Author Topic: ISS RS: Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module-Upgrade (MLM-U) General Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 802850 times)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
http://www.khrunichev.ru/main.php?id=1&nid=2599

Installation of fairing on MLM module was performed on September 21st. Next tasks are a weighing process and pressure tests.

To elaborate: this was a fit-check to check mechanical and electrical connections. It will be quite a few months before we see this fairing being attached for "the real thing" (meaning: launch)

Yeah, I was starting to think along those lines until I saw the massive exposed bolt heads on the PLF and realize it was just for use on the ground.
« Last Edit: 09/24/2012 03:17 pm by robertross »

Offline dbooker

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
http://www.khrunichev.ru/main.php?id=1&nid=2599

Installation of fairing on MLM module was performed on September 21st. Next tasks are a weighing process and pressure tests.

Interesting.  Anyone else note that the docking port that is facing the ceiling looks like it is a LIDS and not a standard drogue and probe port.

Offline Dappa

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 76
Interesting.  Anyone else note that the docking port that is facing the ceiling looks like it is a LIDS and not a standard drogue and probe port.
That's the port for the equipment airlock, that's currently stowed on MRM-1.
« Last Edit: 09/24/2012 05:10 pm by Dappa »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
That's the port for the equipment airlock, that's currently stowed on MRM-1.

The exact nature of the interface with the airlock is a bit of a mystery.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
The FGB panels were required to be relatively short, so that when folded, they would not impinge on the radiators. On the other hand, the MLM panels are required to be very long, as they are located "under" most of ISS, and in some attitudes, would be blocked by the Russian segment.
I count the same number of sections in the solar panel of the FGB and those of MLM. I'm not sure those sections have the same size but it look so. In the pictures of the MLM posted by Dappa, they look longer because the solar panel are fully deploy in lenght but not in width. In the last two pictures you can see that except for the first section, the other are still folded in width. I'm not an expert, but It look to me that the MLM's solar panels are similar to those of the FGB.

You are correct. I have gone back to examine the engineering drawings of the MLM panels, and they are identical to FGB. In other words, Khrunichev threw out the requirements and went with using the backup flight hardware from FGB, which is now going on 15 years old.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
The FGB panels were required to be relatively short, so that when folded, they would not impinge on the radiators. On the other hand, the MLM panels are required to be very long, as they are located "under" most of ISS, and in some attitudes, would be blocked by the Russian segment.
I count the same number of sections in the solar panel of the FGB and those of MLM. I'm not sure those sections have the same size but it look so. In the pictures of the MLM posted by Dappa, they look longer because the solar panel are fully deploy in lenght but not in width. In the last two pictures you can see that except for the first section, the other are still folded in width. I'm not an expert, but It look to me that the MLM's solar panels are similar to those of the FGB.

You are correct. I have gone back to examine the engineering drawings of the MLM panels, and they are identical to FGB. In other words, Khrunichev threw out the requirements and went with using the backup flight hardware from FGB, which is now going on 15 years old.

They're using photovoltaic cells manufactured fifteen years ago?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162

No, according to my ESA source the solar arrays are new re-builds.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth

No, according to my ESA source the solar arrays are new re-builds.
Awesome. :) Thanks for the info.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Anik posted these on the NK forum, so here they are, some nice graphics of the ERA moving things around.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
Anik posted these on the NK forum, so here they are, some nice graphics of the ERA moving things around.

Those are old and identical to images in a presentation provided by Chris on L2. See this thread

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Here is an excellent presentation by RSC Energia about the future of the Russian segment, including overviews of MRM-1.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
Any standard probe and cone docking system can be converted from male to female or vice versa simply by switching out the specific male/female docking hardware. Same with the hybrid system...

Also, an APAS-89 or later can be converted to hybrid by switching out the docking petals for a probe or cone.
Do you have a source for this?

And do we know if Hybrid can be converted to IDSS?
« Last Edit: 10/09/2012 10:20 pm by manboy »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Any standard probe and cone docking system can be converted from male to female or vice versa simply by switching out the specific male/female docking hardware. Same with the hybrid system...

Also, an APAS-89 or later can be converted to hybrid by switching out the docking petals for a probe or cone.

Back in the days before the Zvezda module was launched, NASA began development of the ICM, just in case Zvezda was never finished. ICM would link to FGB via APAS, but FGB was launched with a hybrid male adapter to dock with Zvezda. Therefore, Energia developed a "pressure dome" that would cover the aft docking port, and allow the crew inside the FGB to convert the aft hybrid docking adapter into APAS-89.

I would assume that this conversion is also possible for IDSS, or for current Chinese systems to convert to IDSS.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
Roscosmos published the call for a proposition for NEM-1 module.

22.10.2012 / 11:56   Роскосмос выделит 15 млрд руб на научно-энергетический модуль для МКС

Роскосмос объявил конкурс на создание научно-энергетического модуля (НЭМ-1) для российского сегмента Международной космической станции, максимальная сумма контракта - 15,15 миллиарда рублей, работы должны быть закончены до конца ноября 2015 года, говорится в материалах тендера, размещенных на сайте госзакупок.
      Ранее сообщалось, что российская сторона планирует создать для МКС два модуля НЭМ-1 и НЭМ-2, их запуски планировались на 2014 и 2015 годы соответственно.
      Согласно техническому заданию, опубликованному на сайте госзакупок, срок службы модуля должен составлять не менее 17 лет, из которых два года - срок хранения и подготовки к запуску, а 15 лет - срок работы в составе российского сегмента МКС.
      Внутри модуля НЭМ-1 должно быть 30 кубометров свободного пространства, которые может использовать экипаж. В модуле будут размещаться универсальные стойки медицинского оборудования, тренажеры и средства профилактики неблагоприятных факторов космического полета, а также другие приборы и агрегаты.
      Солнечные батареи модуля должны генерировать электроэнергию среднегодовой мощностью не менее 18 киловатт в начале эксплуатации.
      Заявки на конкурс должны быть представлены до 20 ноября, победители тендера будут объявлены после 29 ноября. Размер обеспечения исполнения контракта - 12,12 миллиарда рублей, передает РИА Новости.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline DmitryP

• Liked: 1

Key points in English:

Estimated contract size - 15.15 bln. rubles (aproximately 483 mln. USD at current exchange rate)
Contract completion - end of November, 2015 (earlier plans called for NEM-1 launch in 2014).
Esimated life time for the module - 17 years, including 2 years of storage and launch preparation and 15 years at ISS
At least 30 cubic meters of usable space
Possibility to install racks for medical experiments, exercise equipment and other equipment.
Sollar arrays to generate at least 18 kWt of powet (initially).   

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands

22.10.2012 / 11:56   Роскосмос выделит 15 млрд руб на научно-энергетический модуль для МКС

Роскосмос объявил конкурс на создание научно-энергетического модуля (НЭМ-1) для российского сегмента Международной космической станции, максимальная сумма контракта - 15,15 миллиарда рублей, работы должны быть закончены до конца ноября 2015 года, говорится в материалах тендера, размещенных на сайте госзакупок.
      Ранее сообщалось, что российская сторона планирует создать для МКС два модуля НЭМ-1 и НЭМ-2, их запуски планировались на 2014 и 2015 годы соответственно.
      Согласно техническому заданию, опубликованному на сайте госзакупок, срок службы модуля должен составлять не менее 17 лет, из которых два года - срок хранения и подготовки к запуску, а 15 лет - срок работы в составе российского сегмента МКС.
      Внутри модуля НЭМ-1 должно быть 30 кубометров свободного пространства, которые может использовать экипаж. В модуле будут размещаться универсальные стойки медицинского оборудования, тренажеры и средства профилактики неблагоприятных факторов космического полета, а также другие приборы и агрегаты.
      Солнечные батареи модуля должны генерировать электроэнергию среднегодовой мощностью не менее 18 киловатт в начале эксплуатации.
      Заявки на конкурс должны быть представлены до 20 ноября, победители тендера будут объявлены после 29 ноября. Размер обеспечения исполнения контракта - 12,12 миллиарда рублей, передает РИА Новости.
That is Science Power Module - 1 right?

Offline aquarius

• Liked: 0

That's right.

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40

That's right.

Is this for engineering or construction, or both? If for construction, did we miss the contract for engineering? If so, when was the engineering contract let?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

Back in the days before the Zvezda module was launched, NASA began development of the ICM, just in case Zvezda was never finished. ICM would link to FGB via APAS, but FGB was launched with a hybrid male adapter to dock with Zvezda. Therefore, Energia developed a "pressure dome" that would cover the aft docking port, and allow the crew inside the FGB to convert the aft hybrid docking adapter into APAS-89.

I would assume that this conversion is also possible for IDSS, or for current Chinese systems to convert to IDSS.

nyet to any Chinese system on the ISS.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
http://www.khrunichev.ru/main.php?id=55 was recently updated. Transfer of MLM to RSC Energia appears to have been deferred to Early 2013. MLM transfer was originally expected around December 2012.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography