Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1  (Read 790170 times)

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #1240 on: 01/21/2018 09:29 pm »
Can SpaceX just pay the right people to come to work or are there some sort of rules similar to strikes/lockouts?

SpaceX doesn't pay for gov't workers directly
Which is why I asked if they could...

We are not talking about people to move road blocks, these are people trained to operate sophisticated equipment in government buildings. Access to buildings would be restricted, and skilled workers impossible to come by on short notice.
He didn't say hire replacements, he said to pay the appropriate people.

Technically, the answer is probably yes; practically the answer is probably not. If you have a contract, the gov't could expend your contract money to work, but the contracts people won't be working. I've worked with a gov't group that (in previous shutdowns) used money received through FMS (Foreign Military Sales) to keep people working. You just don't have FY18 budgetary funding. If you have prior year money, you can generally spend that, as the Smithsonian said was their plan. Or you can use money received by other means. Depending on their accounting, the range probably could stay open by expending range fees, if those fees are received directly into their accounts and not into more general ones. But if they don't do their accounting that way, or just don't feel like shuffling things there's not anything you can do.
Yeah, my bad on the ambiguity. Paying the salaries of the currently furloughed employees so they can work is indeed what I meant.

Hopefully the government sorts this out smart quick, but I'm sure someone at SpaceX is thinking about this, should it drag on for a while.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #1241 on: 01/21/2018 09:55 pm »
Can SpaceX just pay the right people to come to work or are there some sort of rules similar to strikes/lockouts?

SpaceX doesn't pay for gov't workers directly
Which is why I asked if they could...

We are not talking about people to move road blocks, these are people trained to operate sophisticated equipment in government buildings. Access to buildings would be restricted, and skilled workers impossible to come by on short notice.

Technically, the answer is probably yes; practically the answer is probably not.
Yeah, my bad on the ambiguity. Paying the salaries of the currently furloughed employees so they can work is indeed what I meant.

Hopefully the government sorts this out smart quick, but I'm sure someone at SpaceX is thinking about this, should it drag on for a while.
FWIW - I have a colleague working as a scientist at NIST that is furloughed now.  They are not allowed to work in the field they are trained for at all!  Nor maintain communications via email, phone etc.  Don't know if this is NIST specific.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #1242 on: 01/21/2018 09:58 pm »
FWIW - I have a colleague working as a scientist at NIST that is furloughed now.  They are not allowed to work in the field they are trained for at all!  Nor maintain communications via email, phone etc.  Don't know if this is NIST specific.

It's not NIST specific.

Offline midnightrider3000

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1243 on: 01/21/2018 09:59 pm »

Does SpaceX pay any fees anytime they launch, WDR or static fires?
« Last Edit: 01/21/2018 10:01 pm by midnightrider3000 »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1244 on: 01/21/2018 10:10 pm »

I heard a campaign all in runs about 1.5mil in fees, but I have no source for that, nor any idea if it is more for more attempts, more WDRs etc...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #1245 on: 01/21/2018 10:38 pm »
There is a thread for further discussion of the government shutdown:
The impact of a government shutdown on KSC testing

Online RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6791
  • Likes Given: 1609
« Reply #1246 on: 01/21/2018 11:02 pm »
welp, they got 2 options, either they continue WDRing ( no range needed), or they rollback and let everybody rest.
"The Starship has landed"

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #1247 on: 01/21/2018 11:11 pm »
welp, they got 2 options, either they continue WDRing ( no range needed), or they rollback and let everybody rest.
Or continue WDRing until everything looks perfect and then rollback and let some people rest and others get back to removing the RSS.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline IanThePineapple

Or continue WDRing until everything looks perfect and then rollback and let some people rest and others get back to removing the RSS.

Sounds like what they might do IMO. WDR the crap out of it, then give the poor thing a rest and work on the RSS and do some extreme data studying (New Olympic sport? :) ).
« Last Edit: 01/21/2018 11:41 pm by IanThePineapple »

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1249 on: 01/21/2018 11:49 pm »
Is there a list of the all of the dates that WDRs actually occurred on since FH was raised on the pad on the 9th?

Several "looks like" or "could be" entries in posts/observations.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 12:10 am by Yeknom-Ecaps »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #1250 on: 01/21/2018 11:57 pm »

Sounds like what they might do IMO. WDR the crap out of it, then give the poor thing a rest and work on the RSS and do some extreme data studying (New Olympic sport? :) ).

There ARE risks (and costs) associated with WDRs, so I wouldn't expect them to do any more than they absolutely need to.  Better to give themselves a rest.. or study more data. :)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1251 on: 01/22/2018 12:58 am »

I heard a campaign all in runs about 1.5mil in fees, but I have no source for that, nor any idea if it is more for more attempts, more WDRs etc...
Hang on, if SpaceX is paying fees to the range for their ops, why is the range affected by the shutdown? I thought that if an agency or activity is funded through user fees, it could continue to operate? Is too much of the overall funding of the range not from the commercial operator fees?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #1252 on: 01/22/2018 01:51 am »

Hang on, if SpaceX is paying fees to the range for their ops, why is the range affected by the shutdown? I thought that if an agency or activity is funded through user fees, it could continue to operate? Is too much of the overall funding of the range not from the commercial operator fees?

User fees only funds an offset and not the greater portion

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #1253 on: 01/22/2018 04:41 am »

Lar had an unconfirmed value of 1.5m per launch campaign for commercial launches, so lots(ish) of external money is funding it. The military part of it is much more difficult to quantify and making accurate cost assignments therein is...well  *****d if I know.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #1254 on: 01/22/2018 05:35 am »

Lar had an unconfirmed value of 1.5m per launch campaign for commercial launches, so lots(ish) of external money is funding it. The military part of it is much more difficult to quantify and making accurate cost assignments therein is...well  *****d if I know.

That isn't lots.  And it isn't funding the range, it is funding the direct support that Spacex gets such as range safety analysis or overtime work.  It does not pay for keeping the doors open.

The range is a mix of civil servants, military and contractor personnel. 

« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 05:38 am by Jim »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #1255 on: 01/22/2018 07:02 am »

Keep in mind that FH has a key value to NSS for the program to advance. Few could launch the largest payloads.

Not really

How long has a DIVH sit on the pad, 9 months?

So, you like to live with no contingencies, no backup? Doesn't sound like the AF I've known.

Not the best of arguments. USAF has been without a backup for Delta IVH since 2005. Why would they be in a rush to have one now?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #1256 on: 01/22/2018 01:23 pm »

SpaceX is paying for the marginal costs of their launch, but not the general overhead of running the range.  Or maybe the marginal costs plus some nominal amount towards overhead on a per launch basis.  But the range is multiuser and many of those uses are not going to be done during shutdown.  SpaceX paying only their portion doesn't cover everything.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #1257 on: 01/22/2018 01:49 pm »

Keep in mind that FH has a key value to NSS for the program to advance. Few could launch the largest payloads.

Not really

How long has a DIVH sit on the pad, 9 months?

So, you like to live with no contingencies, no backup? Doesn't sound like the AF I've known.

Not the best of arguments. USAF has been without a backup for Delta IVH since 2005. Why would they be in a rush to have one now?

Or Titan IV from 1989 to 2004

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 837
« Reply #1258 on: 01/22/2018 01:58 pm »
It would appear from the article Raytheon Team Wins $2 Billion Air Force Range Support Contract, on contracts to run the Eastern and Western ranges, that the total government expenditures to run the ranges is about $200 million per year.  Even if there was a launch per week, that would be about $4 million per launch.

So if the user fees are indeed $1.5 million per launch, they are nowhere close to covering the cost of running the range.  Of course the range also supports military and other government operations, so commercial launches should not be expected to pay for all of it, but it looks like commercial launches are paying a pretty small share.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #1259 on: 01/22/2018 02:00 pm »
Bottom line is that range personnel are either government employees or government contract employees. Either way their paychecks are funded by government expenditures. So when there is a government shutdown no government employee except essential personnel get paid. So until the shutdown is over all non-essential activities are suspended. That includes everything Falcon Heavy. It is shut down.

This is rapidly becoming a dead horse that people want to keep beating and is also in danger of going off topic so can we please just accept the bad news and leave it alone?
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography