Author Topic: Save Atlas 5A (56-6742) rocket from being scrapped - Campaign and Fundraiser  (Read 81297 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I will kick in money to help save this vehicle if it could be organized...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2
For whatever reason, they don't want this artifact, yet last year they acquired hundreds of artifacts, several big and costly.  They're going to display a Titan 4, for example.  It isn't about money.

Yes it is. Money is tied to priorities. If they had more money, they could add this to their priority list. But obviously they have not.

I don't know the inner workings of the Air Force Museum, but from an outsider perspective I am sure that their number one priority right now is building that new building. A couple of years ago sequestration forced them to stop the buses to the R&D and presidential aircraft hangars. They have restarted that, but it highlighted the awkward situation of having dozens of important aircraft in a difficult to reach location that could suddenly be cut off. So I'm sure that put erecting a new building and moving those planes to the public side at the top of their priority list, and it's hard to argue otherwise.

I've also hung around museum curators at times and you would be shocked at how much stuff costs. Transporting that missile anywhere is going to cost tens of thousands of dollars. It requires renting equipment, using specialized equipment, and lots of paperwork like permits, safety inspections, etc. If it is USAF property, imagine the paperwork that has to be dealt with for Canadian customs inspectors.

I'd like to see this Atlas A survive, but if you put yourself in the shoes of these institutions (the Canadian museum and the Air Force Museum) you can see that there are legitimate reasons why it may not be saved.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 12:28 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Rocket Science

One thing I don't get... If this is all about a safety concern, why not just display the rocket horizontally? Something just doesn’t sound right especially coming from a museum. Their concern should be about preserving an artifact...

I don't believe a word of it either. They are also removing the oil well pump ( the green object in the background) due to "safety concerns" after 40 years. I'm beginning to think that every press release these days has to include some  version of "think of the children".

John
John, if you are out at the museum, perhaps you could ask the manager a question... If the rocket is such an immediate hazard to the public, why is the area not cordoned off with a safety fence? I'm curious about their reply...

Thanks
Rob

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1230
  • Likes Given: 529
Back when General Dynamics had their facility in Kearny Mesa in San Diego, there was a little spot called Missile Park with a vertical static display of an Atlas 2E rocket. The effect was similar to the photoshopped ULA HQ earlier in this thread.

Rather than pressurizing the missile (or stuffing it with foam), there was an internal metal structure to keep it vertical and "inflated".

It was there many years until the Cold War ended, the plant was closed and the park handed over to the developers.

Maybe the ULA proposal could be put in terms of a Missile Park II.

Offline Rocket Science

Posted on the Atlas thread:
Cape Canaveral would make a nice home if anyone local would like to ask them.
They show an Atlas F on transporter listed on display.

http://afspacemuseum.org/displays/AtlasF/

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
I'd like to see this Atlas A survive, but if you put yourself in the shoes of these institutions (the Canadian museum and the Air Force Museum) you can see that there are legitimate reasons why it may not be saved.
I can't understand why they would not want this one.  Right now the Museum of the U.S. Air Force does not have an Atlas missile on display.  It has Titan I and II.  It has Thor and Thor-Agena and, for gosh sakes, Jupiter.  It has Minuteman and Peacekeeper.  It will soon have a Titan 4.  It sorely needs an Atlas, a missile and launch vehicle that played critical roles during the Cold War and Space Age.  I don't understand why they wouldn't drive up to Ottawa and snag this one rather than ordering it to be scrapped, because there are no others and there never will be. 

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 02:12 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700

Trying to put something together out there with the Vandenberg museum, They'd like to have it on a theoretical level but getting pushback now.

"We have no space to display it inside"

"USAF Museum is against outdoor displays"

"Money"

"Bureaucracy"

The sad thing is I tweeted ULA a couple days ago asking if they'd like to help and the response I got from ULA chief Tory Bruno was positive.

"Derrick.Stamos ‏@Helodriver2004  Feb 17
@torybruno An old Atlas-A In Canada needs a home. Last of its kind. Vandenberg museum could use it, can't afford to move it. Can ULA help?

Tory Bruno ‏@torybruno  Feb 18
@Helodriver2004 Message me contact info and my people will be in touch to see if we can"

ULA
‏@ulalaunch @Helodriver2004 If you have information/a proposal, please send it to [email protected] and we'll take a look.

If we could stave off the missile's execution for a few more weeks I bet we could save it. Whether it goes to Vandenberg or back to Dayton (where it used to be and really belongs again) or the Cape or a ULA building, it does not matter really so long as its saved.  The feeling I'm getting is that destruction is a matter of being convenient, not necessary and its the perception that the public just doesn't care enough to do the necessary work.

« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 02:38 pm by Helodriver »

Offline Rocket Science

Trying to put something together out there with the Vandenberg museum, They'd like to have it on a theoretical level but getting pushback now.

"We have no space to display it inside"

"USAF Museum is against outdoor displays"

"Money"

"Bureaucracy"

The sad thing is I tweeted ULA a couple days ago asking if they'd like to help and the response I got from ULA chief Tory Bruno was positive.

"Derrick.Stamos ‏@Helodriver2004  Feb 17
@torybruno An old Atlas-A In Canada needs a home. Last of its kind. Vandenberg museum could use it, can't afford to move it. Can ULA help?

Tory Bruno ‏@torybruno  Feb 18
@Helodriver2004 Message me contact info and my people will be in touch to see if we can"

ULA
‏@ulalaunch @Helodriver2004 If you have information/a proposal, please send it to [email protected] and we'll take a look.

If we could stave off the missile's execution for a few more weeks I bet we could save it. Whether it goes to Vandenberg or back to Dayton (where it used to be and really belongs again) or the Cape or a ULA building, it does not matter really so long as its saved.  The feeling I'm getting is that destruction is a matter of being convenient, not necessary and its the perception that the public just doesn't care enough to do the necessary work.
Excellent Helo! :)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Does anyone have an email to someone at the museum so we can plead/beg them to hold off a while?

Offline Helodriver

Does anyone have an email to someone at the museum so we can plead/beg them to hold off a while?

Canada Science and Technology Museum
2421 Lancaster Road
Ottawa, Ontario
CANADA

613-991-3044
[email protected]

I have called and left messages and email but not received a response. Perhaps if more people did we could get them to hold off a little while.

Offline Rocket Science

Canada Science and Technology Museum
2421 Lancaster Road
Ottawa, Ontario
CANADA

613-991-3044
[email protected]

I have called and left messages and email but not received a response. Perhaps if more people did we could get them to hold off a little while.
I'm hoping John-H can speak to someone in person there and make them aware...

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
It would be really great if this missile could be saved.

Barring a rescue of the entire vehicle, would there be value in saving the aft section as a backup plan? It would be much easier to store and ship. At some point in the future it could be reattached to a structurally stable fuselage replica.

Offline Rocket Science

It would be really great if this missile could be saved.

Barring a rescue of the entire vehicle, would there be value in saving the aft section as a backup plan? It would be much easier to store and ship. At some point in the future it could be reattached to a structurally stable fuselage replica.
I guess tha would be up to the Air Force, better than chopping it up into little pieces for future cans of Coke and tuna fish...

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
I would also donate to save this vehicle.

Email to the Museum:

Save the Atlas.

Please delay any destruction of the display Atlas. There are people attempting to fund removal and storage of the rocket to preserve this historic item.

Thank you for your consideration,
Charley S. McCue
Hutchinson, Kansas

Email to the reporter:

Hello Tom,

I wondered if you would be interested that several people have read your article and are interested in saving the Atlas. There were several versions over the years and few examples left. If the Atlas is not destroyed, then we would try to raise the money to remove and store the rocket.

Thanks you for your article,
Charley S. McCue
Hutchinson, Kansas

Shorter seems better to capture their interest and allow them to ask for further details.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
Another place to send messages:

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
1100 Spaatz Street
Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433 (near Dayton)
(937) 255-3286

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/main/contactus.asp

- Ed Kyle

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2

You now have an email address for the Canada museum. Why not send them your money via PayPal and tell them that it is for saving the Atlas?

Offline Rocket Science

You now have an email address for the Canada museum. Why not send them your money via PayPal and tell them that it is for saving the Atlas?
Nope, I’m not going to do it that way as I don’t believe they really want to save the Atlas and the money will disappear. Now If Chris sets up an account through a NSF membership trust dedicated to saving it I will contribute my grocery money for the cause. I may not have your deep pockets but that’s the best I can do.

Offline Helodriver

Someone had to do something.

A Kickstarter campaign had been launched by me.

Spread the word. Widely.

The monies collected (if any) will be 100% used to stop the vehicle's imminent destruction and to transport it to a suitable home at a yet to be determined location.

The main point of this campaign is to demonstrate to the powers that be, the National Museum of the USAF and the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology that the public cares about this vehicle and to hold off the bulldozers and torches and fund the maintenance of the vehicle in its current state until a proper move can be accomplished.

If you cannot donate I completely understand. No one has deep pockets for this sort of thing. If you cannot donate then call/message the USAF museum and the Canadian museum to tell them to hold off destruction.

Public outcry backed up with a plan is the only thing that's going to save this Atlas from the scrapper.

Thanks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/287720970/save-the-atlas
« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 06:27 pm by Helodriver »

Offline Chris Bergin

Changing the thread title to reflect the urgency of this. See Helo's post above.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 06:25 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MarekCyzio

Looks like I am the first backer of this project ;) I also contacted http://www.capemuseum.org/index.html to see if they have any ideas on how to help.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography