Author Topic: Use of ChatGPT for forum posts  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21434
  • Likes Given: 428
Use of ChatGPT for forum posts
« on: 07/18/2023 02:17 am »
I have a suspicion that some members are using this to make posts

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1062
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Use of ChatGPT for forum posts
« Reply #1 on: 07/18/2023 02:32 am »

In a generic manner, or for specific aims? I freely admit the recent surge in low post count posters and thread necromancy seems suspect in a standalone manner, but are you implying there is a greater goal someone is trying to achieve here? Organized disinfo campaigns, astroturfed mindshare influence ops, or trying to specifically reduce the quality/authenticity/authority of NSF?

Offline Metalskin

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 1588
« Reply #2 on: 07/18/2023 02:36 am »
Never underestimate the human need to be seen as knowledgeable, wise and right. I could easily see some types of personalities being attracted to ChatGPT to feed such needs.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest that there is any nefarious intent, more just feeding one's own needs. That's how I see it from an Occom's razer pov...
How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #3 on: 07/18/2023 02:38 am »

In a generic manner, or for specific aims? I freely admit the recent surge in low post count posters and thread necromancy seems suspect in a standalone manner, but are you implying there is a greater goal someone is trying to achieve here? Organized disinfo campaigns, astroturfed mindshare influence ops, or trying to specifically reduce the quality/authenticity/authority of NSF?

Generic.  There seems to be some posts that have technically correct information but really don't convey anything
« Last Edit: 07/18/2023 02:41 am by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #4 on: 07/18/2023 02:41 am »

In a generic manner, or for specific aims? I freely admit the recent surge in low post count posters and thread necromancy seems suspect in a standalone manner,

I wasn't even thinking of those but it fits.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2023 02:43 am by Jim »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8073
  • Likes Given: 7404
« Reply #5 on: 07/18/2023 02:41 am »

Generic.  There seems to be posts that have technically correct information but really don't convey anything

Exactly Jim.  I've noticed that on some posts.  It's like receiving a perfectly constructed email from a politician.  Lots of words, with little meat.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2023 02:42 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline tater

• NM
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #6 on: 07/18/2023 02:45 am »

Generic.  There seems to be posts that have technically correct information but really don't convey anything

Exactly Jim.  I've noticed that on some posts.  It's like receiving a perfectly constructed email from a politician.  Lots of words, with little meat.

To be fair, that describes a decent percentage of human content on forums, and the models are trained on human writing, so to the extent a model can replicate a lot of words saying nothing, it would be doing a good job of copying humans.

Offline SpacedX

• Gatineau
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #7 on: 07/18/2023 11:48 am »

Duh.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 387
« Reply #8 on: 07/18/2023 12:09 pm »

Duh.

ChatGPT suggests, "No surprise there" as a more sophisticated alternative to "Duh"

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #9 on: 07/18/2023 12:21 pm »
Would ChatGPT create posts that begin with prepositions, include paragraph-long run-on sentences, and use the word "earmarked"?

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1549
  • Likes Given: 742
« Reply #10 on: 07/18/2023 12:39 pm »
Yes, I 100% agree.  I have been wanting to say something but just held my tongue.

Some of these posts I am reading, especially from a few specific members, just ooze ChatGPT or an AI or sorts.  That combined with some extreme necroing of threads that looks like someone just copied the thread in and pasted the output as the next comment. (AI forum crawler I have seen on Reddit is an example I have seen of this).

I don't mind AI generated content but please state if your using it as AI likes to go off on tangents which I have seen here....a lot lately too.

Online SimonFD

« Reply #11 on: 07/18/2023 12:54 pm »
I'd be looking out for 'confidently wrong' information in posts that signal ChatGPT's involvement.
Mind you we do have Jim for that ;)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #12 on: 07/18/2023 01:14 pm »
Do we need to bring this to the attention of the moderators?

Offline chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1075
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #13 on: 07/18/2023 01:18 pm »
I don't doubt that there is probably ChatGPT used in some posts, but I have to wonder, what's the point? I don't quite understand why someone would do this, what the motive would be.

And I agree, I find the 10 year old threads being dug up to just post an update on what happened kind of annoying. Maybe that's the motive?

Offline SpacedX

• Gatineau
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #14 on: 07/18/2023 01:51 pm »
Do we need to bring this to the attention of the moderators?

No.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #15 on: 07/18/2023 01:51 pm »
Jeesh.

When I started this thread I was going by one or two posts by certain members.  Using the clues provided by the posters on this thread and then looking at the suspect member's profiles and all their posts at once, it really sticks out.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4192
  • Likes Given: 1692
« Reply #16 on: 07/18/2023 02:04 pm »
Jeesh.

When I started this thread I was going by one or two posts by certain members.  Using the clues provided by the posters on this thread and then looking at the suspect member's profiles and all their posts at once, it really sticks out.
I think college professors use tools to detect stuff generated by ChatGPT. I don't know if those tools will work on our environment and apparently Jim can do this manually quicker than we could set up such a tool.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 07/18/2023 02:04 pm »
There is absolutely no way to know. I think the biggest problem is long term members being rude and making such claims to new members who may come across like they are when they are likely not first-language English and use a translate tool to post in English.

Our priority here is civility and and relevance of content.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography