Author Topic: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com News Site Launch  (Read 82563 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8817
  • Likes Given: 7823
Re: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com New Site Launch
« Reply #60 on: 12/21/2017 12:42 pm »
My vote also for a "Dark Theme Option" and  "Active Discussion" at the top.  I do a lot of night reading and it would help with the pain of changing the monitor settings back and forth.

TonyD.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #61 on: 12/21/2017 01:05 pm »
Great looking new site Chris but you are missing one very useful thing that other sites like Spaceflightnow have.
You need a Launch Schedule button or link at the top of your main page.
I used to hunt around Nasaspaceflight looking for advance notice of future launches to set my schedule but I gave up when I discovered that Spaceflightnow had one.
I prefer to use your web site so if you could add one, it would be helpful and much appreciated.
KBO!

Is the calendar of any help? (button on menu bar in forum)

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=calendar

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #62 on: 12/21/2017 01:38 pm »
Great looking new site Chris but you are missing one very useful thing that other sites like Spaceflightnow have.
I used to hunt around Nasaspaceflight looking for advance notice of future launches to set my schedule but I gave up when I discovered that Spaceflightnow had one.
I prefer to use your web site so if you could add one, it would be helpful and much appreciated.
KBO!

It sure is!
Can't believe I missed that.
Thanks.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #63 on: 12/21/2017 01:58 pm »
KBO!

It's on the (probably rather long) list...  :)
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43826.0

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #64 on: 12/21/2017 04:01 pm »
KBO!

It sure is!
Can't believe I missed that.
Thanks.

A couple of ideas to help?

First; It might not be a bad idea to limit the data in the calendar to simply; Payload, Launch Vehicle and launch location.  Date, time and other data can be gotten from the link to the forum that's linked in the calendar.

Second; Putting the Calendar link on the main page would also be a good idea.  It would allow people unfamiliar with the layout to access the info more directly, and still lead to the forums.

Just a couple of thoughts...
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #65 on: 12/21/2017 05:37 pm »
Here's how the site looks in 4K.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #66 on: 12/21/2017 08:03 pm »
Wow. Normal PC, but on a 4K telly?

PS I don't think I'd ever consider Doncaster! ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #67 on: 12/21/2017 08:10 pm »
Wow. Normal PC, but on a 4K telly?

PS I don't think I'd ever consider Doncaster! ;D

Yup, PC hooked up to a 4K TV. I use it for gaming and media, it's not really any good for general web browsing as most sites aren't optimised for 4K.

And yeah, stay away from Doncaster. I hear it's almost as bad as York! ;D
« Last Edit: 12/21/2017 08:11 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #68 on: 12/21/2017 08:14 pm »
I like the new site. Only gripe is that active discussion area now much harder to find on desktop and on a mobile device; REALLY hard to see.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #69 on: 12/21/2017 08:24 pm »
Thank you for all the hard work in updating the site. Works good in Windows 7 Explorer and on one of My PCs' for updated Firefox, my second PC Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit doesn't like the homepage in Firefox (all jumbled/left oriented) and I get a 404 for the "recent forum posts" discussions. Tried playing with Adblocker on/off and deleting cookies. Nothing yet, will try clearing cache next I guess... Keep at it! :)
« Last Edit: 12/21/2017 09:35 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #70 on: 12/21/2017 08:35 pm »
I use a 42 inch TV about 12 years old, got it second hand last year... it has a secondary use as an electric heater this time of year... I just tried to do a cut and paste for an image to attach here, but it's going to be HUGE!! 1920x10,000+ pixels.. not a good idea.. :D have no problem with the getting to the active forum posts, but the number of double imaged articles on the left could be trimmed... 20 seems a bit excessive...  just my opinion, it's not really a hardship with a wheel mouse... btw, all my hardware is either free or cheap, all "flight proven" :D :D You should look into it Chris... Especially this time of year, when people start upgrading their TV's
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 12/21/2017 08:39 pm »
I like the new site. Only gripe is that active discussion area now much harder to find on desktop and on a mobile device; REALLY hard to see.

We're absolutely going to have a think about active discussions placement. Let's get mega launch Friday out of the way and have a review. I liked it, but the mob has spoken! ;D
« Last Edit: 12/21/2017 08:39 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #72 on: 12/21/2017 08:47 pm »

We're absolutely going to have a think about active discussions placement. Let's get mega launch Friday out of the way and have a review. I liked it, but the mob has spoken! ;D

Now that I've been using it I too agree that discussions are too hidden. The first thing I look for when I come to the website is to see what everyone is talking about, so having to scroll to the bottom of the page to find out what the hot topics are seems to discourage discussions - which I know is not the intent.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #73 on: 12/21/2017 09:03 pm »
I agree about the difficulty in finding the forums. Just put some buttons near the top, or a floating control panel/menu.

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #74 on: 12/21/2017 09:05 pm »
my main computer hooked up to TV is a Gateway 64 bit windows 7 ultimate, i3 chip, 550 @ 3.20GHz
16 GB memory
on s shared router, 15mb ASDL last mile copper..

I have 6 browsers open, Chrome, Firefox, Opera Neon, Opera Regular, Safari and MS Explorer
no problems... a little slow down on loading, nothing over 15 seconds...

On all the browsers the forum posts selection pops up after the ads on the right, half way down, at fifth News Article, as seen in the image;
then it follows on the right side as I scroll down through the rest of the articles..
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #75 on: 12/21/2017 09:08 pm »
Bah, clearing cookies, cache, reboot didn't work... May need an exorcist... :o

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #76 on: 12/21/2017 09:58 pm »
Maybe show more than the 5 most recent forum posts. Some days, that buries stuff that may have been interesting.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #77 on: 12/21/2017 10:44 pm »

That screenshot is funny, as it has some content from the old site and the mobile theme from the new site. Something very wrong in your browser there. :)

PS. HOW many tabs do you have open! :o My PC grinds to a halt when I go over six tabs.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #78 on: 12/21/2017 10:58 pm »

That screenshot is funny, as it has some content from the old site and the mobile theme from the new site. Something very wrong in your browser there. :)

PS. HOW many tabs do you have open! :o My PC grinds to a halt when I go over six tabs.
I lost count of how many on different windows... ;D I believe more open windows uses more resources than tabs. Perhaps a RAM upgrade would help? We can start a go fund me page for that on here, I'm sure many will chip in! :)

Offline kitmatthews

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #79 on: 12/22/2017 12:12 am »
I followed a link here from reddit, and after a few minutes of reading I thought "wow this is really good content, I wonder why I've never seen this website before". Then I realized where I was. :P  The only issue I see is with the "Pages" indicator at the bottom of lengthy articles. The blue box indicates which other pages can be navigated to, rather than which page the reader is currently on. This is the opposite of the way it is done on the forums, which is confusing.
Otherwise the new site looks great!
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 12:13 am by kitmatthews »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography