Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-1 (SpX-1) LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 172057 times)

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
Could the extra performance required from the second stage to reach orbit after first stage problem have depleted the second stage in such a way that it wasn't able to perform the Orbcomm part of the mission ?

That apperas to be the case.  Not enough prop to go to the orbcomm release orbit so realeased lower.  Dragon will have to do a larger out of plane burn but within limits.

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
Could the extra performance required from the second stage to reach orbit after first stage problem have depleted the second stage in such a way that it wasn't able to perform the Orbcomm part of the mission ?

Gravity loss from one engine out in first stage for 90 seconds is probably < 50 m/s, ...

hopefully a little less, given the explosion and debris shedding ;)

NOTE: this is an updates thread.  "explosion" and "debris" is speculation.  The official facts made known are that an engine anomaly occurred and the engine was shut down early.  Nothing else at this point.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 01:24 pm by Chandonn »

Offline Tcommon

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Gravity loss from one engine out in first stage for 90 seconds is probably < 50 m/s, ...

NOTE: this is an updates thread.  "explosion" and "debris" is speculation.  The official facts made known are that an engine anomaly occurred and the engine was shut down early.  Nothing else at this point.
no, there was an explosion and debris shedding. the video is clear. no doubt about it.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
One more time:  THIS IS AN UPDATES THREAD.

First stage anomaly discussion should go into the general discussion thread here, where all of the above ideas are well hashed out.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29130.0
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 01:33 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17

no, there was an explosion and debris shedding. the video is clear. no doubt about it.

Plenty of doubt.  remember how every blemish we saw during shuttle heat shield examination looked severe?  Keep this thread clean!  There's no room for rampant speculation!  Chris B. and the mods are going to have a hellova time cleaning this junk out of here before archiving it!

Offline Archer

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3

That apperas to be the case.  Not enough prop to go to the orbcomm release orbit so realeased lower.  Dragon will have to do a larger out of plane burn but within limits.
Haven't they said in post-launch conference that Orbcomm satellite was released to planned orbit?
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering. (c) R. A. Heinlein

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
I can't find a time for the next press conference (I read something like Monday evening). Is the time already set?

You're probably recalling the post-launch news conference that was scheduled for last night.

I doubt they will have another presser before berthing.  And normally I might even doubt that they would have one AFTER the berthing, but with the engine-out anomaly there will probably be press interest so they'll need to clear the air.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Haven't they said in post-launch conference that Orbcomm satellite was released to planned orbit?

No, only that it was released successfully.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
No word on GNC bay door ?  Any Spacex folks online?

Offline Chris Bergin

Updates only on this thread. Engine speculation in the general thread please.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115

Gravity loss from one engine out in first stage for 90 seconds is probably < 50 m/s, whereas the injection burn for Orbcomm was supposed to be around 100 m/s and you'd think they'd have SOME performance margin, paricularly with such a lightly-loaded Dragon.

they're in (almost) the same orbit as ISS - they're probably quite picky about whether to fire up the engine again, they don't want to be releasing the Orbcomm bird in an orbit that might intersect with ISS.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
No word on GNC bay door ?  Any Spacex folks online?

Does anyone have any updates on this and the general health of the vehicle and if the secondary payload successfully deployed?
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Just watch this thread. As updates become available, they will be posted. That is not the type of information Chris keeps private.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
Dragon and ISS tracking

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=25544|38846

Offline Space Pete

The silence surrounding the GNC door is starting to worry me. It should have opened by now, and it's not like SpaceX to ignore facts surrounding successful milestones.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 04:32 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
The silence surrounding the GNC door is starting to worry me. It should have opened by now, and it's not like SpaceX to ignore facts surrounding successful milestones.

True, but with all the engine anomaly business they may just be waiting to get the whole picture before saying anything. That's prudent.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Did SpaceX announce anything about the GNC door during C2+?  The thing I find in the archives here is something from NASA PAO.

Today is a U.S. federal holiday, so official updates we get from NASA today are a bonus.

Offline Space Pete

Phew, that little GNC door scares me more than the Orbiter ET doors!
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 05:56 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
SpaceX can be like this sometimes.  The last flight of Falcon-1 passed in virtually a media black-out despite the fact that Falcon-1 performed very well and later issues were all the fault of the spacecraft, not the LV.

I just think that, after something isn't new anymore, SpaceX loses its usual rah-rah enthusiasm about communicating milestones.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
Dragon
Two Line Element Set (TLE):
looks fine to me.. then I am no expert..

« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 06:48 pm by input~2 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography