Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2  (Read 643482 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #260 on: 04/27/2014 01:57 am »
Thanks!

However, that is pretty limiting for spacecraft attitude. Probably doable, though, if you are just using it as a non-critical supplement to the batteries.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #261 on: 04/28/2014 02:20 pm »
I think it goes both ways, here. Not contradicting what you said, just expounding on the comment from Ferguson: CST-100 may retain enough battery power to do the whole mission (in a slightly accelerated mode) with batteries-only if BOTH arrays fail to open, like was discussed with cargo Dragon.

From what we have seen from Boeing, the Arrays wont need to deploy, they will just sit on the end of the CST-100 SM:

Good find, I like it. Seems like it's a pretty flexible spacecraft and good design.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #262 on: 04/28/2014 04:47 pm »
I think it goes both ways, here. Not contradicting what you said, just expounding on the comment from Ferguson: CST-100 may retain enough battery power to do the whole mission (in a slightly accelerated mode) with batteries-only if BOTH arrays fail to open, like was discussed with cargo Dragon.

From what we have seen from Boeing, the Arrays wont need to deploy, they will just sit on the end of the CST-100 SM:

Thanks! Do you have a link to that presentation?
« Last Edit: 04/28/2014 04:51 pm by yg1968 »

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #263 on: 04/28/2014 04:55 pm »

Thanks! Do you have a link to that presentation?

http://events.aviationweek.com/html/ad13/Nov%2013_Mulholland.pdf

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #264 on: 04/30/2014 09:14 pm »
Boeing Showcases Future Commercial Spacecraft Interior

Version of CST-100 capsule for non-government space customers

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev., April 30, 2014 -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] today unveiled a new commercial interior of its Crew Space Transportation (CST-100) next-generation manned space capsule, showing how people other than NASA astronauts may one day travel to space. 

Boeing and partner Bigelow Aerospace highlighted the future commercial interior of the capsule it is developing for NASA, while Bigelow showcased a full-scale model of its BA 330 commercial space habitat.

"We are moving into a truly commercial space market and we have to consider our potential  customers – beyond NASA – and what they need in a future commercial spacecraft interior,"  said Chris Ferguson, former Space Shuttle Atlantis commander and current Boeing director of Crew and Mission Operations for the Commercial Crew Program.

Engineers from across Boeing leveraged the company's decades of experience in commercial and government aerospace to design the capsule's interior.

"Boeing's teams have been designing award-winning and innovative interiors for our airplanes since the dawn of commercial aviation," said Rachelle Ornan, regional director of Sales and Marketing for Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Designing the next-generation interior for commercial space is a natural progression. A familiar daytime blue sky scene helps passengers maintain their connection with Earth."

CST-100, developed as part of NASA's Commercial Crew Integrated Capability initiative, is designed to transport up to seven crew members or a mix of crew and cargo to low-Earth-orbit destinations such as the International Space Station and a planned Bigelow station.
Jacques :-)

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #265 on: 04/30/2014 09:26 pm »
Um... yeah, I don't think it will look anything like that. Not event close.

This image gives a decent idea of what they need to pack in there:

Online Eer

• Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #266 on: 04/30/2014 09:41 pm »
Um... yeah, I don't think it will look anything like that. Not event close.

This image gives a decent idea of what they need to pack in there:

Yeah, but won't it look nice in Virgin Galactic trade dress?  Don't you figure that's who their "Commercial Interior" is aiming at?  One pilot, above, 6 passengers below with room to float.

lol - I remember when airplanes used to look like that when they were new ...
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #267 on: 05/01/2014 01:25 am »
Ha, you are right. It certainly looks partially inspired by the Virgin Galactic renderings and mockups. (another case where the reality will be less spectacular)

I also added a mockup picture of the next generation Russian manned spacecraft, which has similar over-the-top clean and spacious mockups:

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #268 on: 05/01/2014 02:08 am »
Looks like Boeing is doing some PR work....

This was on tonight's local tv station.. the Bigelow & Boeing deal.....I need to read above but check out the number of people aboard in the video.
Nice passenger seats & one for the Pilot.

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/positively-lv/In-North-Las-Vegas-a-sneak-peek-at-the-future-of-space-travel--257427871.html
 :D
« Last Edit: 05/01/2014 02:15 am by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
« Reply #269 on: 05/01/2014 03:53 pm »
Looks like Boeing is doing some PR work....

This was on tonight's local tv station.. the Bigelow & Boeing deal.....I need to read above but check out the number of people aboard in the video.
Nice passenger seats & one for the Pilot.

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/positively-lv/In-North-Las-Vegas-a-sneak-peek-at-the-future-of-space-travel--257427871.html
 :D

Interesting. 9 passengers + 1 pilot, 30 million USD / pax in 10-15 years.

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #270 on: 05/01/2014 03:54 pm »
10 people packed in a CST-100? Are they trying to make Soyuz look spacious? ;)

That has to be a misunderstanding.

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
« Reply #271 on: 05/01/2014 03:59 pm »

From the video in that link, they appear to be talking about some kind of hypothetical successor to the CST-100 adapted for civil/bigelow space transportation.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #272 on: 05/01/2014 05:58 pm »
Since Boeing has taken the cargo space out food, water, oxygen, clothing and experiments would have to go up on a second launch.

Online collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #273 on: 05/01/2014 08:41 pm »

It is not a misunderstanding. If the sole purpose of the flight is to deliver passengers to a commercial space station, such as Bigelow has planned using its BA 330 modules, then the CST-100's new commercial interior can be configured to seat nine passengers and one pilot.

That said, the way the cabin is designed, the "overhead bins" of the spaceliner occupy the same space as the seats, so for each storage space the customer wants, they lose a chair. Bigelow envisions flights with six crew members.

So it is a maximum of ten people with the actual number to be dictated by the customer's needs.

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #274 on: 05/01/2014 09:29 pm »

It is not a misunderstanding. If the sole purpose of the flight is to deliver passengers to a commercial space station, such as Bigelow has planned using its BA 330 modules, then the CST-100's new commercial interior can be configured to seat nine passengers and one pilot.

That said, the way the cabin is designed, the "overhead bins" of the spaceliner occupy the same space as the seats, so for each storage space the customer wants, they lose a chair. Bigelow envisions flights with six crew members.

So it is a maximum of ten people with the actual number to be dictated by the customer's needs.

I'm still not seeing it. Look at the the middle top part of the first image below - that is how 7 seats will be arranged.

Then look at the 2nd image. There is no "overhead bins" space in the CST pressurized volume - certainly not enough for seats to be placed up there. (the 3rd image as well)

So how do they fit 3 more seats? Unless they plan on having people sit in each others laps, it would be veeeery tight.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2014 09:54 pm by Lars_J »

Online collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #275 on: 05/01/2014 10:22 pm »
I'm still not seeing it.

That's because you're looking at the wrong CST-100 configuration.

What's being discussed now is the new commercial version (non-NASA) of the capsule, revealed Wednesday. The seating arrangement, types of seats, storage and other elements are different for commercial passengers.

"Overhead bins" wasn't meant to be taken literally. They aren't overhead. The bins are interchangeable with the seats. In the rendering linked below, where you see a bin is where another seat could go.

See here: http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=129058#assets_117

« Last Edit: 05/01/2014 10:32 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #276 on: 05/01/2014 11:06 pm »
Yes, but I suspect that any Boeing engineer that actually works on the CST-100 would find that rendering quite amusing. IKEA chairs with no shock absorption capability. No room for ECCLS or other flight systems. (since the cabin now extends all the way down to the bottom of the pressurized structure - these systems appear to be taking up the bottom 1ft of the NASA configuration)

You might think I am being biased here, but if SpaceX (or SnC) unveils something as outlandish on May 29, I will happily decry it as equally fantastic.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #277 on: 05/02/2014 12:36 am »

Nope, I questioned it myself (you know how I like to question everything) ;D

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25395862/nlv-company-gets-closer-to-building-space-stations
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Online collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #278 on: 05/02/2014 01:13 am »
Yes, but I suspect that any Boeing engineer that actually works on the CST-100 would find that rendering quite amusing.

According to Boeing, the renderings were produced in consultation with the CST-100 engineering team.

Offline TrevorMonty

The good news is that it sounds like all 3 CC vehicles are going to be built with or without NASA funding.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography