Author Topic: SpaceX Starship : Texas Prototype(s) Thread 16 : Discussion  (Read 531974 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

New thread (16) for discussion of the Starship prototype being built in Boca Chica, Texas.  Previous posts on these prototypes can be found in these threads:

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

Discussion 4

Discussion 5

Discussion 6

Discussion 7

Discussion 8

Discussion 9

Discussion 10

Discussion 11

Discussion 12

Discussion 13

Discussion 14

Discussion 15

Thread 16 - you're in it!

UPDATES:

SpaceX BFS : Phase 2 - Starship Orbital Prototype(s) - Photos and Updates -3 (Previous)

SpaceX Boca Chica - Production Updates - MASTER Thread (4) (New/Current)

Starship SN9 Test Launch - UPDATES (New/Current).

---

Follow NSF Twitter:
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight

---

NSF Youtube Channel with hundreds of original Starship videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSUu1lih2RifWkKtDOJdsBA

Supporting NSF and the team

Members of Red Team or higher get early clips pre-edit and more. Capcom and higher get access to our team Discord.

Subscribe and hit notifications for instant alerts of new videos as that'll be the first you'll see for a new video going live.

--

L2 Boca Chica (intense level updates - Master Thread from Day 1 to today)
Now with advanced clips from Mary's videos and unique content.

*Also now with standalone Starship L2 threads for SN8, 9 and 10*

---

Store, with Boca Chica merch:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/shop/

---

RULES

There are 10s of millions of views on these Starship threads, so remember when you post your post is being viewed by a lot of people. Make sure you're posting something interesting:

Stay on topic (don't wander, use new or other threads). This is ONLY about discussing the prototypes
Make sure your post is useful and adding something. Failure to do so will see your post removed.

This Starship Section has many millions of views, and threads with a lot of bandwidth/data (we're not text only like Reddit (who also make a ton of money), we have photos and files hosted on our servers here. If you can support this site, please do via L2. It's a very expensive place to host and only viable if we have enough L2 support).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Quite a long TFR until Feb 28th

Altitude: From the surface up to and including 1800 feet MSL

https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_0024.html

This is not a new TFR; it is a continuation of the usual low-level TFR that has been over the area for many months now.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 945
Can’t quote user Chopsticks because previous thread is locked, but yes, the new nosecones are shinier then the SN9,8,...iterations. SN8 always looked like a lead-tipped bullet with its dull nose. I actually grew to like the look. The new iterations of nose (starting with SN10 I believe) look to be more like the same type of stainless as the rest of the vehicle.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline V96

• Norway
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 283
Can’t quote user Chopsticks because previous thread is locked, but yes, the new nosecones are shinier then the SN9,8,...iterations. SN8 always looked like a lead-tipped bullet with its dull nose. I actually grew to like the look. The new iterations of nose (starting with SN10 I believe) look to be more like the same type of stainless as the rest of the vehicle.
Yes. SN10's nosecone is shiny apart from one piece which is still dull. Easy to spot which piece.

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950

Can't never could.   ;)

Back to the actual prototypes, there's been a little something I've been wondering. Maybe I'm seeing things, but do the latest nosecones look shinier or different? Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like a few months ago they were more of a matte grey and looked kind of dirty or maybe unpolished. Some of the latest nosecones showing up over the past couple of months though seem to have the same look that the rest of the rocket has. SN9 looks pretty uniform, but if you check back to July or so, the cones then didn't look as nice. Just an observation on my part that I don't remember seeing discussed.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2021 04:14 pm by AC in NC »

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1106
  • Likes Given: 170
SN9, if I err not, is the first SN to be completely 304 stainless. I don't know if this means the nosecone as well or if it's just the tank section. But I'm curious what changed. Do we know for sure what kind of steel is being used for the nosecones or are we assuming it's the same thing they use for the the tanks?

Also, it's interesting that if SN9 is 100% 304L (including the nosecone) and presumably SN10 is as well, why they look different. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it and all they did is do some polishing.

Offline JaimeZX

• Virginia
  • Liked: 168
  • Likes Given: 337
Remember, they knocked out a bunch of nose cones several months back. As long as they continue to fit the newer bases and there haven't been any major internal changes that obsolete the existing cones, it stands to reason that any *recent* lessons-learned in welding techniques or materials will be "behind" when comparing nose cones to rocket bodies.

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
Remember, they knocked out a bunch of nose cones several months back. As long as they continue to fit the newer bases and there haven't been any major internal changes that obsolete the existing cones, it stands to reason that any *recent* lessons-learned in welding techniques or materials will be "behind" when comparing nose cones to rocket bodies.

They scrapped most of those nosecones, though.

Offline Doom2pro

• New York
  • Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 38

Yes they did, per Elon "They were pointer than needed" or something to that effect.

Online danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
  • Liked: 409
  • Likes Given: 682

Yes they did, per Elon "They were pointer than needed" or something to that effect.

The current ones are equally pointy (shaped to minimize drag forces going up).  What was scrapped were presumably noses intended for the SNs lost in pressure tests, with the new shape (presumably made blunter for increased cargo volume) generally expected as part of the large set of changes due with SN15.

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
Re: SpaceX Starship : Texas Prototype(s) Thread 16 : Discussion
« Reply #10 on: 01/02/2021 06:25 pm »
actually a tanker of LN2 is only about $4000-$5000 if you order enough on contract
And.....just how many of those tanker trucks are needed to fill up SN9 *ONCE*?

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1106
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #11 on: 01/02/2021 06:33 pm »
From last tweet of RGV. Do you think this is new type of parts for future build of nosecones without horizontal sections? (edit: and less pointy ;) )

That's not the MK1 cone is it? It was shiny and kind of wrinkly looking as this one is. Also, is that a thrust in the upper part of the picture?

Edit: Yes, it definitely is a thrust puck - the updated version
« Last Edit: 01/02/2021 06:34 pm by chopsticks »

Offline V96

• Norway
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #12 on: 01/02/2021 06:35 pm »
From last tweet of RGV. Do you think this is new type of parts for future build of nosecones without horizontal sections? (edit: and less pointy ;) )

That's not the MK1 cone is it? It was shiny and kind of wrinkly looking as this one is. Also, is that a thrust in the upper part of the picture?

Yes that is Mk1's nosecone to the right of the bay.
And yes there's a starship thrust puck above the Mk1 nosecone. It's a new design.

Offline Syl35

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2021 07:08 pm »
Zoom on the part (s?) on the rack I was talking about.

Looks to be double curved
« Last Edit: 01/03/2021 07:29 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline awests

• Where the mountains meet the sea
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2021 07:44 pm »

Is this a section for a nose cone assembled out of vertical pieces?

Offline beelsebob

• CA
  • Liked: 353
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2021 08:27 pm »

Raceway to cover up the pipes and electronics running down the back of the ship?  They’ll need all of that tucked in before they gain significant speed on a launch.

On a different topic - those expecting an early test of SN9 - remember that at least for now, there’s nowhere for them to land it.  It’ll be a while.

Finally, with SN10 looking stacked and ready for roll out soon (just engines to mount?  Have they solved the issue with mounting SN9’s yet?), is the launch mount fixed yet?  I imagine SN9 ended up on the secondary mount because the primary was getting an upgrade instead of a patch up job from the concrete blasting incident.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2021 08:30 pm by beelsebob »

Offline winkhomewinkhome

• Eugene OR
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 3096
« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2021 09:21 pm »
Big dent has appeared above lox access hole.

Credit: Labpadre

Errr... is this bad?

I do not think it is "new" - combination of angle/lighting and typical "surface irregularities"
Dale R. Winke

Offline samgineer

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 312
« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2021 09:32 pm »

Is this a section for a nose cone assembled out of vertical pieces?

In combination with vertical robotic welder it really starts looking like that! I´m expecting see soon some new tooling and tall nose cone gantry from tent number 3, moved into low-bay (or similarly tall gantry crane).

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2021 09:36 pm »

Errr... is this bad?

I do not think it is "new" - combination of angle/lighting and typical "surface irregularities"
Compare to an earlier photo with close-to-identical lighting:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52514.msg2173841#msg2173841
It's new
« Last Edit: 01/02/2021 09:36 pm by Crispy »

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4416
  • Likes Given: 2707
« Reply #19 on: 01/02/2021 09:37 pm »

This happened several times to SN8 while it was on the pad in about the same location, and at about the same time of day (don't know if it was ever posted about here, but we freaked out about it in the LabPadre chat when we saw it appear for the first time).

It always popped back out after a few hours and never seemed to be a concern to the SpaceX workers on site.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2021 09:42 pm by StevenOBrien »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography