Author Topic: Antares A-One General Discussion Thread (2)  (Read 63383 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

DISCUSSION THREAD FOR ANTARES A-ONE MISSION - From launch day to post launch.

Please note the difference between this thread and the update thread.

UPDATE THREAD IS HERE:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31663.0

For everything else, here's the Party Thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30923.0

Viewing Opportunities/Going to the Launch:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31517.0

Resources:

Orbital GENERAL Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=46.0

Orbital (Antares/Cygnus) News Articles (Recent):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/antares/

L2 Antares/Cygnus Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=orbital
(Includes updates, videos, graphics, presentations and specific interactive posts with engineers etc.).

As always, stay on topic and use the correct threads.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 03:20 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Antares A-One General Discussion Thread (2)
« Reply #1 on: 04/17/2013 03:38 am »
hello chris,

are the official odds for tomorrow still 30%, or was the stated 45% later this afternoon (that i now can't even find) the new official word?

...and given that i'm about four hours away, do you think there will be another recalculation before noon tomorrow? ::)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 04/17/2013 03:42 am »
Now that would be a really good post in the new discussion thread....so let's move that there.

I believe the 30 percent was factoring in the potential for a scrub due to vehicle/GSE issue.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 04/17/2013 04:44 am »
found it.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cargo/orbitalsciences-index.html

"There is a 45 percent chance of favorable weather at the time of launch. Low clouds are the primary concern for a weather violation."

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #4 on: 04/17/2013 12:48 pm »
A-ONE is the mission name, but is the rocket's tail number 1, or 2?  (following the pathfinder vehicle).
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #5 on: 04/17/2013 12:54 pm »
Quick question will orbital be doing any sort of webcast or will the only coverage be NASA TV?
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #6 on: 04/17/2013 01:11 pm »
Quick question will orbital be doing any sort of webcast or will the only coverage be NASA TV?

No Orbital webcast. NASA TV will webcast.

Edit: Chris, sorry, didn't realize reference to (unnamed) website was verboten...
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 01:34 pm by Kabloona »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #7 on: 04/17/2013 01:13 pm »
Will there be cameras on the rocket's first and second stages? Will there be live views from the rocket during the launch?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: 04/17/2013 01:19 pm »
Will there be cameras on the rocket's first and second stages? Will there be live views from the rocket during the launch?

According to Orbital, there are cameras on the first stage (looking down), and on the second stage (for stage and fairing separation). The first stage view will be available live but as the second stage events will be after Antares flies past the horizon, they will downlink those feeds later, after the second stage is in space.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #9 on: 04/17/2013 01:26 pm »

According to Orbital, there are cameras on the first stage (looking down), and on the second stage (for stage and fairing separation). The first stage view will be available live but as the second stage events will be after Antares flies past the horizon, they will downlink those feeds later, after the second stage is in space.
A good time to remind ourselves not to be surprised when the second stage doesn't ignite after first stage separation.  It will coast first, for 1 minute 24 seconds after separation, which itself comes five seconds after first stage shut down.

- Ed Kyle

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 2138
« Reply #10 on: 04/17/2013 01:58 pm »
From the update thread:
Orbital Sciences ‏@OrbitalSciences
Launch prep at #NASA_Wallops continues. The #Antares vehicle team completed final arming and close out activities last night at 9 PM EDT.
@OrbitalSciences: The launch team will arrive on console at approximately 8:45 AM.  The count will pick up at 9 AM with an anticipated T-0 of 5 PM EDT.

Does the completion of close out activities mean that the remaining activities are all of the button-pushing type rather than the wrench-turning type? What's left to do today before launch?

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: 04/17/2013 02:09 pm »
Does the completion of close out activities mean that the remaining activities are all of the button-pushing type rather than the wrench-turning type? What's left to do today before launch?

I can't speak to every activity that is involved, but I know there was some physical turning of wrenches that needed to go on. We had some close out personnel come by our building yesterday morning (The contract I'm on at WFF  is headed by Orbital, though a different division) needing to borrow several taps to clean out some threaded holes on the pad. Further, a ground safety friend of mine made a comment on facebook last night talking about being OSS for arming operations. More than just button pushing and paperwork (though I'm sure there is plenty of that as well!).

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #12 on: 04/17/2013 03:08 pm »
Hmm, strange......

Ben Cooper ‏@LaunchPhoto
For the record, once O2 tanking were to begin, launch window reduced to 15 minutes.  #Antares

A bug (feature?) inherited from Zenit? (which almost always launches without scrubs)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 04/17/2013 03:10 pm »
No - a feature of the AJ26 (sub-cooled LOX)
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #14 on: 04/17/2013 03:13 pm »

IIRC it was said that some of the cameras are pointing at internal things that are "only of interest to engineers" rather than external views.

PS: Good luck, Orbital...
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 03:14 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #15 on: 04/17/2013 03:17 pm »

A good time to remind ourselves not to be surprised when the second stage doesn't ignite after first stage separation.  It will coast first, for 1 minute 24 seconds after separation, which itself comes five seconds after first stage shut down.

- Ed Kyle

thanks for the heads up on that Ed, should be a very interesting launch.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #16 on: 04/17/2013 03:35 pm »

- Ed Kyle

thanks for the heads up on that Ed, should be a very interesting launch.

It's obviously a very different machine from the ULA launchers or Falcon-9.  Would I be right in saying that the core will get almost all the way to orbit and the U/S is little more than a kick stage to get the perigee up?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #17 on: 04/17/2013 03:50 pm »
As we get nearer to launch, you can track all aircraft in the vicinity of Wallops here:

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KWAL
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #18 on: 04/17/2013 03:55 pm »
It's obviously a very different machine from the ULA launchers or Falcon-9.  Would I be right in saying that the core will get almost all the way to orbit and the U/S is little more than a kick stage to get the perigee up?
I wouldn't call it just a "kick stage".  It is a bonafide stage powered by a sizable solid motor.  This 14 tonne motor (twice as heavy as a Delta 2 second stage) burns for 155 seconds, one of the longest-burning solid motors I can recall.  It works at better than 301 seconds ISP.  It has a composite case and a big nozzle, so it is very mass and fuel efficient.

- Ed Kyle

« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 03:57 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432
« Reply #19 on: 04/17/2013 04:48 pm »
I wouldn't call it just a "kick stage".  It is a bonafide stage powered by a sizable solid motor.  This 14 tonne motor (twice as heavy as a Delta 2 second stage) burns for 155 seconds, one of the longest-burning solid motors I can recall.  It works at better than 301 seconds ISP.  It has a composite case and a big nozzle, so it is very mass and fuel efficient.

- Ed Kyle
I understand that the total energy is conserved during coasting, but does the long coast phase means there would be excess vertical velocity after S1 MECO? Then why the trajectory is not lowered during the first stage flight?

Can someone explain why coasting for so long?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography