Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646220 times)

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
Launch is now Nov 1st

Monday launch at 4:33 pm EDT.

Orbiter
« Last Edit: 07/01/2010 04:09 pm by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Launch is now Nov 1st

Monday launch at 4:33 pm EDT.

You'll find the most detailed launch info in the actual STS-133 launch processing thread.

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
man, the all-nighter halloween party in space view park in titusville is going to be EPIC!!  ;D

Offline scotty125

• Museum Docent/Leicester City Fan
  • Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 16
Not to mention the air show over Cocoa Beach...the Thunderbirds are flying that weekend. :) Should be fun...booked my hotel today...I'll be there until the 8th, so hopefully the launch doesn't slip to far.  Anyone know when the next Beta cutout kicks in?
"He who will not, when he may, when he should, he shall have nay."
TV Commercial - Gulf Oil during Apollo Landings

Offline GoForTLI

• Taking LIMITS to INHIBIT since 1964
  • Houston, TX
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 9
Anyone know when the next Beta cutout kicks in?

According to a recent article by Chris Gebhart:
(The) Beta Angle Cutout calculations in early November will have to be  reassessed for the new mission duration.

“MO organization needs to ‘tune’ the beta cutout date in November  2010 to the 133 planned duration,” notes the presentation.

The current Beta cutout begins on November 7 but is based on the  STS-134 12-day mission plan.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2010 10:44 am by GoForTLI »
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Anyone know when the next Beta cutout kicks in?

According to a recent article by Chris Gebhart:
(The) Beta Angle Cutout calculations in early November will have to be  reassessed for the new mission duration.

“MO organization needs to ‘tune’ the beta cutout date in November  2010 to the 133 planned duration,” notes the presentation.

The current Beta cutout begins on November 7 but is based on the  STS-134 12-day mission plan.
'

Beta Angle begins on November 8 and ends on November 23. Next Beta Angle is January 1 through February 1.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2010 02:35 am by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320

Beta Angle begins on November 8 and ends on November 23. Next Beta Angle is January 1 through February 1.

So the last day that they can launch is November 7 ? or is it Nov 8 ??

For planning my return trip it will help :) Thanks
Jacques :-)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
Everything I have heard is saying the 7th is the last day

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
You might check the processing thread, this is the viewing thread which doesn't depend on beta cutouts.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

Unknown at this point. Beta calculations are interesting things. They are calculated as well as possible down to the hour that the beta angle will exceed allowable thermal levels on orbit. Since you're talking about the end of the docked mission... a beta angle evaluation could say you can't launch on a particular calendar day (let's say November 8 ); however, a more sound and detailed engineering/thermal evaluation can in fact clear you for launch on the first day the Beta Angle cutout begins.

Basically it will come down to the launch time on November 8 -- which in turn drives the undock time at the end of the docked mission. Then, the engineers/thermal analysts would have to see how many hours over the beta exceedance an undocking would be. Then, if we're just a couple hours over the beta exceedance and thermal conditioning or thermal attitude control can be safely implemented you could conceivably get a "go" to launch on November 8 -- even though the Beta Angle Cutout is telling you that you can't launch on November 8.

I know that's complicated so let me know if I need to clarify.

Also copying this over to the main 133 thread.
« Last Edit: 07/31/2010 12:03 am by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline spacedog71

• Likes Given: 3
they've revised the ticket purchase system. again.

http://web.venue365.com/ksc/index.jsp?ic_campID=4&ic_pkw=GH_STS133_Tickets_Aug10

...well, it'll cut down on day-of-sale server crashes, but i have to wonder how many people will ask everyone they know to register, just to leverage the odds. (note to self: ask everyone i know to register, just to leverage the odds.)  ::)

and i wonder what this will do to gator and the other bus packages re: tour package availability. it sounds as though the random selection factor will eliminate the ability to get to the causeway tickets first through KSCVC; in other words, one might get selected, but not be given a purchasing opportunity soon enough for anything but hall of fame tickets to remain on sale.

...if i knew that i only had a chance of maybe getting a random shot at a causeway ticket before september 17th for $75, maybe, but that causeway bus tickets were definitely going on sale on september 18th for anyone who forked over $115... the certainty factor alone would be worth the surcharge.

hmmmm...

Offline keliezimmer

• Likes Given: 0
***********************NEW KSC TICKET PURCHASING PROCEDURE*********************

ksclaunchtickets.com

It's the final launch of Space Shuttle Discovery. And your chance to see it.
Witness the final launch of STS-133 space shuttle Discovery at Kennedy Space Center, currently targeted for Monday, November 1, 2010 at 4:40 pm EDT.

Launch dates, times, and Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex operational schedules are subject to change. It is your responsibility to keep up with the date and time of the space shuttle launch. Click here for the official space shuttle launch schedule.

Due to the expected retirement of the space shuttle program in 2011, an increased interest in space shuttle launches has created a higher demand for launch viewing tickets than ever before. We have implemented a new launch ticket opportunity purchasing process. It will ensure everyone who registers will get a fair shot at the limited number of tickets available for these viewing locations:

•NASA Causeway: Admission ticket* to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and a Launch Transportation Ticket to view the launch from the NASA Causeway. $59 adult/$49 child (ages 3-11) plus tax.
•Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex: Admission ticket* to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex with launch viewing from the main Visitor Complex grounds. Special launch day activities. $41 adult/$31 child (ages 3-11) plus tax.
•U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame®: Admission ticket to the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame with launch viewing from the Hall of Fame grounds. Special launch day activities. $20 adult/$16 child (ages 3-11) plus tax.
* The Admission ticket to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex includes a second day free if used within seven consecutive days. Hours of operation are limited on launch days, so we encourage you to visit on a day before or after the launch to enjoy everything that is included with your admission.

Introducing a New Launch Ticket Purchasing Opportunity Process
If you've purchased launch viewing tickets for previous launches, you'll notice that a few changes have been made. This new process ensures a fair opportunity for those that are interested in purchasing launch viewing tickets. One of the most prominent changes is the one-week period to register for the opportunity to purchase tickets. When the registration period ends, registrants will be selected at random for the opportunity to purchase tickets at a later date. Not everyone who registers will be selected to purchase tickets.

Here's How it Works:

1.Registration Period: Register online or by calling 1-800-936-0506 (U.S.) or 1-312-429-0505 (International) beginning August 16, 2010 at 9:00 a.m. EST through August 23, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. EST. You may prefer online registration, as it is faster and easier. This one-week registration period is the only time to register for the opportunity to purchase viewing tickets for the launch of STS-133 space shuttle Discovery from a launch viewing location listed above.
You must provide a valid email address during registration in order to be notified of your eligibility. If selected for the opportunity, you must have access to purchase tickets online. Tickets will not be available for purchase over the telephone.

Please note: Duplicate entries, including name, address and email, will be removed. Only one registration per household will be accepted. If selected, you must purchase tickets with the same name and address that you used to register for the opportunity. No changes of address or name are permitted.

2.Random Drawing: Registration closes on August 23, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. EST and a random drawing will be conducted to determine who will be offered the opportunity to purchase launch viewing tickets. You are not guaranteed tickets for any particular viewing location.
Between August 26 and September 17, you will be notified by email of the status of your registration. If selected, the email will include information on how to purchase tickets. Those that are not selected will also be notified by email.

3.Opportunity to Purchase Tickets: For those selected for an opportunity to purchase launch viewing tickets, your notification email will include the on-sale date and time for when you can purchase tickets. The purchasing opportunity will last for two days. The email will also include a website link and single use log-in ID and password, which must be used to purchase tickets. Those selected will have ample time and opportunity during this period to purchase tickets, however, we recommend purchasing early to help ensure the best opportunity for the viewing site you prefer. Tickets will be available on a first-come basis. If you do not purchase tickets during this two-day period, your opportunity will be forfeited and you will not be able to purchase tickets for STS-133 at another time. There is a limit of six (6) total tickets per transaction (only one transaction per household).
Please note: All tickets will be shipped to the billing address where your credit card statement is received. Also, you must purchase tickets with the same name and address that you used to register for the opportunity. No changes of address or name are permitted.

Thank you for your interest in witnessing the launch of space shuttle Discovery!
« Last Edit: 08/12/2010 07:51 pm by keliezimmer »

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI

Offline Commander Keen

• Liked: 1
Today's weather was a little threatening ;)

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1008/06funnel/

Yikes!  I did the KSC tour thing back on 7/30 and it was dry most of the time we were there.  It would have been cool to see.  Did you take the picture?  Great shot!

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
Today's weather was a little threatening ;)

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1008/06funnel/

Yikes!  I did the KSC tour thing back on 7/30 and it was dry most of the time we were there.  It would have been cool to see.  Did you take the picture?  Great shot!

According to the SFN article, the pictures were taken by Stephen Clark, an employee of SFN.com

Offline smith5se

Well it's that time again: NASA Announces Tweetup for STS 133 (and I'm sure a JSC tweetup announcement will follow this one at some point... it usually does)

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/tweetup/tweetup_10-31-2010.html

On the plus side, for those that can stand Twitter and will try and sign up, registration is from noon August 24th to noon August 25th which is early enough for those selected to know they don't have to buy KVC tickets! (wouldn't that be a nice thought!)
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
Anyone know when the Gator/Dolphin tickets go on sale as a Causeway backup plan??
Launches - STS-115, STS-117, STS-123, STS-125, STS-132, STS-135, WGS3, Kepler, MSL
Endeavour Flyout From SLF
Scrubs - STS-122, STS-133

Offline scotty125

• Portland, Oregon
Well it's that time again: NASA Announces Tweetup for STS 133 (and I'm sure a JSC tweetup announcement will follow this one at some point... it usually does)

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/tweetup/tweetup_10-31-2010.html

On the plus side, for those that can stand Twitter and will try and sign up, registration is from noon August 24th to noon August 25th which is early enough for those selected to know they don't have to buy KVC tickets! (wouldn't that be a nice thought!)

Thanks for the heads up...I'll try just about anything for a shot at a good vantage point, even if it means twittering or tweeting or whatever...I've got requests in for congressional passes, I'll be registering for KSCVC tickets tomorrow, and might have another iron or 2 in the fire, we'll have to see.  Gotta keep your options open...besides, it sounds like the tour would be pretty cool...Gee, it would really suck to score on a couple of fronts, wouldn't it? :) Anybody know where I could get rid of any extras? ;)

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
Beware that NASA probably does look at your Twitter account when you sign up - and if you don't meet the "requirement" (whatever they look at), you probably won't get in under the Twitter event.  This isn't directed at you, Scotty, but for everyone who'll be trying to get in under the Tweetup.  Just a heads up.  :)

Offline scotty125

• Portland, Oregon
I suspect you're right on the money with that, Ford.  I went on a spree and subscribed to (followed?) every conceivable Nasa feed I could get my hands on.  Hell, it's worth a shot...I'm pretty much resigned to having to fight it out for Gator tickets or pay through the nose on e-bay.  I really don't want to spend all day Monday in the park in Titusville...will if I have to though...

I suspect there will be a pretty heavy NSF contingent in attendance for this one.  I know it's way early yet, (T-11 weeks and counting) but I'm hoping Chris G will host his traditional launch event again.  If so, I'm in for sure!  I've heard nothing but good things about it. :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography