Author Topic: Big Falcon Hopper onwards - Starship Hopper, Starship, Super Heavy Render thread  (Read 693011 times)

Offline Pheogh

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 28
Just adding to the leg speculation. Sorry in advance for the rough renders but just wanted to get the idea out there. The goal was to make sure the legs were completely inside the body. Incorporate the F9 pneumatic extenders. Reinforce the skirt internally to meet up with the forces after deployment. I'm sure it's a flight of fancy, but also thought it would be cool if there was some kind of ranging that could be done on descent such that the legs were already prepositioned at touch down. Again these are working renders just for concept blocking. 
« Last Edit: 09/24/2020 10:40 pm by Pheogh »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 51319
  • Likes Given: 21840
https://twitter.com/ds_courier/status/1309437041839611911

Just a few more of these and then we'll start working on the updated  model!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/mariusmeyer3/status/1309567638918647808

Enjoyed the part about the proposed Leg Options. Here is my proposal in the form of a rudimentary animation. (3 - 4 Legs) I'm sure your 3D artist can do much better. I enjoy your shows very much.  Felix, you rock!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

Offline livingjw

• New World
  • Liked: 5414
  • Likes Given: 2690
https://twitter.com/ercxspace/status/1311369990344409088

Making Life Multiplanetary.

#SpaceX #Starship

- Very nice, but I would expect to see anti-sway arms to stabilize against wind.
- Also, propellant and umbilical lines are planned to enter from the bottom.

John
« Last Edit: 10/01/2020 12:31 am by livingjw »

Offline xvel

• I'm metric and I'm proud of it
  • Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 239

- Very nice, but I would expect to see anti-sway arms to stabilize against wind.

John

John

but what really is the point of fueling starship through superheavy?
And God said: "Let there be a metric system". And there was the metric system.
And God saw that it was a good system.

Offline moreno7798

John

John

The point is that that will be the same way in-orbit fueling will work. So why not a common system?
The only humans that make no mistakes are the ones that do nothing. The only mistakes that are failures are the ones where nothing is learned.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2525
  • Likes Given: 3225

John

John

The point is that that will be the same way in-orbit fueling will work. So why not a common system?

You can still do that through the interstage section of Super Heavy. 

I won't be surprised if they use umbilical arms for fuel and oxidizer. 

I fully expect there will be an umbilical arm for a air duct to the payload bay and interstage.  That duct will be pretty big so they won't want to the weight and size penalty of routing that through the vehicle. 

Edit: Gorgeous renders, thank you!
« Last Edit: 10/01/2020 12:37 am by wannamoonbase »
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Online SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 2071

John

John

Yes - but wouldn’t it make a lot more sense to have an umbilical tie in at the SH portion of the interstate section then feed the SS from there. By doing that a lot of extra mass in plumbing and electrical cables could be eliminated from the SH.

Edit - ninja’d by wannamoonbase
« Last Edit: 10/01/2020 12:41 am by SteveU »
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4187
  • Likes Given: 2
>
Yes - but wouldn’t it make a lot more sense to have an umbilical tie in at the SH portion of the interstate section then feed the SS from there. By doing that a lot of extra mass in plumbing and electrical cables could be eliminated from the SH.

Which adds quick disconnect interfaces which can (and have) fail and umbilicals which can fry from the big blowtorch. Internal they're protected.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2020 10:38 am by docmordrid »
DM

Online SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 2071
>

Which adds quick disconnect interfaces which can (and have) fail and umbilicals which can fry from the big blowtorch. Internal they're protected.
I've never really bought into the belief that the full stack would be fueled/serviced by a single GSE connection.  While minimizing the number interfaces, you've significantly increased the complexity of the SH plumbing system by adding valves to shift flow from one vehicle to another and added the mass of the extra piping and valves, etc.

I would also imagine you'll now need to fuel SH and SS sequentially significantly increasing the length of time needed.

While there are pros and cons to each method, I just cannot see the benefit of having a single GSE connection to the stack - especially at the bottom.  As aesthetically pleasing as it may be.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2020 12:12 pm by SteveU »
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Online sebk

• Europe
  • Liked: 571
  • Likes Given: 16997
>

I've never really bought into the belief that the full stack would be fueled/serviced by a single GSE connection.  While minimizing the number interfaces, you've significantly increased the complexity of the SH plumbing system by adding valves to shift flow from one vehicle to another and added the mass of the extra piping and valves, etc.

I would also imagine you'll now need to fuel SH and SS sequentially significantly increasing the length of time needed.

While there are pros and cons to each method, I just cannot see the benefit of having a single GSE connection to the stack - especially at the bottom.  As aesthetically pleasing as it may be.

We're off topic here (in this thread). But this is about simplicity of the operations. Connections close to ground level simplify operations. You want simplicity if you want to fly tanker 3 times a day.

Online _MECO

• Central KY, USA
  • Liked: 775
  • Likes Given: 446
>

We're off topic here (in this thread). But this is about simplicity of the operations. Connections close to ground level simplify operations. You want simplicity if you want to fly tanker 3 times a day.

You're right. Too much discussion in the render thread. May this crude but symbolic doodle of the first orbital Starship zeroing out its apogee as it falls down to the target altitude and comes up to orbital speed usher a safe return of the thread to pictures of cool CGI renders.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/ercxspace/status/1311369990344409088

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1311743665467994112

Great render! The circumferential welds & skin panels will be much smoother in future builds.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nickhenning3d/status/1312440232332062721

What will the first orbital Starship look like? 

Here is my concept for what we might see during the #SpaceX #Starship presentation latter this month.  Smaller test windows, exterior mounted legs, and a full belly of thermal tiles. 

What do my fellow space fans think?

Offline geza

• Budapest
    • Géza Meszéna's web page
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 59
Very nice. My only objection is the protruding leg covers on the winward side. They will mess with the hypersonic flow, I guess.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston