Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-11 : June 3, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 235338 times)

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-11 : June 3, 2017 : DISCUSSION
« Reply #280 on: 06/04/2017 02:31 pm »
The NROL-76 main burn was shorter. Would they not need to maintain a similar amount of final landing burn fuel? You would have to expend that propellant somewhere.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #281 on: 06/04/2017 02:48 pm »
It has remained black according to the landing picture. This is probably the radio reflexive paint Elon tweeted about:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/871228411494014976

I was under the impression that SpaceX used a simpler approach to landing, by just running the GPS LZ-1 coords through the navigation unit. In the case of DPL campaigns, the same happened with the stage AND the barge (barge ordered to keep its station, S1 calculated a 0-0 touchdown on the given coords before launch).

Now they are using active radar?

Nothing changed vs what has been speculated all along. GPS for navigation in general, radar altimeter used for low altitude readings, where its more accurate and lower latency to obtain readings (and it measures altitude to ASDS including waves instead of to sea level + normal ASDS elevation).

Radar for civil navigation is always active. Passive radar is (pretty much) a military only thing when vehicles use enemy's radar emissions to find/target them.

Radar altimeter was already used. Just LZ improvements to make its job more precise.
It wasn't just speculated that SpaceX was using radar. They've been doing it since at least F9Rdev1, I believe.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 1178
« Reply #282 on: 06/04/2017 03:01 pm »
I noticed this:
After its work was done on Saturday, for example, the Falcon 9 second stage apparently splashed down softly in the ocean southwest of Australia, Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX's vice president of build and flight reliability, said during Saturday's press conference.
in this article.

Anyone know if that's true, or rubbish?  I spotted at least one other factual error in the article, so the latter wouldn't surprise me.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #283 on: 06/04/2017 03:04 pm »
I noticed this:
After its work was done on Saturday, for example, the Falcon 9 second stage apparently splashed down softly in the ocean southwest of Australia, Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX's vice president of build and flight reliability, said during Saturday's press conference.
in this article.

Anyone know if that's true, or rubbish?  I spotted at least one other factual error in the article, so the latter wouldn't surprise me.

He said it was deorbited and reentered SW of Australia.  He said nothing about it splashing down softly, which is most likely complete rubbish.  You can find links to the press conference in the CRS-11 threads.

Online toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 1178
« Reply #284 on: 06/04/2017 03:12 pm »
I noticed this:
in this article.

He said it was deorbited and reentered SW of Australia.  He said nothing about it splashing down softly, which is most likely complete rubbish.  You can find links to the press conference in the CRS-11 threads.

Thanks, I sort of figured.  I missed the presser due to hosting an (unrelated) party, but figured NSF crowd would be all over it already if Hans had actually said that.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #285 on: 06/04/2017 03:54 pm »
Anyone catch the unberthing date in July from yesterday launch commentary?  Was it 3 July?

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #286 on: 06/04/2017 04:05 pm »
How close to the ISS will Dragon be tonight at 10pm pst? With Cygnus departing and Dragon arriving tonight's ISS pass might be really special.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #287 on: 06/04/2017 04:11 pm »
I noticed this:
in this article.

Thanks, I sort of figured.  I missed the presser due to hosting an (unrelated) party, but figured NSF crowd would be all over it already if Hans had actually said that.

Yeah, Hans said it "deorbited and landed"... but everyone took that to mean it reentered and broke up, not that it actually landed in one piece.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1053
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #288 on: 06/04/2017 04:45 pm »
The NROL-76 reentry burn was called out as 25 seconds long. This one was significantly shorter. Are they continuing to optimize fuel usage, or is that due to different trajectories?
Quite different trajectory, see altitude plot attached. Generally shorter flight.

« Reply #289 on: 06/04/2017 04:47 pm »
It seems that Ars Technica is reporting that there is a Chinese experiment abroad this Dragon.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/06/saturdays-spacex-launch-carried-a-secret-payload-a-chinese-experiment/

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
« Reply #290 on: 06/04/2017 06:45 pm »
Ok who from NSF was cruising offshore in their yacht during the CRS-11 launch?

"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline georgegassaway

• George's Rockets
  • Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #291 on: 06/04/2017 06:46 pm »
This image from SpaceX's Flickr account, Landing Burn,  that LOOKS like it was moments after the re-ignition process began. The darker streak of smoke trail above the vehicle was a clue (a brief puff, probably the RP-1 ignition). Then I realized the greenish flame underneath which is the color of the TEA and TEB hypergolics that are used for ignition.   

Edit correction: Pyrophoric (not hypergolic) when TEA & TEB contact Oxygen, Magnus Rydningen and Bill Carlton pointed that out.

« Last Edit: 06/04/2017 08:55 pm by georgegassaway »
Info on my flying Lunar Module Quadcopter: https://tinyurl.com/LunarModuleQuadcopter

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #292 on: 06/04/2017 06:50 pm »
How close to the ISS will Dragon be tonight at 10pm pst? With Cygnus departing and Dragon arriving tonight's ISS pass might be really special.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what I was wondering :)  (and you mean PDT, PT or Pacific, not PST)

On Sunday night, with Cygnus moving away from ISS and Dragon moving towards it, we will have the rare opportunity to spot three objects in the sky, chasing each other.

I expect that Dragon will be approaching from behind, and by Sunday night (US ET) should be very close.  Does anyone know which direction Cygnus will be departing in, and how fast the SS John Glenn will move away from ISS?

If there another NSF thread where this is being discussed, please point me to it :)

I just did a big Facebook post on this for my friends, and I just want to be sure that Cygnus isn't departing on some super duper fast trajectory that will take it 180 degrees out of phase by tonight ...

Sent from a web browser using all ten of my fingers.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2017 07:15 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline mainmind

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #293 on: 06/04/2017 06:51 pm »
Anyone catch the unberthing date in July from yesterday launch commentary?  Was it 3 July?

2 July unberth, entry could be 3 July depending on time of day when released.

Offline vicarofdidley

« Reply #294 on: 06/04/2017 09:45 pm »
You summoned a video! Dragon passing over UK - and the second stage & solar panel covers photobombing along the way. Not my video, but best one I've seen.

Dragon Resupply Mission (CRS-11) passing over Oxfordshire 22 minutes after launch from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center Florida. The two light in the middle are the Dragon capsule and the second stage, the two lights on either side are the discarded protective fairings tumbling away from the craft. Look for a thruster correction burst at 1min 12sec.

Yup that's what i saw last night but thought it was a low flying plane due to the speed of the pass!  Just seen tonight's pass with an amazing demo of orbital mechanics- Dragon a few minutes ahead of ISS but moving much more rapidly in its lower orbit. 

Offline Danny452

• London, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 638
« Reply #295 on: 06/04/2017 10:05 pm »
You summoned a video! Dragon passing over UK - and the second stage & solar panel covers photobombing along the way. Not my video, but best one I've seen.

Dragon Resupply Mission (CRS-11) passing over Oxfordshire 22 minutes after launch from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center Florida. The two light in the middle are the Dragon capsule and the second stage, the two lights on either side are the discarded protective fairings tumbling away from the craft. Look for a thruster correction burst at 1min 12sec.

Yup that's what i saw last night but thought it was a low flying plane due to the speed of the pass!  Just seen tonight's pass with an amazing demo of orbital mechanics- Dragon a few minutes ahead of ISS but moving much more rapidly in its lower orbit. 

ISS was visible over London from 10:34pm to 10:40pm BST tonight.  I saw what I thought was Dragon trailing it by about half a minute (couldn't see the second hand on my watch.)  Should Dragon be in front of the ISS or behind it?  What did vicarofdidley see and what did I see?

Offline georgegassaway

• George's Rockets
  • Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #296 on: 06/04/2017 10:25 pm »
I mentioned this before about having seen ice float off of a second stage. Which is why I’m so sure it was ice coming off the tail of the booster during the start of re-entry.

So I found it.  Here’s Echostar 23’s second stage, before it begins its second burn. Big jagged wide chunk of ice visible near the center.

Moments later, the engine restarts, the ice breaks away and right then the view changes to the other camera. But some small pieces fell into a niche outside of the engine,  the acceleration loads hold them there (seen once they go back to the original camera angle). In the video you can see them moving around a bit.

Then at shutdown they float away, one of the larger pieces seen drifting past the nozzle.

In the video, start at to 38:15 on Youtube, or T plus 26 minutes.

« Last Edit: 06/04/2017 10:28 pm by georgegassaway »
Info on my flying Lunar Module Quadcopter: https://tinyurl.com/LunarModuleQuadcopter

Offline vicarofdidley

« Reply #297 on: 06/04/2017 10:30 pm »
Could it have been Cygnus?

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #298 on: 06/04/2017 11:08 pm »
Wow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BU5JNxkg6rS/?taken-by=zacharygrannan

WOW indeed! - I hope I will one day get to hear that sonic boom live. The sound of science that rocks!

Congrats SpaceX. Loved the t-shirt on display at Hawthorne: "0 prayers given". Great.

Already posted my strongly-felt congrats in the Update topic.

Not sure why "0 prayers given" on a t-shirt is a thing to love.
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline skybum

• London, UK
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #299 on: 06/04/2017 11:14 pm »
Beautiful video of the UK overflight -- that's what I saw from here in south-central London, peeking between the clouds. Also thought it was a plane at first -- didn't expect the solar panel covers to be so far away from the Dragon and 2nd stage; it almost made them look like wingtip lights. And it was so much brighter than I'd expected! Really lovely to see.

About 10 minutes later the shit hit the fan: I live a short walk from London Bridge, so the gunfire was audible. Kept up all night by police helicopters and controlled explosions of suspicious packages. So: the best and the worst of humanity, in a very short space of time! Thanks to everyone at SpaceX for providing the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography