Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1  (Read 789308 times)

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3899
  • Likes Given: 5264
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #320 on: 12/15/2017 07:48 pm »
Given this is the non-payload discussion thread, unless anyone thinks it's a part of the rocket (seems like the general consensus is "no"), this is off-topic and should be discussed elsewhere, no?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #321 on: 12/15/2017 08:13 pm »
We don't actually know that the thing in the picture has anything to do with SpaceX.
Like that's gonna stop us.
Back in the early days at the Cape people would stare at the lighthouse from far away thinking it was a rocket sitting on the pad... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2238
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #322 on: 12/15/2017 08:21 pm »
Heavy breathing!

HAWTHORNE, Calif. – Dec. 14, 2017. Media accreditation is now open for Falcon Heavy’s Demonstration Mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The launch is targeted for January 2018.

Come for a visit and cover it here!  Well put you up for a few days Chris!
The launch I want to be at with Accreditation is the FH/Dragon with lunar tourists - if and when they do it (2018-2020)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2238
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #323 on: 12/15/2017 08:30 pm »
We don't actually know that the thing in the picture has anything to do with SpaceX.
Like that's gonna stop us.
Back in the early days at the Cape people would stare at the lighthouse from far away thinking it was a rocket sitting on the pad... ;D
When I was a kid here in Auckland; directly though my kitchen window at night I could see the One Tree Hill monument lit up in the distance. I used to think that it looked like a rocket on the pad:

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/a4/da/f1/a4daf10310d7d5e813560367febd9f41--one-tree-hill-auckland.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c6/8f/c9/c68fc945780b80b814513ea210214599--one-tree-hill-auckland-new-zealand.jpg
« Last Edit: 12/15/2017 09:04 pm by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #324 on: 12/16/2017 01:46 am »
I measured the distance between the two landing zones using the new Planet Labs measuring tool. They are only ~300 meters apart from center to center. The landing is going to be even more epic than I thought! I knew they would be close, but less than 1/5 of a mile close?  8)
« Last Edit: 12/16/2017 01:47 am by Michael Baylor »

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #325 on: 12/16/2017 01:51 pm »
I measured the distance between the two landing zones using the new Planet Labs measuring tool. They are only ~300 meters apart from center to center. The landing is going to be even more epic than I thought! I knew they would be close, but less than 1/5 of a mile close?  8)

I'm kind of curious about why one pad it black and the other white. If the black paint is radar reflective to make landings more precise, did they find radar reflective white paint, or integrate equivalent or better reflectivity in the concrete?

Or just to make it look cool.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14030
  • Likes Given: 1391
« Reply #326 on: 12/16/2017 02:26 pm »
I'm guessing the radar reflective paint is an underneath, and what were seeing is just a weather and heat resistant overcoat.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #327 on: 12/16/2017 03:30 pm »
I'm kind of curious about why one pad it black and the other white. If the black paint is radar reflective to make landings more precise, did they find radar reflective white paint, or integrate equivalent or better reflectivity in the concrete?

Or just to make it look cool.

Well, if you wanted to test different coatings, then having two boosters landing at the same time would control for weather conditions and time of day.
« Last Edit: 12/16/2017 03:36 pm by Saabstory88 »

Offline CuddlyRocket

Perhaps there's a difference in the radar reflectivity of the two pads to enable the individual boosters to distinguish between the two, thereby reducing the chances of one booster getting confused and both attempting to land at the same pad?

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #329 on: 12/16/2017 03:35 pm »
I think it's just refinement of pad construction using lessons learned. If we see a third pad built, I bet it looks just like the second pad.

Unless, of course, it has a cradle for BFR.  Then all bets are off and it's unexplored R&D territory again.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #330 on: 12/16/2017 03:38 pm »
Could also be the pads will be colour coded. If a third one is built for 3 core RTLS, I wouldn't be surprised if it was painted blue with a white X. Makes a it a lot easier to understand where each core is suppose to go and reduce the likelihood of one core thinking it was a second stage and trying to land on the interstage of the other  ;D
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #331 on: 12/16/2017 03:49 pm »
Perhaps there's a difference in the radar reflectivity of the two pads to enable the individual boosters to distinguish between the two, thereby reducing the chances of one booster getting confused and both attempting to land at the same pad?
I'm pretty sure radar is just for the altimeter.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline IanThePineapple

Maybe they made a white radar-reflective paint, or they're just happy with its accuracy without the special paint.

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #333 on: 12/16/2017 04:03 pm »
Have the strap-ons been mated to the core?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #334 on: 12/16/2017 05:27 pm »
I think the preferred term is side booster? Strap-ons? Mating? Might be a different forum you're thinking of?

That said I think they have been but we haven't seen any public pics yet IIRC.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #335 on: 12/16/2017 06:23 pm »
Heavy breathing!

HAWTHORNE, Calif. – Dec. 14, 2017. Media accreditation is now open for Falcon Heavy’s Demonstration Mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The launch is targeted for January 2018.

Wouldn't media accreditation/badging be through NASA/KSC given that the launch is from 39A?

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #336 on: 12/16/2017 06:23 pm »
I think the preferred term is side booster? Strap-ons? Mating? Might be a different forum you're thinking of?

Even though I thought you were too critical of my wording, thanks for the answer! :D

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
« Reply #337 on: 12/16/2017 06:27 pm »

The term in longest use in the industry is strap-on boosters. I remember this term from back in the 60's and 70's. But there are many variations and almost any of them are readily identifiable for what they are.
« Last Edit: 12/16/2017 06:28 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #338 on: 12/17/2017 03:45 am »

The term in longest use in the industry is strap-on boosters. I remember this term from back in the 60's and 70's. But there are many variations and almost any of them are readily identifiable for what they are.

It's been an AWFUL long time since some members of this forum have thought about anything except in terms of rockets, it appears.

C'mon, guys -- humans are animals too, y'know... :D
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #339 on: 12/17/2017 04:49 am »

At least they don't look like New Shepard.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography