Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SES-10 with reuse of CRS-8 Booster SN/1021 : 2017-03-30 : UPDATES  (Read 343673 times)

Offline watermod

• Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 153
Thanks for a completely new lease and face on space!
Look forward to the future you have created!

Online AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
Congratulations to everyone involved with this historic mission. This was a fun launch to run a parody account for (Pad 39A).

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
It's all over the news here:  :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/spacexs-recycled-falcon-9-rocket-blasts-off-in-world-first/8404218

http://www.smh.com.au/business/innovation/spacex-pulls-off-first-reused-rocket-mission-in-triumph-for-elon-musk-20170330-gvakh7.html

..including the oft-used line:  "Gwynne has promised us parts of the rocket," said SES Chief Technology Officer Martin Halliwell. "We want them for the SES board room."
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 02:17 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Mikeace1

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Congrats SpaceX.  I watched it with my 8 year old daughter, and she said if it blew up on landing she was going to cry.  After it landed, she said if she was at Hawthorne, she would be screaming her head off.  The  realization that she knew what was at stake and how it would change the world makes me a proud dad.  'Merica.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
Flawless relaunch of a F9 booster. Picture perfect mission.

This amazing accomplishment leaves me with just one thought, the Daft Punk song:

One more time !
One more time !

One more time !
I gonna celebrate !
Oh yeah, all right
Don't stop the dancing !

A toast for this to become routine !
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
Thanks, congratulations to Mr. E. Musk and his vision. Today was an historic first, and I am referring to the fairing recovery, I hope we will have more details soon. From the engineering point of view the second flight and landing on the barge were not really a surprise, as the SES person said. But the fairing recovery was what I have been hoping for years! What a dream become reality!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Congratulations once again to SpaceX and to Elon Musk.  Fairing half recovery.  Seriously?  That man, Mr. Musk, what is one to say?  He leads. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline Brian Mc

• APOLLO LUNAR SURVEYOR
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 1
Congratulations to Space X and all involved!

A truly epic day in spaceflight.

We now live in a world where expendable boosters are no longer the way forward or even acceptable.

Offline S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 511
I'm with ed. There's nothing left to say. Historical first reflight.... Plus fairing recovery is crazy.  Wow.

Elon's ability to take risk and make it his (dog) is second to none.

Congrats SpX.  You've earned that place in the history books.
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 2002
What a day!  I've been celebrating tonight with grilled steaks and beer.  So I hope this congratulatory post makes sense to everyone here at NSF, because I think most of the people here are at least as enthused as I am about today's spectacular launch!

Almost 3 years ago, I first joined the NSF community to learn as much as I could about the crazy new commercial launch provider that was attempting to develop a RE-USABLE rocket, in an era of spaceflight stagnation.  I spent hours poring through the massive video restoration thread, watching as the landmark clip of a rocket stage firing its engines and deploying landing gear above the atlantic was painstakingly salvaged from an (almost!) hopelessly mangled mpeg file.

Today feels like the culmination of SpaceX's efforts.  Irrefutable proof that re-use is not only possible, but that it is THE next step forward for spaceflight. 

Even if SpaceX doesn't realize its ultimate goal of taking humanity to Mars, I think history will show that today's relaunch & landing is a watershed moment for space travel.  Every government agency and commercial space provider will now seriously invest in re-usable spaceflight systems, if they weren't convinced already.  Elon Musk was right when he said that this is necessary if we aspire to be multi-planetary as a species.

I am grateful to NSF for the continuous, dedicated, intelligent coverage of all things related to space exploration.  It is one of a few sites that I visit daily.  It is my antidote for depressing political news coverage.  It is a daily dose of optimism, much needed.

Congratulations to SpaceX for today's milestone - and succesfull fairing recovery as the cherry on top!

Congratulations and thank you to SES for taking a chance on a flight proven rocket!

Kudos to NASA, because they have been supportive of SpaceX's endeavors every step of the way - as Elon Musk acknowledges at every opportunity.  So cool that the launch happened at 39-A.  Hallowed ground indeed!

Offline punder

• Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 1436
YouTube mirror of Everyday Astronaut's recording of the post-mission press briefing:

That was the most amazing press conference I've ever seen. Way to go Chris G!

What a day...

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
Congratulations to Elon Musk and everybody at SpaceX! Wow, glad to witness history. This is the stuff we will tell our kids about!

Launch & Land & Re-launch!
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 1868
  • Likes Given: 909
The future began today. Congratulations SpaceX and E. Musk.

Offline joek

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1096
Congratulations SpaceX.  Thanks for continuing to push the envelope (and the industry).  That everything proceeded routinely and with no drama or fanfare (at least visible to us outside observers) is causing me a bit of cognitive dissonance, but is the greatest compliment I can think of.

Offline fthomassy

• Austin, Texas, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky-Way, Virgo, Bang 42
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 2952
SpaceX:  Wow, one more milestone. You made it look easy!
NSF:  Thank you Chris B and Steve for the simulcast coverage with the livestream!  But Chris G you were the real stand out today throughout the launch, historical landing and that amazing presser.  Glad you were there!
gyatm . . . Fern

Offline ppb

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 202
  • Likes Given: 159
A watershed day in the history of spaceflight. And they snuck in fairing recovery to boot.  Musk is a real visionary.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 05:04 am by ppb »

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
What a wonderful gift! 
Today's historic re-launch and re-landing made my millenium... though I'll be arguing for weeks against my tinfoil-hat brother about the camera blackout of the landing itself...  even a CGI artist apparently can be fooled into thinking that it's impossible to land a rocket like god and Heinlein intended!
Go SpaceX!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
Historic launch photos from SpaceX.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
Lots of congratulations from the industry, here's a selection:

Congrats to @SpaceX !  Great accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/george_sowers/status/847585555013672963

There will be many milestones as we move forward in space, but today was potentially one of the big ones.  Congratulations to all on #SES10
https://twitter.com/jeffgreason/status/847587036378705921

Well, that was inspiring! Kudos to our friends at @SpaceX on an extremely impressive accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/virgin_orbit/status/847581301028773888

Congratulations @GwynneShotwell @SpaceX
https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/847600221152399360

Incredibly proud of the SpaceX team for achieving this milestone in space! Next goal is reflight within 24 hours.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/847594208219336705

Huge congrats to @SpaceX on today's historic launch of re-used 1st stage & perfect landing...bringing down cost of access to space.
https://twitter.com/astro_timpeake/status/847634059710812160

Today's SpaceX Success was another **NAIL IN THE COFFIN** of the traditional defense launch. Congrats @elonmusk, thank you for opening space
https://twitter.com/peterdiamandis/status/847638934398025728

Congrats @SpaceX on a successful reusable rocket launch and landing #gamechanger
https://twitter.com/reactionengusa/status/847653513165275137

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
How great is that?! Super mega congratulations to Spacex, NASA, and everyone involved. Big thank you to NSF Chris G Chris B and co. for covering this so well. Amazing history making moment, somebody finally managed to re-use a first stage and land it TWICE. How cool is that!

This is the start of a new era here is to hoping the development path continues to improve this stuff. No longer a theory, IT CAN BE DONE!!!
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Tags: Core 1021 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography