Author Topic: MISSION FAILURE: Progress M-27M launch – Soyuz-2-1A - April 28, 2015  (Read 497150 times)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
Latest (13:29):

http://ria.ru/space/20150428/1061371243.html

Progress went into zone of visibility. No telemetry.
I wonder if this lack of telemetry is an indication of a dead spacecraft?
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
I think it's still too early to make such drastic conclusions, I'm just following news sites :) and remain hopeful that they could still resolve comm problems.
« Last Edit: 04/28/2015 10:48 am by Svetoslav »

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

I wonder if this lack of telemetry is an indication of a dead spacecraft?

Or maybe it's a loss of attitude due to the loss of altitude? The antenna can be pointed in the wrong direction if the spacecraft is deployed in the wrong attitude (which could also affect the orbit if the attitude is wrong anywhere before engine cutoff).

Unfortunately more data is needed to know what's going on - including the orbit. NORAD has yet to issue a new TLE....
« Last Edit: 04/28/2015 10:59 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Also reported on NASA TV right now.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
NASA posted an update here: https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2015/04/28/progress-cargo-craft-to-dock-with-space-station-thursday/

...Russian flight controllers initially could not confirm the health of the spacecraft’s systems and deployment of Kurs rendezvous and other navigational antennas. They selected the backup rendezvous plan with a targeted arrival Thursday for the cargo ship and its supplies for the  space station crew. The Progress spacecraft is in a safe preliminary orbit.

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
Latest, 13:59:

http://ria.ru/space/20150428/1061380357.html

Russian Progress spacecraft completes third turn around the Earth. There is no telemetry. There is going to be a meeting about what to do next.
« Last Edit: 04/28/2015 11:13 am by Svetoslav »

Offline satwatcher

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 100
Space-Track website is back online. No new orbital data on Progress M-27M.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
Latest, 13:59:

http://ria.ru/space/20150428/1061380357.html

Russian Progress spacecraft completes third turn around the Earth. There is no telemetry. There is going to be a meeting about what to do next.
On a bright side - that means that TLEs provided were most certainly incorrect - otherwise the spacecraft would've likely reentered by now.

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 0

Looks like the Russians just got video from the Progress spacecraft - it seems to be rapidly rotating on the long axis....  :o

Online DaveS

• Sweden
I think we just got some TLM! Video downlink showed spacecraft in wild spin!

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online DaveS

• Sweden
I think the conclusion right now is complete loss of attitude control, especially if has been spinning ever since launch!

Looks like the Russians just got video from the Progress spacecraft - it seems to be rapidly rotating on the long axis....  :o

My rudimentary count shows that it is tumbling with an angular speed of 60 degrees per second (6 seconds per revolution).  :-X

Online DaveS

• Sweden

My rudimentary count shows that it is tumbling with an angular speed of 60 degrees per second (6 seconds per revolution).  :-X
I got the same rate by counting the seconds between each appearance of atmospheric limb in the video.

Offline lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 3
Is that video available anywhere?

Offline RotoSequence

Is that video available anywhere?

I caught a glimpse of it on NASA TV when they were displaying the video in the upper right at Russian mission control.

Offline satwatcher

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 100
Ground track map as shown on NASA TV shows it late with respect to the 123 to 127km perigee orbits published by space-track, suggesting it did boost its orbit.

Offline RotoSequence

NASA TV reports that rotation dampening commands were sent to the Progress spacecraft towards the tail end of the ground station pass. They'll have to wait ~an hour and 14 minutes to find out if the commands went through and/or were successful.

Online DaveS

• Sweden
I wonder if this a bit of shades of Gemini VIII here? Stuck thruster? That could explain the high rotational rate and why it was only in one axis.

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
Ground track map as shown on NASA TV shows it late with respect to the 123 to 127km perigee orbits published by space-track, suggesting it did boost its orbit.
... suggesting that these orbits were erroneous.
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography