Author Topic: EM-1/Artemis 1 Orion Service Module updates  (Read 173528 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Orion Service Module
« Reply #20 on: 09/16/2015 01:16 pm »
Good notes above! There's a teleconference today so I wonder if it's to mention that and then throw #JourneyToMars hashtags at us to try and dull the pain. ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18181
  • Likes Given: 12139
« Reply #21 on: 09/16/2015 03:35 pm »
2016 will be VERY interesting from an ESM point-of-view. It quite literally is the year it all comes together: going from STA to fully equipped EM-1 flight article (assuming the schedule doesn't keep slipping to the right).

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #22 on: 09/24/2015 12:50 pm »
« Last Edit: 09/24/2015 02:26 pm by woods170 »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #23 on: 09/24/2015 12:56 pm »
Summary description of the ESA from last year, mostly based on source material from ESA and the ESM main contractor (Airbus Defense and Space):

http://abhisheksinha13.tumblr.com/post/104327709567/esm-european-service-module-the-esa-service

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #24 on: 11/13/2015 09:24 pm »
It seems this thread was eclipsed by the UK Steps Up thread, which now has the majority of ESM info.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #25 on: 11/18/2015 10:25 am »
Aviation Week & Space Technology reports this in their recent issue:

NASA-Furnished Propulsion Slows Orion ESM Work At Airbus

Amy Svitak Frank Morring, Jr.

Wed, 2015-11-18 04:00

Work on a European service module (ESM) that will fly on NASA’s Orion crew capsule has slowed, due in part to the integration of a NASA-furnished propulsion system that flew on the space shuttle. The ESM development, underway at Airbus Defense and Space in Bremen, Germany, is facing challenges on several fronts: Finding background documentation at NASA necessary to qualify the customer-supplied propulsion systems, which date to the shuttle era; sharing the documentation with Airbus ...

http://aviationweek.com/space/nasa-furnished-propulsion-slows-orion-esm-work-airbus-0

(Not sure if I can post the complete article, if mods will ok, I will post it)
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #26 on: 11/24/2015 05:38 pm »
November 24, 2015
MEDIA ADVISORY M15-165

NASA TV to Air Event Marking Arrival of Test Orion Powerhouse

NASA Television will broadcast an event marking the arrival of a full-size test version of the service module provided by the European Space Agency (ESA) for NASA’s Orion spacecraft at 12:30 p.m. EST on Monday, Nov. 30 at the agency’s Plum Brook Station in Sandusky, Ohio.

Event participants will be:
•Jim Free, director of NASA’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland
•Greg Williams, deputy associate administrator for Human Exploration and Operations at NASA Headquarters in Washington
•Mark Kirasich, manager for the Orion Program at the agency’s Johnson Space Center in Houston
•Mike Hawes, program manager for Orion at Lockheed Martin
•Nico Dettmann, development department head at ESA
•Oliver Juckenhoefel, vice president and head of the European Service Module program at Airbus Defence and Space

A brief question-and-answer session will take place during the event with media on site and by phone. Media that wish to ask questions on the phone must email their name, media affiliation and phone number to Jan Wittry at [email protected] by noon EST on Fri., Nov. 27. The public also can ask questions during the briefing on social media using #AskNASA.

The Orion spacecraft is being developed to help send astronauts to deep space destinations, such as an asteroid placed in lunar orbit and Mars. It will launch on the agency’s Space Launch System rocket. ESA, along with its contractor Airbus Defence and Space, is providing the service module for Orion’s next mission, a partnership that will bring international cooperation to the journey to Mars. The service module will supply power and propulsion to the Orion spacecraft for Exploration Mission-1.

ESA and Airbus also provided the structural representation of the service module so that NASA may conduct rigorous tests to ensure the module can withstand the trip to space. The multi-month test campaign will take place at Plum Brook’s Space Power Facility. Plum Brook is home to some of the largest testing structures in the world, including one of the world’s largest vacuum chamber, the world's most powerful spacecraft acoustic test chamber, and the world's highest capacity and most powerful spacecraft vibration table.

For NASA TV downlink information and schedules, and to view the news briefing, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv
Jacques :-)

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2011
« Reply #27 on: 11/24/2015 08:14 pm »
Here's a zinger:

Since the OSM is designed for deep-space missions, what is its expected consumables base? I would suspect it would be designed to be dormant for months on end, but isn't that an ageing challenge when months turn to years? Would its consumables be refuelable? Would the SM have repair options? There's only so much talk to fix something while in deep space well away from home.

I might be asking questions with no answer since Orion's missions aren't lined up, nor are the official specs defined yet, if I read correctly up-thread. There's also the matter of crew habitation and fuels from there.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Codemaster

« Reply #28 on: 11/30/2015 01:23 pm »
I know this is short notice, but I will be attending the event today and if anyone has any questions for me to ask, let me know.

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #29 on: 11/30/2015 01:35 pm »
I know this is short notice, but I will be attending the event today and if anyone has any questions for me to ask, let me know.

Excellent.  Okay, here's two questions to request offhand:

1) Does ESA have a specific date when the service module for the Orion of EM-1 shall be built and ready?
2) Is the delta-v budget capability for Orion's service module still roughly 1.4 km/s or has that changed?
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 11/30/2015 01:54 pm »
Q) Do ESA believe SM involvement with Orion places them in a good barter position for an ESA astronaut to ride on a future Orion mission?

Per:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/01/orions-atv-deal-esa-astro-em-2-mission/
« Last Edit: 11/30/2015 01:59 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #31 on: 11/30/2015 04:31 pm »
Starting....pretty much all the guests are political.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 11/30/2015 04:32 pm »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #33 on: 11/30/2015 04:37 pm »
Doesn't appear to be reading from a script. Very good speech by the lawmaker. Clearly a Plum Brook fan.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 11/30/2015 04:42 pm »
Shiny video. Not as good as Nathan's work ;D

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #35 on: 11/30/2015 04:46 pm »
They will be simulating sep and solar array deploy at the facility.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #36 on: 11/30/2015 04:51 pm »
NASA HQ guy getting very excited about things. Audience less so.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 11/30/2015 04:56 pm »
EM-1 CM will be complete by January at MAF.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #38 on: 11/30/2015 05:05 pm »
ESA guy notes it's the first time ESA is working on a mission (human) that goes beyond LEO.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 11/30/2015 05:08 pm »
Airbus guy is well off script. Basically saying "you need us as much as we need you". Tries to joke about the cost of the phone bill over meetings between the partners.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2015 05:09 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography