Author Topic: (2009 REV) Welcome to the new NSF forum  (Read 116476 times)

Online Herb Schaltegger

Re: Welcome to the new NSF forum
« Reply #360 on: 08/12/2009 02:31 pm »
Anyone else having problems posting from Safari 4.0.2 or higher on a Mac?  I get error messages lately whenever I try to post lately.  I just updated to 4.0.3 this morning and get the same issue.  Firefox is working fine, however.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline dcbecker

• Northern NJ
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
keyword searching nsf
« Reply #361 on: 08/29/2009 02:55 pm »
one of the posts started talking about TAN, and I tried to see if there were any posts defining it. so I did a search on "tan" and got a million posts with the words "standup", "standard", etc.

Is there any way, or is can the search tool be enhanced, to allow specifying search words to be applied to complete words, rather than just that string that happens to be embedded in another word?

and yes, I can add more keywords to try to narrow it down, but you still get lots of hits on embedded strings.
Dan

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4049
  • Likes Given: 2091
Re: keyword searching nsf
« Reply #362 on: 08/29/2009 03:04 pm »
one of the posts started talking about TAN, and I tried to see if there were any posts defining it. so I did a search on "tan" and got a million posts with the words "standup", "standard", etc.

Is there any way, or is can the search tool be enhanced, to allow specifying search words to be applied to complete words, rather than just that string that happens to be embedded in another word?

and yes, I can add more keywords to try to narrow it down, but you still get lots of hits on embedded strings.
One suggestion is to do a site-constrained search on Google.

Offline dcbecker

• Northern NJ
Re: keyword searching nsf
« Reply #363 on: 08/29/2009 03:08 pm »

One suggestion is to do a site-constrained search on Google.

good suggestion. i did find the answer. Thrust Augmented Nozzle with a good explanation of what it is.
Dan

Offline dcbecker

• Northern NJ
unread topics question
« Reply #364 on: 09/18/2009 02:23 pm »
I'm not sure how everyone else manages the volume of posts, but the way I've been doing it, is opening the unread topics, right clicking the "New" button for every topic that looks interesting to me and opening that topic in a new tab, and after I've gone that for all the topics I want to read, then clicking on the "All messages read" button to clear the "unread topics" list.

Then I can work thru all the tabs.

That works pretty well, except that when I refresh the "unread topics" page after opening all the tabs, and before I hit the "all messages read" button, additional (old) items appear on the unread topics list that werent there the first time I visited the page. those are supposed to appear in chronological order, so its not clear to me why a refresh would cause additional old topics to appear. its not that someone just posted it. and I generally go thru the unread topics from oldest to newest, so that it shouldnt cause a reshuffling of topics to cause older topics to show up on the newer pages. (kinda hard to explain - would be easier to show someone.)

anyone else do this kind of thing, and anyone else see this behavior? would be easier if I didnt have to refresh the pages, and I only had to go thru the unread topic list once.
Dan

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography