Author Topic: Save Atlas 5A (56-6742) rocket from being scrapped - Campaign and Fundraiser  (Read 81307 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
Something like this?

This is a "Lost Ottawa" picture from it's arrival in 1973. It looks to be about the right size for a legal road trailer.

Note the nozzles, conical vs bell shaped.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
But... how many of those trailers are still in existence?  They are sort of non-multi-purpose designs.

I'd guess the trailers are significantly more rare than intact Atlas missiles.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
Something like this?

This is a "Lost Ottawa" picture from it's arrival in 1973. It looks to be about the right size for a legal road trailer.

Note the nozzles, conical vs bell shaped.
Atlas A was supposed to have two 150 Klbf booster engines, but I seem to remember Art LeBrun telling me once that the initial Atlas A's had conical 135 Klbf engines that were basically repurposed Navaho G38 booster engines, or at least thrust chambers and nozzles.  UPDATE:  HERE'S HIS QUOTE: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=14554.msg388219#msg388219
If these engines are still with this Atlas, they alone are crazy historic.

As for the transport trailers, I've seen a couple within the past decade.  One was at the Cape.  One was at USSRC and was later reportedly moved to Dayton.

Here are some Atlas A dimensions, for general information.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 04:05 am by edkyle99 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2
But... how many of those trailers are still in existence?  They are sort of non-multi-purpose designs.

I'd guess the trailers are significantly more rare than intact Atlas missiles.

And even if they exist, are they road-worthy? Do they have working brakes, lights, suspension? Have they been inspected? Are they rusted and structurally unsafe? They're at least 60+ years old.

I have no doubt that this Atlas could be moved to someplace that wanted it given enough time and money, but they're planning on scrapping it in a few weeks. And it is winter.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 03:18 am by Blackstar »

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
    • My ArtStation Portfolio
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 182
Has anyone contacted the ULA? This is a part of thier heritage which is about to get scrapped. They might be interested in saving it.

The Smithsonian?

A complete long-shot, but has anyone thought of asking either Mr. Bezos or Mr. Musk? I ask this as they are people with a fair bit of money who are interested in space flight. It might be that they would want a bit of space history to own. Admittedly a BIG long shot, but might be worth trying to save this bird.

I am probably the least 'connected' member of this forum, but has anyone else on this board mentioned this to any of the people who could possibly intervene in this situation? It may be that they are not aware of the situation. It would be a terrible shame for someone to come forward after the missile is gone and say "I could have saved it if I'd known."

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Here's a link to a newspaper picture of the collapsed Atlas missile
at the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio in 1986. (scroll up to view damage)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19860620&id=s85PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-gYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4506,2122999

Story of AF museum Atlas missile collapse in 1986
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=QfJGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dfMMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1450%2C2393998

Thanks for digging that up.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Herb Schaltegger

As for the transport trailers, I've seen a couple within the past decade.  One was at the Cape.  One was at USSRC and was later reportedly moved to Dayton.

Do you know when it was moved? It was still there the last time I was in Huntsville (summer 2009).

« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 12:57 pm by Herb Schaltegger »
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
Here's a Google Maps picture of a hanger near the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. Right next to the hanger is a large yellow trailer-like object that looks like it could be a missile trailer. A distance measurement shows it to be 70 feet (21m) long.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1100+Spaatz+St,+Wright-Patterson+AFB,+Riverside,+OH+45431/@39.7795718,-84.0954049,95m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8840832fb360e8e5:0x83665be9f601b373?hl=en
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 02:42 pm by Antilope7724 »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Perhaps someone close to ULA could ask if they would like to help save a piece of their space history? Right before every Atlas V launch they always make a speech about the Atlas rocket legacy. Maybe it time to walk the talk... Just sayin'...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Rocket Science

Here's a Google Maps picture of a hanger near the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. Right next to the hanger is a large yellow trailer-like object that looks like it could be a missile trailer. A distance measurement shows it to be 70 feet (21m) long.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1100+Spaatz+St,+Wright-Patterson+AFB,+Riverside,+OH+45431/@39.7795718,-84.0954049,95m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8840832fb360e8e5:0x83665be9f601b373?hl=en
Nice find, that might be the one! :)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
Great, let me know when you guys figure a way to move the thing to Southern California, so I can start work on hosting the missile out in the desert.

8)

I have a crew working on cleaning out a structure today to contain the hardware.

« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 06:26 pm by Danderman »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Perhaps someone close to ULA could ask if they would like to help save a piece of their space history? Right before every Atlas V launch they always make a speech about the Atlas rocket legacy. Maybe it time to walk the talk... Just sayin'...

Could always use the hashtag #AskULA ... They where doing Q&A's with it recently, also @torybruno would most likely get someone's attention.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
A company like ULA might be able to donate to a fund for such a cause, but what is really needed is a museum or similar organization interested in taking on this piece of history.  The U.S. Air Force - and likely the Museum of the U.S. Air Force in particular - seems to be the ultimate decision maker about the fate of this artifact.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 08:43 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
Do you know when it was moved? It was still there the last time I was in Huntsville (summer 2009).
I believe that it was moved around the time of the Saturn V move, so perhaps it was just relocated to provide space for that work.  A search shows images of the Atlas back in place in 2012, if not later, so it seems to still be in Huntsville. 

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 09:30 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Thomas Dorman

• Zab Oklahoma
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 7
About this Atlas rocket has anyone tried to see if maybe the  White Sands Missile Range
 Missile Park may want it since the beginning of the Atlas family testing started there with the MX774 in the late 1940's.
http://www.wsmr-history.org/MissilePark.htm
Also does the Smithsonian Air and Space know that an historic, one of a kind, artifact is about to be lost? Smithsonian as I understand under law is charged with preserving such space history. Also I know of  past examples where artifacts held by the USAF being lost in that the Smithsonian  was never asked if they wished to acquire them. Be a shamed to see such an important artifact of our nation's defense/space history go to a scrape yard with out at least some out cry to it's preservation.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
I am in touch with the Vandenberg AFB Historical Museum about the Atlas. They are interested but money was the very first issue that came up. They are however, interested in it, which is a start. I'm going to visit the director tomorrow to discuss.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 10:43 pm by Helodriver »

Offline Rocket Science

I am in touch with the Vandenberg AFB Historical Museum about the Atlas. They are interested but money was the very first issue that came up. They are however, interested in it, which is a start. I'm going to visit the director tomorrow to discuss.
That's great! Maybe we can get them and ULA talking to each other? ;)
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 10:56 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

I believe that it was moved around the time of the Saturn V move, so perhaps it was just relocated to provide space for that work.  A search shows images of the Atlas back in place in 2012, if not later, so it seems to still be in Huntsville. 

- Ed Kyle

When we were last there in '09, the Saturn V was already in the Davidson Center building, and the Atlas looked pretty great for a >40 year old bird. And as you can see in my photo, the transporter looked like it had had a new coat of nuclear yellow paint recently too. :)

Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Rocket Science

ULA needs something on their lawn either HQ or in Decatur... ;)

Offline Rocket Science

Now this is what a rocket company should look like... ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography