Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - September, 2013 - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 507433 times)

Offline aero

• Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 360
I've read every post on this thread, as they were posted. Unfortunately that has been over a five month interval so I don't remember if this question has been answered.

Is there a launch window, time of day, for this launch or will it just launch when the countdown reaches zero. What time of day do we expect the launch to occur? (Enquiring minds want to know.)
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
I've read every post on this thread, as they were posted. Unfortunately that has been over a five month interval so I don't remember if this question has been answered.

Is there a launch window, time of day, for this launch or will it just launch when the countdown reaches zero. What time of day do we expect the launch to occur? (Enquiring minds want to know.)
From the US Launch Schedule:
NET September 5 - CASSIOPE, POPACS (x3), CUSat 1&2, DANDE, SNAPS - Falcon 9 v1.1 - Vandenberg SLC-4E - 16:00-18:00

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
Surely you have a super duper telephoto lens and can share pictures?  ;D
I'm sure walking around Vandenberg with a super duper telephoto is frowned upon.

Walking around ANY military base with a telephoto lens is not just frowned upon, it will almost certainly result in a visit from on base security forces.

All outside photography has to be coordinated and approved by PA and security forces on AF bases.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
If you decide to take your telepjoto, please also wear a Che t-shirt and speak in Mandarin. Tha sure will bring you the MP company fast. :P

Offline hartspace

• Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 149
If the erector really is back in the hangar then they must be ready to load the F9 on to it.

Of course, the erector could simply be down, on the pad.
In my earlier post, I assumed that, since I couldn't see it, the erector was in the hanger and not simply down.  My bad.  Apologies for any confusion.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
By when would SpX have to notify the range in the event they don't want Sep 5?

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
T- 2 weeks until launch. I am really excited for this launch I do believe it will usher in a really competitive space industry in America and the world.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317

Yesterday afternoon, the erector was upright at SLC-4E.  From north VAFB, it was a little hard to tell, but it looked like the erector only, no rocket.  This afternoon, the erector was down, and, I assume, back in the hanger.

That's interesting. I don't think the erector and an F9 can fit into the hangar together. If the erector really is back in the hangar then they must be ready to load the F9 on to it.

Isn't the hangar specifically for F9 mating to the erector? Your second sentence seems to contradict your first sentence. ;)

The vehicle has to suspended and the erector moved under it for both to be in the hangar. 

interesting....does that mean FH would be assembled, suspended and then attached to the erector as well?  or do 3 separate cranes hold the core/boosters and then assembly happens on the erector?  Either way, id love to see pics of that
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Either way, id love to see pics of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHUg3QxiTGg&t=13

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
As there is only 2 cranes in the VFAB hanger they will have to use some type of lifting rig. So yes the FH will have to be assembled first then suspended and lowered.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51

I have seen a patch come out from the Canadian Space Agency for CASSIOPE, but I am curious whether or not SpaceX was designing a patch for this mission.

I know with the CRS missions their are two sets of patches not sure if these commercial missions are the same way.

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
As there is only 2 cranes in the VFAB hanger they will have to use some type of lifting rig. So yes the FH will have to be assembled first then suspended and lowered.

Which is what is done with Proton as well, for example. But of course FH is larger and more powerful.
Douglas Clark

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
Everyone over at SpaceX, how about some in hangar pics for this flight? I wonder if the lack of pics has to do with USAF restrictions on base? Will SpaceX even have launch coverage for this flight?
« Last Edit: 08/22/2013 08:53 pm by mr. mark »

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
Of course they will have launch coverage. The lack of pictures and updates is probably more due to SpaceX being busy finishing the pad/equipment, rather than than USAF restrictions.

Offline Occupymars

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 58
Is it possible that they could assemble falcon heavy on the erector itself? For instance a fully assembled falcon 9 on the erector just outside of the hanger while it is there a booster core is brought into the hanger and lifted up by the hanger cranes. Then the erector is rolled back into the hanger. At this point the booster is lowered down and mated to the main core. Rinse and repeat for the other core.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2013 11:56 pm by Occupymars »
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nickolai

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
Is it possible that they could assemble falcon heavy on the erector itself? For instance a fully assembled falcon 9 on the erector just outside of the hanger while it is there a booster core is brought into the hanger and lifted up by the hanger cranes. Then the erector is rolled back into the hanger. At this point the booster is lowered down and mated to the main core. Rinse and repeat for the other core.

Answering your question on the general FH thread: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29214.330

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Everyone over at SpaceX, how about some in hangar pics for this flight?
Probably the best way I can think of for anyone other than the SpaceX POA to lose one's job.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
A little over a month away from proposed launch date. We should be hearing an update soon on integration of the launch vehicle and the overall pad condition.

If the date isn't announced by the AF then I don't take it seriously.
After looking for a Launch Schedule on the Vandy ( ;) ) website, I found out that;
"Information on upcoming Vandenberg launches is available by calling the Straight Talk Line at 805-606-VAND (8263).  Launch day and time is released three to five days in advance and is available on the hotline during that timeframe.   Beyond that, only the month and year of the next planned launch will be posted."
I called the number & it just says that "Base operations are currently normal." I assume that if the launch date is still on the 5th the message will change on Sep 1, 2 or 3.
I tried the Vandy line again today & still nothing but the "Base operations are currently normal" message.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
A little over a month away from proposed launch date. We should be hearing an update soon on integration of the launch vehicle and the overall pad condition.

If the date isn't announced by the AF then I don't take it seriously.
After looking for a Launch Schedule on the Vandy ( ;) ) website, I found out that;
"Information on upcoming Vandenberg launches is available by calling the Straight Talk Line at 805-606-VAND (8263).  Launch day and time is released three to five days in advance and is available on the hotline during that timeframe.   Beyond that, only the month and year of the next planned launch will be posted."
I called the number & it just says that "Base operations are currently normal." I assume that if the launch date is still on the 5th the message will change on Sep 1, 2 or 3.
I tried the Vandy line again today & still nothing but the "Base operations are currently normal" message.

As Antares has pointed out upthread, there are several interim milestones that need to be accomplished before launch, and the accomplishment of those milestones will be a better indicator of likely launch date.

WDR will be a key milestone, obviously, and when that happens I expect we'll hear about it and get a better read on where they are schedule-wise.

Edit: out of interest, I went back and looked at all previous F9 launches and the time in days from WDR to launch. The shortest interval occurred on CRS-1, where the WDR occurred at L-38 days.

CRS-2 might have had a shorter interval, but I couldn't find any reference to a WDR for that launch. The hot fire was done at L-5.

Obviously previous F9 launches had different constraints and schedule considerations. Will be interesting to see how soon they can turn around a WDR/hot fire/launch this time around given a largely redesigned vehicle, new payload, new pad, new erector, etc.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2013 11:22 pm by Kabloona »

Offline StephenB

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 201
From twitter, Molly McCormick ‏@Molliway:
Holy moly, we have an appointment with Space in like, 2 weeks. No countdown clock upstairs, doesn't feel real.

:)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography