Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SES-10 with reuse of CRS-8 Booster SN/1021 : 2017-03-30 : DISCUSSION  (Read 500393 times)

Offline Reflectiv

• UK - South Gloucestershire
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1485
I'm a little surprised this didn't raise the insurance rate.

I recommend Martin Halliwell's answer to this, in the previously mentioned media event - at 17:38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqFCaaLEBc&feature=youtu.be&t=17m38s

Online Chris Bergin

https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/status/847194573902434304
Brady Kenniston‏ @TheFavoritist  6m6 minutes ago

@NASASpaceflight At least one blue forklift/skytrack type machine was moving around on the pad but that’s all the activity I could see.

--

Still waiting on Falcon 9 rollout.
« Last Edit: 03/29/2017 09:19 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
With the re-use attempt of the Falcon 9 and the up-and-coming start of Model 3 production (plus various minor endeavours such as photovoltaic roof tiles, solar panels, Hyperloop, tunnel boring, battery production) was there ever another Man of Industry with more irons in the fire and more risk on the line? This year will be incredible intense for Musk. Hope he holds up.   

Offline Herb Schaltegger

With the re-use attempt of the Falcon 9 and the up-and-coming start of Model 3 production (plus various minor endeavours such as photovoltaic roof tiles, solar panels, Hyperloop, tunnel boring, battery production) was there ever another Man of Industry with more irons in the fire and more risk on the line? This year will be incredible intense for Musk. Hope he holds up.   

You forgot Neuralink.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-hy-musk-neuralink-20170328-story.html
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
I'm a little surprised this didn't raise the insurance rate. There are a whole lot of factors you can't test on a stand.

The insurance market is pretty competitive right now:

The good news so far in 2016 is offset by the fact that the cost of insurance covering a satellite’s launch and first year in orbit is at an historic low of around 5 percent, some 60 percent less than the rate 10 years ago.

The reason: The continued success of the Ariane 5 rocket, whose last failure was in 2002, and the fact that space insurance underwriting has generated good profit over the years. The promise of easy money has attracted many new underwriters, who now compete for a place in the policies of the biggest operators such as Intelsat, SES, Eutelsat and Inmarsat.

“Ariane 5 insurance rates are around the 4 percent mark,” said Russell Sawyer, executive director of Willis Towers Watson’s Inspace brokerage. “If you had talked about launch and in-orbit rates being that low 15 years ago, everybody would have thought you were crazy.”

SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket can be insured for only slightly higher rates than Ariane 5. Russia’s Proton vehicle, which has suffered multiple failures in the past five years, is insured at around triple the rate for Ariane 5, according to figures produced by underwriter SCOR Global.

http://spacenews.com/space-insurers-warn-that-current-low-rates-are-not-sustainable/

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84

OK. You wanted an opinion? From a mod? Here you go:

As a reader, I was intrigued by the discussion at first, and I learned a bit more about scheduling than I already know.  But then it started to get into beating a dead horse territory and second guessing territory, and I got bored. I've been a PM myself (what a thankless job!!) and I thought Brovane's example was SPOT ON. It fit this

Thanks for the explanation. First of all, I have met user Brovane personally and he's a great guy, so I am sorry if it seemed like I was being hostile to him in the discussion - I totally wasn't.

However I am still far from convinced the analogy with the switch replacement applies to the SES-10 launch or SpaceX activities in general.

At the end it happened that they got delayed by other reasons unfortunately. I hope SpaceX will start ramping up launch rates soon!

PS I also used to work for IBM, I think it is exactly 10 years this month when I left! Good memories.

Online butters

• Liked: 1692
  • Likes Given: 597
SFN webcam is back up after showing color bars all day. F9 not visible (yet).

Offline faramund

• Australia
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 56

You forgot Neuralink.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-hy-musk-neuralink-20170328-story.html
I think people overly neglect history - how about Thomas Edison?

Offline clegg78

• I play KSP, so I know things about rockets and stuff... :)
  • Denver, CO
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 15

You forgot Neuralink.

I think people overly neglect history - how about Thomas Edison?

Well... I don't think Musk is blatantly stealing ALL his ideas and calling them his own new inventions :)  If Edison was anything, a thief is the main one.
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - Hunter S Thompson

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Is it just me or does SpaceX seems strangely quiet about this launch? I would have thought we would have seen at least a press release by now, possibly a teaser video or something... Surely I'm not the only one.
SpaceX has been quiet, but Elon's been incredibly chatty this week on Twitter. Thing is, he's been talking about Tesla's model 3, his new Neuralink firm, OpenAI, and even a brief teaser for the lunar mission.  I'm sure he'll squeeze SES-10 in there.  Word was he was going to be attending the launch in person.

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
A key point from yesterday's SES briefing I haven't seen mentioned is why they think booster re-use is important. It isn't cost reduction, as satellite cost dwarfs launch cost, but more certainty on launch schedule and reduction in

Launch and satellite costs are not completely independent. If launches were extremely cheap, there would probably be a class of satellites that would not be built so expensive, would be replaced much more often to take advantage of new designs etc...

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Can we keep this thread on topic? General Elon Musk talk should probably go elsewhere.

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
I might add that I find it amazing that's there's been almost a deafening silence lately when it comes to the spreadsheet created by Tory Bruno (or at least touted by him) and then vigorously debated on this forum on the cost benefit of reuse.

It was created by Dr. George Sowers, VP Advanced Programs for United Launch Alliance. Who has chosen in the past week to retire.

I have wondered about that coincidence. I wish him well in retirement.

The true significance of the success of this mission is for SX alone. Musk said that he would have considered them to have failed if LV reuse did not succeed.

Many have forgotten this. He hasn't.

If this mission succeeds, and nothing more comes of it ... SX has, as a venture, succeeded in his opinion.

I wish him and SX well in their accomplishment and reaching the goal they set for themselves.

Offline stcks

• Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 312
Comparing press kits...

Echostar-23 MECO @ 2:43
SES-10 MECO @ 2:38

:o :o :o

No wonder SpaceX said they would give SES some pieces of this booster....  ;D

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
Comparing press kits...

Surely they'll be throttling the engines for much of the flight rather than trying to land on 3% propellant reserves...!

Offline stcks

Comparing press kits...

Surely they'll be throttling the engines for much of the flight rather than trying to land on 3% propellant reserves...!

Yeah, thats the only thing that makes sense. Its why just looking at burn times is often misleading, gotta also look at MECO velocity.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2017 01:43 am by stcks »

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Question.  Does anyone know - and I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere - if B1021 will be flying this time with its original engines?  We know that they were removed after its first flight.

- Ed Kyle

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
Question.  Does anyone know - and I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere - if B1021 will be flying this time with its original engines?  We know that they were removed after its first flight.

- Ed Kyle
In the Q&A with the SES CTO he stated that no engines were replaced and that the booster is essentially all the original parts. No significant part replacements occurred.

The relevant question and answer start at about 14:40.
Yesterday's SES press briefing

Edit: including reference to video
« Last Edit: 03/30/2017 02:24 am by cppetrie »

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
For what it's worth, which likely isn't much, I grabbed a frame off SFN's Livestream feed then pushed it to the contrast limit. Looks like two big vertical things.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2017 02:31 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline stcks

Water tower on the left, RSS on the right. Couldn't see a stage with that method anyway as it would be blocked by the RSS. See here: https://gfycat.com/HoarseFriendlyArcticwolf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography