Author Topic: Long March-11 first launch - Jiuquan - September 25, 2015 (01:41 UTC)  (Read 48469 times)

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172

This prediction has been confirmed by one Weibo account (whose owner has provided good info on the final ramp up of LM-6's first flight last week), though he said there will be 4, not 3 satellites on board.  ;)

The fourth payload is not really unexpected, as the rocket reportedly has a performance of ~1000 kg to LEO and the three cubesats would use only a tiny fraction of this. So at least a larger dummy payload should be on board.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1154

This prediction has been confirmed by one Weibo account (whose owner has provided good info on the final ramp up of LM-6's first flight last week), though he said there will be 4, not 3 satellites on board.  ;)

The fourth payload is not really unexpected, as the rocket reportedly has a performance of ~1000 kg to LEO and the three cubesats would use only a tiny fraction of this. So at least a larger dummy payload should be on board.

The TW-1 was originally schedule as a secondary payload for a YG mission at the end of 2014.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
So, it is the launch pad where the second (third?) KZ-1 was launched from in November 2014.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Looks like some reporter tweeted on Weibo that it has successfully launched......before it could have happened! That tweet has now disappeared into deep space so yes, it's a false alarm.  :-X

The real launch should come in about 30 minutes.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Should have launched by now, but trying to confirm this on Chinese social media is difficult with all the previous "false alarm" tweets still floating around.  :P
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Should have launched by now, but trying to confirm this on Chinese social media is difficult with all the previous "false alarm" tweets still floating around.  :P
hopehully we can get abuilding number again as then we could find out the number of the LC

OK from tweets from apparently "insiders" it seems that this launch is a success after all. Will report when the "real" official news come out.  ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

Really could use launch photos otherwise Rui's article will be text only, and that's no good.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Here's the confirmation from Xinhua: http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2015-09/25/c_1116676523.htm

3 satellites from the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites (the TW 1A/B/C previously mentioned) and a fourth from SAST themselves named Pujian-1.

Really could use launch photos otherwise Rui's article will be text only, and that's no good.

Still looking but haven't seen one yet.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 02:31 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

This photo is probably not the one everyone is looking for....but it's from the "insider" that I mentioned earlier.  ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

So we have one crappy photo of this rocket and that's it. I hope Chinese people are more annoyed by that! ;D

Rui's article!
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/china-debuts-long-march-11-lofting-tianwang-1-trio/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Here's the confirmation from Xinhua: http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2015-09/25/c_1116676523.htm

3 satellites from the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites (the TW 1A/B/C previously mentioned) and a fourth from SAST themselves named Pujian-1.

My attempt at understanding this article, mostly via google translate, suggests 6 satellites:

浦江一号卫星   Pujian 1, from SAST
上科大二号卫星  Shangkeda 2  from Shanghai Chinese Academy of Engineering (??)
"and four other small satellites"   (TW-1ABC plus one other I imagine?)

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

My attempt at understanding this article, mostly via google translate, suggests 6 satellites:

Nah, it's "4 satellites including PJ-1 and SKD-2". I think SKD-2 = NJUST-2 = TW-1B, but I need more confirmation of that.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1154
CZ-11: length - 20.8 m; diameter 2.0 m; launch mass: 58 t; liftoff thrust: 120 t; 350 kg to 700 km SSO; 700 kg to LEO (?)

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775

Nah, it's "4 satellites including PJ-1 and SKD-2". I think SKD-2 = NJUST-2 = TW-1B, but I need more confirmation of that.

OK, keep us posted! I wonder if SKD-2 is TW-1A since we think that's Shanghai, vs NJUST-2 and NJFA-1 which are Nanjing?
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 04:58 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

About Pujiang-1:

- Small satellite to test various miniaturized satellite components (heat transfer pumps, microprocessors etc.)
- Utilizes standardized "plug-n-play" payload interfaces to able to carry wide range of instruments on board
- Have temperature sensors on board that uses WiFi to transmit data within the satellite
- Titanium antenna structure on the satellite was 3D-printed
- Was once planned to launch on the first LM-6 and the satellite even participated in the LM-6 GTV tests in November 2013 (before the 20 satellites mission ended up as its first flight). Later participated in the LM-11 GTV tests in July 2014.

Source
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 05:31 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
Here are some screen captures from

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10601/0ce9d9c6698140eca259f761d50843c1

Looks like its carrying a big dummy payload, with the cubesats on top of the final stage around the payload adaptor.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 06:17 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Here are some screen captures from

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10601/0ce9d9c6698140eca259f761d50843c1

Looks like its carrying a big dummy payload, with the cubesats on top of the final stage around the payload adaptor.

I think that's actually Pujiang-1.  ;)

Alas, it doesn't look like we will get any launch photos at all...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography