Author Topic: ORBIT - A Journey Around Earth in Real Time [4k]  (Read 1976 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
ORBIT - A Journey Around Earth in Real Time [4k]
« on: 09/28/2018 01:04 am »
Found this on YouTube, it may be of interest to NSF members who have 4K TV's.  It seems to be a creative project, not just a replay of an existing ISS video.  Enjoy, Tony.

ORBIT - A Journey Around Earth in Real Time [4k]

Seán Doran
Published on Feb 9, 2018
NASA / ESRSU / Phaeleh / Seán Doran

Video ©Seán Doran
Music ©Phaeleh

Meditate on the beauty of our home.

Orbit is a real-time reconstruction of time-lapse photography taken on board the International Space Station by NASA's Earth Science & Remote Sensing Unit.

The structure of the film is built around a nested selection of Phaeleh's last three albums; Lost Time, Illusion of the Tale & Somnus. The tone & pacing of each track influenced the choice of material used.

Typically each time-lapse sequence was photographed at 1 frame per second.

Each sequence was processed in Photoshop. A dirt map was made in order to repair dust, blemishes and hot pixel artifacts that would otherwise confuse the re-timing phase of the workflow resulting in strobes and distracting blurs.

Image processing techniques were used to emphasize features on the Earth's surface. Every sequence consists of a number of layers that when masked, processed & blended correctly produce the final look of each shot.

To make sure each sequence was recreated faithfully to the actual rate of speed observed I referenced time-stamps on the first and last frame in the sequence and used frame interpolation software to produce the other 59 frames.

The length of the film is exactly the length of time it takes ISS to orbit the Earth once, 92 minutes & 39 seconds.

Seán Doran,
February 5th, 2018

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography