Author Topic: New NSF Launch Calendar Options  (Read 18277 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: New NSF Launch Calendar Options
« Reply #20 on: 09/26/2017 07:00 pm »
With an underlying queryable database. Not just a forum post.

(as I told someone offline "never ask an architect for requirements" ... unless you want pie in the sky)

Seems straight forward enough.

If linking to related articles, all the needed data could be embedded in the articles in question.
If it's in the articles in question, it's not queryable from a database/calendar/list-ish sort of view.

to gongora's point, this really is pie in the sky for a volunteer effort, this data is not all there, and in many cases needs someone that wanted to go find it.

Maybe it's overreaching to want a queryable database that is "better" or more comprehensive than all the other assets out there.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #21 on: 09/26/2017 08:55 pm »
One decision that would need to be made is whether you actually want it shown on a calendar or show it as a list (or both).  The calendar can be nice for near-term launches but quickly becomes unwieldy as you go farther out (you wind up with 10 launches listed next April 1 for all the "April 2018" and "Q2 2018" launches.

If the goal is to maximize information, and not whitespace, then go with a list. Calendar days with no activity add nothing, and for those rare days when two things are happening (or even three) then either all days on that line need to expand, or the information in that day block has to be compressed - lots of compromises.

A list would allow for enough information to be provides without creating cascading formatting issues. Could even be put into an HTML Table.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #22 on: 09/26/2017 09:15 pm »
Just my 2 cents worth: Launch library listings seems to be accurate and well maintained. Why don't we consider using it as the main source?

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #23 on: 09/26/2017 09:36 pm »
Just my 2 cents worth: Launch library listings seems to be accurate and well maintained. Why don't we consider using it as the main source?

It will be the source only to be managed in another way :)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #24 on: 09/26/2017 09:42 pm »

Is this what you're talking about: https://launchlibrary.net/?  If so, the information is a bit outdated compared to our manifests.  I guess we could always partner with another group and help them keep their schedule up to date if we wanted to go that route.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #25 on: 09/26/2017 10:10 pm »
Would the possibly of using Launch Library... which is probably run by some of the the members here be useful for the database or you feel your archive is probably more accurate?

It will be the source only to be managed in another way :)

This is True... Chris B Does Drop L2 Launch Dates right off the press lol

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #26 on: 12/21/2017 02:40 pm »
When we get around to doing this it would be nice if we could somehow have better integration of the calendar info and mission threads, either having the calendar info easily editable from the top post of a mission thread or having mission thread titles automatically generated when the calendar is updated.  That way a certain forgetful mod wouldn't have to remember to go update the calendar after updating the date in a thread title.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #27 on: 03/14/2018 02:41 am »
Another nice-to-have feature on a new launch calendar would be the ability to mark information that is only in L2 and have it show up only for L2 members.  The L2 info is a very small percentage of the manifest information at any particular time and eventually expires (becomes public), but it still would be nice to have it all in one place.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2018 03:08 am by gongora »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography