Author Topic: Another Venus bound probe in the works?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Another Venus bound probe in the works?
« on: 11/07/2005 09:12 am »
A couple of paragraphs from the Venus Express launch preparation report at federalspace.ru (my translation) : “…The [Russian] federal space program for 2006-2015 includes development and launch of a new space probe – ‘Venus-D’ to investigate the atmosphere and surface of Venus… which includes a lander with a planned lifetime on the surface of one month…”  Good call with the planet!  Venus needs more attention. :)

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: Another Venus bound probe in the works?
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2005 02:39 pm »
I didn't know one could land on Venus??
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2005 07:26 pm »
Yes, take a look here: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/venera75.html  There are some photos.  It is, however a much more difficult feat to acomplish, than, say landing on Mars due to the downright nasty conditions (pressure, temperatures, wind, chemical activity, )throught the descent and at the surface (surprisingly, Lavochkin center's landing Venus probes were much more succesful than the ones to Mars)  They've also deployed a baloon probe.  The total surface time for 7 landers was 10 hours total!  It's tough but can be done.

Offline Spacely

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2005 10:41 pm »
Well, before thinking about Russian landers, let's hope that Russian rocket actually manages to get the V Express into space without, you know, blowing up.

It's certainly been a rough couple months for Russian rocket tech.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2005 12:44 am »
Right, I'm also crossing my fingers for the Venus-Express getting a good ride in a couple of days.  I was just glad that people still remember Venus.  While not a good candidate for a manned mission (at least yet), but such an interesting and lately largely ignored planet (thanks to ESA for Venus Express!)

Offline Spacely

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 11/08/2005 12:49 am »
I, too, enjoy Venus exploration and I hope Express gets there and gets some great science. I am quite intrigued by some of the proposals floating around for a "flagship" mission to Venus sometime in the next 15 years. Granted, I want to get to Titan (or Neptune) first, but a surface rover on Venus would prove incredibly exciting and well worth NASA bucks.

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2005 09:47 am »
lmike - 7/11/2005  8:26 PM

[Landing] is, however a much more difficult feat to acomplish, than, say landing on Mars due to the downright nasty conditions (pressure, temperatures, wind, chemical activity, )throught the descent and at the surface.
Actually, landing is relatively easy. It's surviving for any length of time at the surface that's the problem.

The atmosphers is so dense that you don't really need a parachute, just floating down (like you would sinking through water).  And although the air is hot, the radiative and conductive heat transfer from the rocks of the surface is much greater - the Venera probes were probably killed by the heat frying the electronics (although lightning strikes can't be ruled out).

Offline JulesVerneATV

• Regular
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: 11/09/2005 08:05 pm »
Venera-D landing craft will be delivered to Venus in the ballistic pattern used for the Venera-4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 missions. During these missions, the signal of the landing craft after re-entry was transmitted directly to the Earth, while in later projects it was relayed during the fly-by stage.
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESA_Permanent_Mission_in_Russia/SEM0LFW4QWD_0.html
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESA_Permanent_Mission_in_Russia/SEM0LFW4QWD_2.html
At present it is most likely that a Soyuz launcher will be used for the Venera-D spacecraft, as in previous Venus missions. According to a preliminary estimate by Lavochkin NPO, the overall mass of the landing craft could reach 1300 kg.

Venera-D is a Venus lander by Roscosmos planned to survive from a few months to 1 year on the surface plus they have a joint Moon mission planned with China, Luna-Glob consisting of an orbiter, lander and 2 penetrators

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography