Author Topic: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 13, 2014  (Read 80991 times)

Offline SaxtonHale

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 143
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 11, 2014
« Reply #20 on: 04/17/2014 05:09 pm »
Dangit, SpaceX. That is going to make for a tiring drive...
I was hoping to bring some people out with me but I don't think they're crazy enough to see a 2:30 launch

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #21 on: 04/17/2014 06:06 pm »
http://ssep.ncesse.org/2014/04/april-17-2014-flight-ops-update-the-flight-of-charlie-brown-on-orb-2-the-ssep-mission-5-experiments-payload/

Current Status: the Orb-2 launch has not yet been moved ahead of SpaceX-3. NASA has rescheduled the launch of SpaceX-3 for Friday, April 18, at 3:25 pm EDT. NASA is also holding open a second window for a launch attempt on Saturday, April 19, at 3:02 pm EDT. If SpaceX-3, for whatever reason, does not launch by Saturday, we are assuming that Orb-2 will be given the go to launch on May 6. If SpaceX-3 does launch by Saturday, the Orb-2 launch, and the flight of the SSEP Charlie Brown payload will be delayed until mid-June. The space drama …. continues. Stay tuned.

Anything On "Made in Space" has it been pulled or its status? 

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33141.msg1179409#msg1179409
https://twitter.com/_madeinspace    http://www.madeinspace.us/
« Last Edit: 04/17/2014 06:11 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

A note - if the launch of Cygnus slips to June 10, the launch time would be in the middle of the night, around 2:20 am EDT (06:20 UTC) for that day.  ::)

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html reports a launch time of 06:07:07 UTC (2:07:07 am EDT) on June 10.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

I have seen reports that Aerojet has been unable to acquire the start cartridges for the AJ-26s for the next few Antares due to Russia sanctions. Can anyone verify this?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #24 on: 04/26/2014 04:04 am »
Where are those reports that you've seen?  Links?  I believe it.  I'd just like to read them.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #25 on: 04/26/2014 04:40 am »
I have seen reports that Aerojet has been unable to acquire the start cartridges for the AJ-26s for the next few Antares due to Russia sanctions. Can anyone verify this?

googling didn't turn up any rumors for me... but I did find this: http://www.lpre.de/resources/articles/AIAA-1998-3361.pdf

it's an extremely detailed description of the NK-33 and the things Aerojet has done to turn it into the AJ-26. there's a lot of discussion of the way various parts of the original NK-33 were started, and how things now work.

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #26 on: 04/26/2014 05:10 am »

googling didn't turn up any rumors for me... but I did find this: http://www.lpre.de/resources/articles/AIAA-1998-3361.pdf

it's an extremely detailed description of the NK-33 and the things Aerojet has done to turn it into the AJ-26. there's a lot of discussion of the way various parts of the original NK-33 were started, and how things now work.

page 15 describes the changes that were made, and contains this:

Component: Start cartridge and MCC igniter solid propellant
Modification: Replace with U.S. ordnance
Modification Rationale: Russian availability

Where are those reports that you've seen?  Links?  I believe it.  I'd just like to read them.

Here of all forums in the world (IIRC that member's father work with Aerojet @ Sacramento)

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #28 on: 04/26/2014 06:26 pm »

Here of all forums in the world (IIRC that member's father work with Aerojet @ Sacramento)

he just says "supply issue" it could be an entirely domestic matter.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #29 on: 04/26/2014 10:33 pm »

he just says "supply issue" it could be an entirely domestic matter.

not worth the time

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #30 on: 05/02/2014 03:02 pm »
May 2, 2014

NASA Extends Media Accreditation for Next Orbital Sciences Cargo Resupply Mission to International Space Station

Media accreditation has been extended for the launch of the second NASA contracted cargo resupply flight to the International Space Station from Virginia.

Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., will launch the Orbital-2 cargo resupply mission at 2:07 a.m. EDT Tuesday, June 10 from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport's Pad 0A at the NASA Wallops Flight Facility. NASA Television coverage begins at 1:15 a.m.

With a launch on June 10, Orbital's Cygnus cargo spacecraft will arrive at the space station on June 13. Cygnus will remain at the orbiting laboratory until July 11.

This will be the second of eight planned cargo missions by Orbital Sciences for NASA under the agency's $1.9 billion Commercial Resupply Services contract with the company. Cargo resupply from U.S. companies ensures a national capability to deliver critical science research to the space station, significantly increasing NASA's ability to conduct new science investigations to the only laboratory in microgravity.

International media without U.S. citizenship must apply by May 12 for credentials to cover the prelaunch and launch activities at Wallops. The application deadline is June 4 for media who are U.S. citizens. Journalists should send their accreditation request to Keith Koehler at [email protected].

For questions about accreditation or additional information, contact Keith Koehler by email or at 757-824-1579.

For information about Orbital, and its Antares rocket and Cygnus spacecraft, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/orbital
 and
http://www.orbital.com/antares-cygnus

For more information about the International Space Station and Commercial Resupply Services, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/station
« Last Edit: 05/02/2014 03:02 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #31 on: 05/05/2014 01:40 am »
http://ssep.ncesse.org/2014/04/april-17-2014-flight-ops-update-the-flight-of-charlie-brown-on-orb-2-the-ssep-mission-5-experiments-payload/

Current Status: the Orb-2 launch has not yet been moved ahead of SpaceX-3. NASA has rescheduled the launch of SpaceX-3 for Friday, April 18, at 3:25 pm EDT. NASA is also holding open a second window for a launch attempt on Saturday, April 19, at 3:02 pm EDT. If SpaceX-3, for whatever reason, does not launch by Saturday, we are assuming that Orb-2 will be given the go to launch on May 6. If SpaceX-3 does launch by Saturday, the Orb-2 launch, and the flight of the SSEP Charlie Brown payload will be delayed until mid-June. The space drama …. continues. Stay tuned.

Anything On "Made in Space" has it been pulled or its status? 

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33141.msg1179409#msg1179409
https://twitter.com/_madeinspace    http://www.madeinspace.us/

Just found out Made in Space got bumped from ORB-2 and is now going on Spx-4   Anyone have any details on why this got bumped?   Problems from the Payload end or other.....any info appreciated.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #32 on: 05/05/2014 04:43 pm »
Any talk of delaying ORB-CRS-2 because of the delay in extracting the OPALS experiment from SpX-CRS-3's trunk? Unless there is any time-critical sensitive cargo, I suppose they can just leave the Cygnus in a parking orbit until the Dragon clears Harmony Nadir.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline pericynthion

• GNC / Comms Engineer
  • Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #33 on: 05/05/2014 05:18 pm »
Any talk of delaying ORB-CRS-2 because of the delay in extracting the OPALS experiment from SpX-CRS-3's trunk? Unless there is any time-critical sensitive cargo, I suppose they can just leave the Cygnus in a parking orbit until the Dragon clears Harmony Nadir.

ORB-2 was already delayed to June 10th, so I expect Dragon will be bobbing in the ocean before then.

Offline LastOf7

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #34 on: 05/05/2014 10:19 pm »
Is there somewhere online that shows the full cargo for this flight?

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #35 on: 05/06/2014 10:56 pm »
Is there somewhere online that shows the full cargo for this flight?

Orbital put out a press kit for Orb-1 that had a cargo manifest in it. Once we get closer to launch we should see one from either NASA or Orbital.

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: 05/23/2014 06:31 am »
I was wondering if anyone knows where a bigger image of the mission patch for CRS ORB-2 might be. The only one I can find is on the Orbital Sciences webpage and it is very tiny.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #37 on: 05/23/2014 07:19 am »
Does anyone believe the June 10 date can still happen given the engine explosion at Stennis?  If not, what are your guesses about the best and worst case delays to ORB-2?

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 619
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #38 on: 05/23/2014 08:33 am »
Given how close it is to June 10 I'm guessing that the engine that RUDed was intended for a later Antares, not this flight. So if they determine the cause quickly and clear CRS-2's engine of the same defect they may not have to delay at all.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #39 on: 05/23/2014 08:52 am »
Given how close it is to June 10 I'm guessing that the engine that RUDed was intended for a later Antares, not this flight. So if they determine the cause quickly and clear CRS-2's engine of the same defect they may not have to delay at all.

18 days to discover the root cause from shattered pieces of an engine and be convinced there's no chance they got it wrong, plus do whatever inspections are necessary to clear the CRS-2 engine and approve it for flight?  That seems awfully optimistic.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography