Author Topic: NSF crowd-sourced live broadcast...  (Read 59728 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
NSF crowd-sourced live broadcast...
« on: 06/21/2014 10:36 pm »
Now that we're scrubbed for the day, how about discussing a NSF crowd sourced live stream? YouTube supports live streams pretty well. There are webcams from various people and lots of people have smartphones at a launch. We could have NSF members volunteer to live stream the launch from various angle, Chris Bergin or whoever could provide live commentary, maybe have a twitter feed going at the bottom of the screen, and someone could assemble it all and send the stream to Youtube for live broadcast. There are free and/or cheap software suites capable of doing this and all sorts of apps for setting up remote stream broadcasts that could be used as feeds. Here's one such suite:
http://obsproject.com/

I don't have a computer with the chops to do this nor do I have a scrap of video broadcasting experience, so here's hoping someone takes up the mantle. Maybe we can set up a paypal account (Chris Bergin?) for this effort, if any funding is needed.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2014 12:01 am by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
Re: NSF crowd-sourced live broadcast...
« Reply #1 on: 06/21/2014 10:53 pm »
Even if we don't have an actual NSF live stream we could have individual members start broadcasting from their own smart phones. I may go to the next Antares launch, so I should be able to provide a live feed of that, provided I have service.

And there is this webcam: http://www.portcanaveralcruisecam.com/

We can at least make a collection of stream links so that we have enough source content in case we want to make a real NSF live channel.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: 06/21/2014 10:57 pm »
I think I will try the Ustream Broadcaster app if I get to watch the next Antares launch:
http://www.ustream.tv/platform/broadcast-anywhere/new
Anyone else go to launches that has a smartphone?

Offline Nathan

• Sydney
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: 06/21/2014 11:14 pm »
A collection of stream links is all that is required. I'm sure the important launches will be live streamed anyway.
Given finite cash, if we want to go to Mars then we should go to Mars.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: 06/21/2014 11:15 pm »
This thread is not about complaining or critiquing SpaceX's PR decisions, it's about pulling together so we can watch regardless of their decision, perhaps from viewpoints that we wouldn't get even if they do their own webcast (they cut off earlier than we might like, for instance). This is a good opportunity, actually, to take the community reporting effort here to the next level.

Is anyone in the area who has a smartphone and is planning to watch the next launch attempt?

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #5 on: 06/21/2014 11:38 pm »
I could figure out a way to prop my iPhone against something and stream the launch, as I'll be there tomorrow scrub or not. Don't count on anything though.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2014 11:38 pm by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #6 on: 06/22/2014 12:25 am »
Interesting idea.

However, how to actually do that?

I imagine an app like this, for instance:
- the client app allows to stream the video taken by the iphone to a server
- the server shows a matrix of streams on a monitor with some options and the possibility to add audio.
- The "director" select a single monitor time by time, or two, or the full matrix (e.g. 5x4 screen) according to quality, etc. and forward the audio from commentators to a web application like livestream. The selection can be done e.g. by touching the screen or selecting with a mouse the channels to stream.
- the audience look at the livestream as usual.

Is that what you imagine? 
Do you know if an app like that exists?

« Last Edit: 06/22/2014 12:25 am by pagheca »

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #7 on: 06/22/2014 12:35 am »
I could figure out a way to prop my iPhone against something and stream the launch, as I'll be there tomorrow scrub or not. Don't count on anything though.

With an iPhone, you're not going to see much with that wide-angle fixed-focal-length lens from the many miles you'll be from the launch site.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: 06/22/2014 12:39 am »
Pagheca: Something like that. The simplest method would be to just stream the whole screen of someone's computer, probably the second monitor. To splice in different feeds, simply drag the appropriate stream on to the second monitor. There should be some way to get rid of the border around the video windows. To focus on a stream, just make it full screen. Chris Bergin or different commentators could Skype in, and the news feed could just be a simple RSS feed or something along the bottom. The OBS project I linked to in the first post could do this in a more sophisticated manner.

But anyway, it may be nice to maintain a list of streams and to recruit NSF members to live stream from their phones, too.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2014 12:40 am by Robotbeat »

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #9 on: 06/22/2014 12:39 am »
I wouldnt complicate it by having multiple feeds, commentary, on screen twitter etc. Keep it simple, camera with good zoom perhaps using one of these http://new.livestream.com/broadcaster
- Aaron

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: 06/22/2014 12:42 am »
I wouldnt complicate it by having multiple feeds, commentary, on screen twitter etc. Keep it simple, camera with good zoom perhaps using one of these http://new.livestream.com/broadcaster
A DSLR hooked to a laptop would be ideal, but if an iPhone is all we've got, it's a start and nice to have another view!

Offline aero

• Liked: 1145
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: 06/22/2014 12:42 am »
I'd miss the view from the rocket cam, though. Do you think we could get that feed from SpaceX?
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: 06/22/2014 12:43 am »

With an iPhone, you're not going to see much with that wide-angle fixed-focal-length lens from the many miles you'll be from the launch site.
It'll still be cool!!

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 06/22/2014 12:51 am »

It'll still be cool!!

Here's an example.  This is the Maven launch from the visitor's center with a camera set to a focal length similar to an iPhone.  This is a single frame from a video.

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 06/22/2014 12:54 am »
By contrast, this is the same launch from the same place with an SLR with 400mm lens, cropped to 910mm-equivalent.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: 06/22/2014 12:58 am »
But if that's all you got... Imagine the feed cuts off or there's a first stage return.

Of course you want a DSLR if you can get it.

But I wonder if any of these apps can do digital zoom? Might make sense for a web stream.

Does anyone have much experience with broadcasting with a smartphone? I tried Qik a few years ago, but nothing much since.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #16 on: 06/22/2014 01:01 am »
If you can get 3G connectivity then there's no reason not to stream; there may be lag, there may be dropouts, but what the hell - you'll be recording anyway, so get the feed after the advertising break. There are lots of cameras out there which will play nicely with the web, including PTZ devices (remote pan/tilt/zoom) which are more suited to the job than mobile phones. In short, it is all entirely feasible. Are there any willing NSF members who are locally based, and if so, could we crowd-fund the kit? Starting from scratch, I could put it all together for £2.5k, $4K or so, and that's not being especially price conscious.

Er... ...before you ask, it's sorta my job, yes.

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
« Reply #17 on: 06/22/2014 01:02 am »
I'd miss the view from the rocket cam, though. Do you think we could get that feed from SpaceX?

Can someone built this and point it at the rocket?

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #18 on: 06/22/2014 01:02 am »
I can potentially do this for West Coast launches in the future.  If the first Falcon Heavy ends up launching from Vandenberg, I'll be there.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: 06/22/2014 01:03 am »
NOW we're talking! :D

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography