Author Topic: Super Sunday thoughts before bedtime thread  (Read 13109 times)

Offline Joffan

Re: Super Sunday thoughts before bedtime thread
« Reply #20 on: 09/30/2013 10:41 pm »
Fantastic work from Chris and all the NSF crew and "special sources" to cover a dream day for space flight. Thanks!

And appreciation also for everyone else on the site who chips in with their thoughts, understanding, enthusiasm and sometimes stop-and-think questions.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline SpaceXfan

• Toronto
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #21 on: 10/01/2013 01:10 am »
As a newbie it was very impressive to see how this site covered the events yesterday. Not sure how I coped before I found the site!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #22 on: 10/01/2013 02:42 am »
It really was an amazing day.  Even though I had to work, I could still check here to see what updates there were.  I am very happy to have joined up at such a time, but very sad to have missed all of the Shuttle fun here!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #23 on: 10/01/2013 03:36 am »
Wow, what a day!
You've created something special here, and it really shines on days like Sunday.  Hopefully some of the companies who's fascinating machines were featured on the day (o.k., I'm really only thinking about one in particular) will find a way to better communicate what they are doing in real time - and where better than here?   

- Ed Kyle 

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #24 on: 10/01/2013 04:16 am »
As a newbie it was very impressive to see how this site covered the events yesterday. Not sure how I coped before I found the site!

I don't know your age, but I'm an "oldbie" who remembers following Gemini and Apollo missions back in the 1960s.  In those days, we were completely dependent on what the major TV networks chose to cover.  That was before videocassette recorders became widely available, so most people had no ability to record TV programs.  You either watched what the networks showed when they showed it, or else you missed it and had to read about it in the newspaper the next day.  You had to wait a week or two to see decent color photos in Life magazine and similar publications.

Of course, I miss things like manned lunar landings, but our ability to follow spaceflight activities in real time has never been better than it is today, thanks in no small part to NSF.com and other websites.  Yesterday we watched hours of coverage of the approach and berthing of Cygnus on NASA TV, listening to the air-to-ground communications between the astronauts and Mission Control without commercial breaks.  Instead of TV commentators talking over the live communications, "dumbing it down" for the masses, we could listen in while reading intelligent and unobtrusive commentary by the members here.

While SpaceX's live coverage got messed up somewhat, within hours amateur videos were showing up on YouTube, some of them of very good quality and from a variety of vantage points.  It's almost as if the launch coverage was "crowdsourced".

Finally, we got to watch the Russian Proton launch, which would have been flatly impossible back in the old days.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 05:28 am by rickl »
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #25 on: 10/01/2013 04:49 am »
I dare say this thread needs to be a sticky.  It's a good, reinspiring one for the days when the red tape feels like quicksand / molasses / Scylla and Charybdis / a thick cloud of gnats / a cloud of wasps / Douglas Adams flyswatters / a continentally-long brick wall.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #26 on: 10/01/2013 06:31 am »
Douglas Adams

That is the greatest way to describe the messy political situation I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 06:32 am by NovaSilisko »

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #27 on: 10/01/2013 07:38 am »
Sunday was an awesome day, a historic day.  A great day for the commercial space sector.  And I got to share the a Falcon 9 1.1 launch live on my iPad, with my brother and a family friend.  Neither are space enthusiasts like me but they were amazed and thought it was pretty cool.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #28 on: 10/03/2013 01:19 am »
It was an awesome Sunday. The bad thing about a really awesome day in space is that my productivity plummets as I consume as much information as I can...
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Tony T. Harris

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #29 on: 10/03/2013 01:41 pm »
Sure is different to the days before the internet! Once you learn how to avoid the noise on the internet you do find gems like this site, so I think it's progress.
Former Saturn V propulsion systems lead engineer.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography