Author Topic: NASASpaceflight.com L2 Overview and Q&A (2010 to 2015)  (Read 302197 times)

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: NASASpaceflight.com L2 Updated Overview and Q&A
« Reply #20 on: 09/03/2010 10:36 pm »
LOL!  Aobrien and Space Pete beat me to it.  I now have an external 200gb drive thanks to this site and select others (gotta' love those high res images from the NASA sites)!
« Last Edit: 09/03/2010 10:36 pm by PahTo »

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #21 on: 09/03/2010 10:44 pm »
When you become a L2 member, do you get to actually download presentations, like pdfs and get to keep them? Or are they only in some window viewer?

And the videos too, all of it!

Offline TerryNaylor

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #22 on: 09/14/2010 04:02 pm »
When you become a L2 member, do you get to actually download presentations, like pdfs and get to keep them? Or are they only in some window viewer?

And the videos too, all of it!

Yeah, started going through those today. Had no idea how big this L2 database is. The promo videos don't do it justice at all, really impressive videos.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 10/14/2010 10:47 pm »
Don't forget to get your L2 in for 133. Already heating up, but nothing compared to the Flight Days.

What the MMT see, you'll see.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #24 on: 10/15/2010 04:53 am »
Don't forget to get your L2 in for 133. Already heating up, but nothing compared to the Flight Days.

Adding that during flight days, you'll see live what the MMT sees - not like their console, but Chris passes everything along as he gets it, no wait time.  Much appreciated, Chris.

Offline DaveJSC

• ISS FCR. Former Shuttle FCR
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #25 on: 11/08/2010 06:49 pm »

Even though we never got that far as launching, the IPR coverage has been superb, and I say that as someone who works the missions in the MER. Hearing from the ACTUAL techs who are working on the leaks beats any official notes, as much as we see those here too. A lot of praise to the Kennedy team dealing with this stubborn shuttle.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 01/13/2011 04:30 pm »
Note the addition of a seventh L2 section, which is already rocking and rolling with exclusive coolness.

The updated main sign-up and overview/intro page:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/L2/

The above page should provide all you need, but for an extensive overview, here are three large overview posts:

New promo video for NSF and L2, kindly created by www.stormsurgemedia.com - run by Richard, who is an active member on site.

L2 is now seven main sections:

1) Mission Special Section:
Covers specific mission content, from PRCB baseline presentations, daily NTD/KSC integration level processing coverage, FRR presentation coverage, MMT pre-launch and Flight Day coverage, through to post flight IFA, etc.

2) International Space Station Section:
Operational manuals, Assembly and Robotics Presentations, SSPCB notes, 8th Floors, Russian documentation, Tour videos etc.

3) Russian Space Flight:
Documentation, Photos, Updates and Video on the Russian/Soviet Space Program, from MIR to Buran (four long exclusive videos in Russian), through to the ISS modules and the Russian "ESAS" presentations (55/500mb) on their next generation vehicle.

4) Space Flight L2: Shuttle and current vehicles Section:
Future flight processing and documentation, Previous mission documentation (post RTF), General documentation, Extension studies, Shuttle manuals (SCOMs etc), SSME bibles, SRB/RSRM bibles (master presentations). A lot of the tag cloud content lives there.

5) Constellation To Future Plan Transition Section:
Large amount of Ares and Orion presentations from the beginning to present. COTS/CRS (NASA side), Commercial (EELV). Very much filling up with SD HLV and HLV presentations. Future KSC hardware such as the new ML master sections. Lots more, anything on any future videos is located in there. Includes a good number of videos.

6) Historical Section: From the first days of Cape Canaveral, through to Saturn/Apollo and the early days of the shuttle program. Huge amount of images (400Gb at last estimate). Full Hi Res images from nearly every mission. Orbiter construction in California. Apollo, Gemini and videos. MER reports for every mission. Old Skool vehicles from the days of the Atlantic Missile Range. Too many elements to mention.

7) Video Section:
Home of several full re-entry videos taken from a hand-held camcorder on the flight deck. Every STA training video from all runways from all three primary landing site. MOD flight controller training class videos (really cool). VAB/PAD/OPF tour video. Videos from engineers such as lighting the flare stack. Personal tours of Dryden and inside the SCAs. Four very long and unreleased Buran videos. SRB re-entry video from recovery ship etc, Covers lots of vehicles over lots of years.
Some L2 video samples:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9944.msg189521#msg189521

Everything on L2 is not available on ANY other site. On the rare occasions we do break news/images etc, and a few weeks later NASA decide to release them publicly, we move it off L2.

Each section has a request (Shopping List) form, which our sources (we have a lot of those) use to send us further L2 information as per request. You can also post further questions on the information in L2 due to the forum format. One of the major strengths of L2 is the large amount of actual space industry on L2 who are happy to answer questions/elaborate on what is contained in there, especially during missions.

Six main sections are splintered off into over a 100 specific clickable topic areas, accessed via the L2 tag cloud, allowing for a menu of content from mission specific to vehicle specific and even hardware specific. See second post for a walkthrough.

The entire database is well over 4,500gbs in size and over four years of building – containing information that ranges from the present, to the future, and as far back as the start of the space program. It's updated literally daily with new content.

Your subscription warrants your use of our servers for unlimited downloading, in turn allowing the revenue gained from L2 subscriptions to be used to improve the site, keep the majority of the site and news as free access, and playing a part in helping NASASpaceflight.com’s present and future stability.

All L2 revenue is used solely on paying the large costs of hosting such a massive site. Nobody takes a salary from NSF, we all have other 'day jobs'. We're not asking for donations in return for a thank you, we're thanking you by giving you access to easily best subscription area related to space, and arguably on any subject given the level and range of content.

Nothing on L2 is ITAR, Export Control or Proprietary.

Previous overview thread - which has additional information and background:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=9944.0)

Previous L2 Promo video. Thanks to the guys at MaxQ - and still relevant:

Please feel free to post reviews of L2 if you're a member, or questions if you're thinking of joining.

Two place holders to follow for additional information.

Updated main signup and overview/intro page:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/L2/
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #27 on: 01/13/2011 05:22 pm »
Note the addition of a seventh L2 section, which is already rocking and rolling with exclusive coolness.

And what a kick-ass section it is!

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #28 on: 01/13/2011 10:55 pm »
I agree. L2 justs gets better and better.  8)

Offline Maverick

• Newcastle, England - UK
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #29 on: 01/19/2011 01:54 pm »
I agree. L2 justs gets better and better.  8)

Thirded, or fourthed, or fifthed :)

Offline Robert Malison

• Madison, WI
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #30 on: 02/08/2011 06:20 pm »
I have a question. I would like to join L2.

One some subscription sites, you get charged concurrently until you cancel. It seems you only pay once and if you don't renew it just runs out? I prefer that, so is L2 like that?

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: 02/08/2011 06:22 pm »

One some subscription sites, you get charged concurrently until you cancel. It seems you only pay once and if you don't renew it just runs out? I prefer that, so is L2 like that?

Robert

There is a good description of L2 here

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/

Basically you buy the time you want and about a month or so before it expires you get an Email notification to remind you to renew... If you choose not to renew then it just expires
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 02/08/2011 06:34 pm »

Thanks to Roger above and to expand. We didn't like the idea of having people tied to some sort of contract on a reoccurring payment - didn't seem at all fair where you have to physically cancel to avoid renewal payments.

So with us you pay for your term and near the end of the term I personally (no e-mail bots here) send you a renewal notice about a week or so before your term is set to end - offering you the option to renew (any term period)....and if you renew before the end of your term, the difference is added on to your new term period.

If you don't want to renew, you don't have to do anything and the term simply comes to an end when your term expires. Plus, if you want, you can jump back on L2 any time after the end of term.

Most people renew before the end of term as we're always adding content to L2 daily.

Our renewal rate stands at 94 percent.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2011 06:35 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Robert Malison

• Madison, WI
« Reply #33 on: 02/08/2011 07:52 pm »
Thanks! Will join this week!

Your subscription warrants your use of our servers for unlimited downloading, in turn allowing the revenue gained from L2 subscriptions to be used to improve the site, keep the majority of the site and news as free access, and playing a part in helping NASASpaceflight.com’s present and future stability.

All L2 revenue is used solely on paying the large costs of hosting such a massive site. Nobody takes a salary from NSF, we all have other 'day jobs'. We're not asking for donations in return for a thank you, we're thanking you by giving you access to easily best subscription area related to space, and arguably on any subject given the level and range of content.

Didn't know that. I love all the site already and that encourges me to know I'm helping the site as a whole too.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 02/08/2011 08:33 pm »
Excellent, thanks for your support Robert - and that is exactly what it is. No L2, no site, simply as that. L2 members aren't paying for content, they are paying to support the site and getting rewarded for their support by being able to access the coolness of L2.

Just a few years back we'd lag and go down when the site was busy on live event threads etc. Now we're up all the time, even at levels of 200+ page impressions per second because we're on top notch dedicated servers, which we can afford because of L2 revenue. There's no way we'd be able to self fund it and ad revenue fell through the bottom of the floor on the internet years ago.

So those people who aren't L2 members, but use the site and enjoy it should know it's thanks to L2 members and the revenue/support they've provided which is why the site runs as well as it does, while those L2 members are getting rewarded with a lot of cool stuff :)

Offline jryodabobs

• Houston
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: 02/09/2011 02:50 pm »
. . . L2 members are getting rewarded with a lot of cool stuff :)
Yes, we are, Chris. Thanks for all your hard work that makes it possible.

Bob Stevenson

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #36 on: 02/09/2011 03:25 pm »
Excellent, thanks for your support Robert - and that is exactly what it is. No L2, no site, simply as that. L2 members aren't paying for content, they are paying to support the site and getting rewarded for their support by being able to access the coolness of L2.

Just a few years back we'd lag and go down when the site was busy on live event threads etc. Now we're up all the time, even at levels of 200+ page impressions per second because we're on top notch dedicated servers, which we can afford because of L2 revenue. There's no way we'd be able to self fund it and ad revenue fell through the bottom of the floor on the internet years ago.

So those people who aren't L2 members, but use the site and enjoy it should know it's thanks to L2 members and the revenue/support they've provided which is why the site runs as well as it does, while those L2 members are getting rewarded with a lot of cool stuff :)

I would just like to add something here, as well. The L2 revenue goes entirely to site maintenance and upkeep. Chris and I (or any of the article contributors here) do not draw a salary or paycheck. We do all our work solely as volunteers. So the money spent on L2 subscriptions really does go to site maintenance and upkeep.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #37 on: 02/09/2011 03:55 pm »

I would just like to add something here, as well. The L2 revenue goes entirely to site maintenance and upkeep. Chris and I (or any of the article contributors here) do not draw a salary or paycheck. We do all our work solely as volunteers. So the money spent on L2 subscriptions really does go to site maintenance and upkeep.

And all this time I've been expecting a big paycheck in the mail! ;)

Seriously, I completely agree. I don't write for money. I write because I love doing it, and for the pleasure of giving something back to this fantastic community.

From an ISS perspective (would you expect anything else from me? ;D), I can tell you that since I've had L2, my knowledge of the ISS has increased tenfold. L2 members get ISS news at least a day or more before it appears anywhere else. Most of the ISS stuff on L2 doesn't even get a mention anywhere else, not even in the NASA ISS On-Orbit Status reports. The level of detail in the status notes is amazing. There's a wealth of ISS training manuals, too.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Robert Malison

• Madison, WI
« Reply #38 on: 02/11/2011 09:37 pm »
Signed up for two months earlier today and now I regret I had...

..........because it's amazing and I should have signed up for longer :D

Those resub comments turned out to be helpful as I will be resubbbing in two months. No way will I get through all this cool stuff this year nevermind in two months.

Best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 02/11/2011 09:41 pm »
Heh! That's great to hear, and thanks for making me fall off my chair at first ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography