Author Topic: The CRS-7 Don't be Mean, IDA will put a ring on it - Party Thread  (Read 139875 times)

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
One thing that has been missed for a successful Falcon 9 landing. They need to install a tank of SuperGlue and extrude that onto the landing pads just before contact with the ASDS. That's how you stick a landing.  ;D

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
One thing that has been missed for a successful Falcon 9 landing. They need to install a tank of SuperGlue and extrude that onto the landing pads just before contact with the ASDS. That's how you stick a landing.  ;D

nah, the glue would interact badly with the Velcro in use  ;D
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967

Forget SuperGlue, they need to cover ASDS with this stuff

Anyone who's ever stepped on one by accident knows how good they stick.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540

Forget SuperGlue, they need to cover ASDS with this stuff

Anyone who's ever stepped on one by accident knows how good they stick.

Am I the only one who's relieved to see that the market for elephant-trapping glue traps is no longer woefully under-served?

As for the issue of getting the F9 to adhere to the ASDS deck, there's a better way. We already know that the Marmac hull is submersible, so once the ASDS is on station, submerge it by about 100 feet. The parts of the F9 should settle on the deck just fine that way, with no fire problem. This would have the added benefit of preventing the paint from getting scorched.

« Last Edit: 06/14/2015 01:46 am by CJ »

Offline ey

• Northern California
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 153
As for the issue of getting the F9 to adhere to the ASDS deck, there's a better way. We already know that the Marmac hull is submersible, so once the ASDS is on station, submerge it by about 100 feet. The parts of the F9 should settle on the deck just fine that way, with no fire problem. This would have the added benefit of preventing the paint from getting scorched.

It'd get a rough salt water bath, and the waves wouldn't help either. Maybe if you could land it in a cruise ship pool.

Offline CJ

It'd get a rough salt water bath, and the waves wouldn't help either. Maybe if you could land it in a cruise ship pool.

Past water landings show that the F9 submerges right after toppling and shattering, so the salt water wouldn't be a problem (easy to wash off the disassembled parts). 

Many cruise ships have upper decks large enough to land an F9 on, and that this would make for an ideal synergy; SpaceX would have a place to land the F9, while the cruise line would have an interesting cruise event (A barbecue on the top deck). Carnival fascination would be ideal; it goes to Jacksonville regularly.

I suggested using a cruise ship as a landing platform long before we'd ever heard of the ASDS ships, but for reasons I cannot fathom, the response in that thread was less than 100% enthusiastic support for the concept. Perhaps it was just an idea slightly ahead of its time. 

I also suggested, more recently, that the terminal landing phase issues could be largely mitigated by having the ASDS meet the F9 much earlier in the F9's flight profile, such as at the entry interface. This would save the F9 a considerable amount of fuel. Shortly after that, we had confirmation that this might be in the works via Elon's tweet about putting a Merlin on the ASDS, but for some reason, even with that, there was little acceptance of this idea. 

Actually, why not combine the two? After the ASDS catches the F9 at the entry interface, have the ASDS, with the F9 aboard, land on a cruise ship. Think of the photo opportunities!

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
"As God is my witness -- I thought barges could fly."
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline CJ

Well, we all know that barges can't fly, but we're not talking barges here, we're talking ASDS! And, what does an ASDS have? Wings! So, given sufficient thrust, they'll fly just fine.

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 951

That might explain the new umbrella...

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
My SWAG as to the first land landing; Jason 3 from Vandy in August, *IF* CRX-7 successfully lands on the ASDS.

Remember that Marmac 300 is headed West and due there in 3-4 weeks. My dollar bet is that they'll try to land Jason 3 on it, even if CRS-7 barge landing is successful.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2015 02:16 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
Best of luck, SpX CRS-7!
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline CJ

My SWAG as to the first land landing; Jason 3 from Vandy in August, *IF* CRX-7 successfully lands on the ASDS.

Remember that Marmac 300 is headed West and due there in 3-4 weeks. My dollar bet is that they'll try to land Jason 3 on it, even if CRS-7 barge landing is successful.

Ahhem! That's not Marmac 300! What's in the Panama Canal at this very moment, heading southEAST from the Atlantic to the Pacific, is a very special ship, ASDS Of Course I Still Love You, which has as one of its components the former Marmac deck cargo vessel Marmac 303 (which used to be a barge... whereas, as we all know, an ASDS is a ship, not a barge!)

Marmac 300 was part of ASDS Just Read the Instructions. We don't yet know, for sure, whether the ASDS in JAX is JRTI with a new hull component (MArmac 304), or a new ASDS entirely (which has yet to disclose its name). My guess is its ASDS JRtI (I think the odds favor this), but we simply don't know... yet. (Well, I don't, anyway).   

As for the landing Jason 3 on ASDS OCISLY... I think you might be right. There's not much else on the SpaceX schedule from Vandy this year, so why send OCISLY there now unless for Jason 3?       

That might explain the new umbrella...

One of the developing big mysteries is that the panama canal transit pics do not appear to show an umbrella on OCISLY. Will it be installed after arrival in SoCal? And is it leased, or owned? (SpaceX seems to prefer leasing things). And, most importantly, will the umbrella on OCISLY have the exact same color scheme as the one on the probably-JRtI ASDS is JAX? 

PErhaps you're right.... the umbrella is something to do with ASDS flight capabilities... after all, we don't know, exactly, what sort of umbrella it is.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

Well, we all know that barges can't fly, but we're not talking barges here, we're talking ASDS! And, what does an ASDS have? Wings! So, given sufficient thrust, they'll fly just fine.

I'm sure they'll make a Valiant effort ...

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Valiant_(aircraft_carrier)

;)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Ahhem! That's not Marmac 300! What's in the Panama Canal at this very moment, heading southEAST from the Atlantic to the Pacific, is a very special ship, ASDS Of Course I Still Love You...

Sorry, yes, and it was I who first reported M303 was headed West through Panama. Unfortunately my brain doesn't always connect with my typing finger.  ;)

We don't yet know, for sure, whether the ASDS in JAX is JRTI with a new hull component (MArmac 304), or a new ASDS entirely (which has yet to disclose its name). My guess is its ASDS JRtI (I think the odds favor this), but we simply don't know... yet. (Well, I don't, anyway).   

Just so we're not confusing people, the hull in JAX is definitely Marmac 304, whatever they decide to name it (JRTI, etc.)
« Last Edit: 06/15/2015 01:18 am by Kabloona »

Offline CJ

Ahhem! That's not Marmac 300! What's in the Panama Canal at this very moment, heading southEAST from the Atlantic to the Pacific, is a very special ship, ASDS Of Course I Still Love You...

Sorry, yes, and 'twas I who first reported M303 was headed West through Panama. Unfortunately my brain doesn't always connect with my typing finger.  ;)

That's what I figured. :)

We don't yet know, for sure, whether the ASDS in JAX is JRTI with a new hull component (MArmac 304), or a new ASDS entirely (which has yet to disclose its name). My guess is its ASDS JRtI (I think the odds favor this), but we simply don't know... yet. (Well, I don't, anyway).   

Just so we're not confusing people, the hull in JAX is definitely Marmac 304, whatever they decide to name it (JRTI, etc.)
[/quote]

Absolutely the hull in JAX is Marmac 304. And, as for the name, the name, per the culture series books, goes with the brain (the CPU) not a hull part. And, I must point out, the ships name themselves. :P

However, let's not forget, that hull is a mere component of the ASDS. If they put in, say, a new light bulb in the port nav light, that doesn't make it not the same ASDS. We may well have to make the same assumption for the main hull...

Now, the critical question is, did they transfer the main CPU from the pre-overhaul JRtI to this one? It's probably on one of those containers (along with the comms system, so maybe the one with the sat antenna dome atop it), so I'm betting they did.

But if the JAX ASDS isn't JRtI, then where is JRtI? Did it resign? Did SpaceX not agree to its demands for both overtime and hazard pay? Is it going to go around incognito disguised as MArmac 300?

Just to ensure that any confusions are dispelled by greater ones,  I'll mention that JRtI posts on twitter.
https://twitter.com/thedroneship
HOWEVER, last tweet on June 1st.  Very worrisome.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
However, let's not forget, that hull is a mere component of the ASDS. If they put in, say, a new light bulb in the port nav light, that doesn't make it not the same ASDS. We may well have to make the same assumption for the main hull...

But if the JAX ASDS isn't JRtI, then where is JRtI? Did it resign? Did SpaceX not agree to its demands for both overtime and hazard pay? Is it going to go around incognito disguised as MArmac 300?

Umm...this is the party room. Philosophy 101 is down the hall... ;)

Offline CJ

Umm...this is the party room. Philosophy 101 is down the hall... ;)

And here I was about to go into high dudgeon mode and launch into a lengthy diatribe on how many angels can dance on the head of an ASDS rivet pin.  :o

Instead, seeing as this is a party thread, how about we do something more fun, like math! Thanks to CameronD's post in the ASDS thread, we now know how much the Marmac 304 part of the hull weighs; 4262 tons.

We don't know the mass of the wings and other gear, but we can deduce it! The 304 hull is the only part, save for the thrusters, that's in the water, so displacement should help us get a ballpark mass for the ASDS. However, we're neglecting the LOX and RP1 the Merlins will need, so we can pretty much assume that a fully fueled ASDS will be close to max capacity (empty weight plus cargo) for the Marmac 304, which is 10168 tonnes.

Now, at last we can finally figure out how many Merlins the ASDS needs. Each Merlin puts out about 150,000 pounds of thrust (okay, foot pounds, but I'm lazy) at sea level, so 68 tonnes. That means 150 Merlins to match the mass, but we need more to create decent vertical acceleration, so about 200. Hrmmm, that's a lot of Merlins. Perhaps they'll wait unt5il the million-pound version of Raptor is available? The ASDS would only need about 25 of those.

Hrmmm... I wonder of the BFR will be able to launch a whole ASDS? I hope so, because otherwise it'd be a lot of work to disassemble one to get it to Mars.

8)

Offline eric_astro

• USA
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 134
Without Dragon, there wouldn't be much partying on the ISS, what with two recent resupply failures. ;)

Offline CJ

Without Dragon, there wouldn't be much partying on the ISS, what with two recent resupply failures. ;)

Failures? That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Wouldn't "Successful flights to surprise destinations" sound better?

:P

Seriously though, two supply runs not arriving must be putting some crimps in the ISS inventory.
« Last Edit: 06/15/2015 03:06 am by CJ »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
While I really hope this is the launch that SpaceX will recover a first stage intact, what I'm really looking forward to is seeing what they do with it afterwards. Museum piece? Dissection? Refly?
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography