Author Topic: 2011 RAC RP vehicle design parameters  (Read 2263 times)

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
2011 RAC RP vehicle design parameters
« on: 02/16/2017 03:42 pm »
This is rather dragging up old history, but can anyone point me to or summarize the assumptions that went into the old RAC studies of kerolox vehicles?

From what I can find, they ended up with vehicles larger than Saturn V, despite lower payload targets and having better engines. Some concepts are on page 10 of the attached PDF.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Re: 2011 RAC RP vehicle design parameters
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/2017 05:23 pm »
This is rather dragging up old history, but can anyone point me to or summarize the assumptions that went into the old RAC studies of kerolox vehicles?

From what I can find, they ended up with vehicles larger than Saturn V, despite lower payload targets and having better engines. Some concepts are on page 10 of the attached PDF.

I would be curious too, because it seems like a lot of fingers were on the scale to ensure Shuttle evolved components.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/2017 06:04 pm »
One weird thing about the RAC studies was that they were done after the 2010 Authorization Act had already defined SLS as a RAC-1-style vehicle.  So, in a sense, fingers on the scale were a legal requirement.

Offline quanthasaquality

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: 03/13/2017 03:46 am »

I would be curious too, because it seems like a lot of fingers were on the scale to ensure Shuttle evolved components.

We could have had the concept 2, option 2, with 5 segment srbs. We'd have an ar-1 factory, and a srb factory, to produce: a smaller, srb based rocket, an ar-1 atlas 5, and the kerolox SLS. Hell, they could have taken the time to develop an engine more compatible with the rd-180. But, Bill Nelson didn't see the Ukraine conflict coming.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography