Author Topic: Blue Origin fleet  (Read 162048 times)

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
Re: Blue Origin fleet
« Reply #20 on: 09/27/2018 02:36 am »
It's a full shipyard, they can do just about any modification. Bigger question to me is if there is anything in the Jones Act that Blue has to think about. Don't know nearly enough about that one though.

The US built requirement of the Jones Act limits transport of cargo between US ports. Catching a rocket in international waters and then bringing it to a US port would seem to be excluded.

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul Turkey and Santa Fe TEXAS USA
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 2095
« Reply #21 on: 09/27/2018 06:35 am »
Not unpossible. Biggest argument against it is that Blue is supposed to already have their ship in dock, getting converted.

What do you think it is doing in a one of these 3 cells?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38°28'36.2%22N+8°47'20.1%22W/
@38.4767096,-8.7892422,412m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d38.4767139!4d-8.7889111

I wonder the same thing as I land on RW 5 at LTBA all the time.  or bike by it :) greetings from Yeslikoy :)

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #22 on: 09/28/2018 12:05 am »
It's a full shipyard, they can do just about any modification. Bigger question to me is if there is anything in the Jones Act that Blue has to think about. Don't know nearly enough about that one though.

The US built requirement of the Jones Act limits transport of cargo between US ports. Catching a rocket in international waters and then bringing it to a US port would seem to be excluded.

Does that count for out-and-back from the same port though, like Sea Launch did?

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #23 on: 10/07/2018 08:59 pm »
If anyone is from Lisbon, Portugal area, Stena Freighter is currently on the west side of the A2 highway suspension bridge. Would be interesting to see if there were any modifications done.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2018 09:00 pm by ncb1397 »

Offline TGMetsFan98

« Reply #24 on: 10/10/2018 06:12 pm »
Cross post:

Smith confirms Stena Freighter is the New Glenn recovery ship!

https://twitter.com/b0yle/status/1050076402660204544
It’s a beautiful day to go to space.

Offline Aurora

• USA
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #25 on: 10/10/2018 06:49 pm »
According to Marine Traffic website - the ship is heading to Pensacola Port, FL (not Cape Canaveral Port, FL) to arrive on 18 October at 02:00 in the morning.

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: 10/10/2018 06:59 pm »
hope it is able to dock in Pensacola. May need to be rerouted - maybe to Florida 'east coast', as noted above.

Offline Chasm

• Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: 10/11/2018 10:02 am »
Interesting development.
With the Air Force development money and the addition of a second launch pad the type of ship makes even more sense.

Seems to me like they'll transport the rocket below and then land it on top.
I guess the remaining question for now is if there is a second ship that they bought earlier or if it was always this one.
Oh, and of course if Blue has an option to buy the sister ship which AFAIK sold to a company in Mexico.

Offline b0objunior

• Liked: 162
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #28 on: 10/11/2018 10:13 am »
Interesting development.
With the Air Force development money and the addition of a second launch pad the type of ship makes even more sense.

I guess the remaining question for now is if there is a second ship that they bought earlier or if it was always this one.
Oh, and of course if Blue has an option to buy the sister ship which AFAIK sold to a company in Mexico.
The thing is, it would take the best part of two weeks to get from florida to vanderberg. That's pretty prohibitive when you want to launch on the east coast and the west coast in short order.

Offline ncb1397

« Reply #29 on: 10/11/2018 10:17 am »
Interesting development.

The thing is, it would take the best part of two weeks to get from florida to vanderberg. That's pretty prohibitive when you want to launch on the east coast and the west coast in short order.

1.)I don't think New Glenn fits in the cargo bay without some major modifications
2.)A launch every 2 weeks is 26 launches a year, which is 52 geostationary satellites per year.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2018 10:19 am by ncb1397 »

Offline b0objunior

« Reply #30 on: 10/11/2018 10:24 am »
Interesting development.

1.)I don't think New Glenn fits in the cargo bay without some major modifications
2.)A launch every 2 weeks is 26 launches a year, which is 52 geostationary satellites per year.
Two weeks is one way.

Offline ncb1397

« Reply #31 on: 10/11/2018 10:35 am »
Interesting development.

Two weeks is one way.

1.)launch on the east coast
2.)drop of the stage (couple days)
3.)east coast to west coast (2 weeks)
4.)launch on the west coast.

So, even if you were going back and forth every single launch, it would still be around 2 dozen launches per year. That would be the worst case scenario though.

Offline b0objunior

« Reply #32 on: 10/11/2018 10:47 am »
Interesting development.

Two weeks is one way.

So, even if you were going back and forth every single launch, it would still be around 2 dozen launches per year. That would be the worst case scenario though.
Yeah, and helping Blue Origin's case is that west coast launches are more scarce than west coast ones.

Offline Zond

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: 10/11/2018 07:32 pm »
According to Marine Traffic website - the ship is heading to Pensacola Port, FL (not Cape Canaveral Port, FL) to arrive on 18 October at 02:00 in the morning.
Anybody got an idea why the ship would be going to Pensacola? I didn't find a big shipyard nearby where they could convert the ship and it is also not in the vicinity of existing Blue Origin facilities.

Offline Aurora

• USA
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #34 on: 10/11/2018 07:43 pm »
Interesting development.

Two weeks is one way.

Tremendous cost of fuel to travel back and forth between the eastern and western ranges (and expense for trans-versing the Panama Canal)   Fuel cost was a tremendous cost to Sea Launch operations - moving the platform and command ship back and forth.   Blue Origin will reveal their strategy when they are ready.

Offline Chasm

« Reply #35 on: 10/11/2018 08:33 pm »
Looking at pictures they should have a hatch clearance of roughly 7 meters.
Too bad that the pictures I found are not good enough to read the actual height limit sign.  :)

I doubt that Blue would buy a RoRo Ferry that can't (be made to) fit New Glenn.

Extra cost for west coast launches is a moot point to me. If the USG wants NG to launch there they'll have to pay for that service.

Blue: Hey USG, do you really want us to launch from Vandenberg? You would be the only customer.
USG: Yes we do.
Blue: Well. That will be $ for a ship and $$ for a pad and some $ each launch to move stuff around...
USG: Here, have $500 million as a start. How soon can we talk about vertical payload integration?

Yes, the $500 are for something else. OTOH Bezos seems to be more willing to jump through hoops than Musk.
Within reason of course. Blue is not building a pad for giggles, there will be some assurances from the Air Force. (And if they get broken that can used too.)

Offline Steve D

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #36 on: 10/12/2018 03:27 pm »
Will the ship be manned for the landings? Or will the crew leave the ship somehow while NG lands?
Steve

Offline Chasm

« Reply #37 on: 10/12/2018 04:37 pm »
Not manned according to Blue a while ago.

Probably could be done. LNG tankers -which have a much bigger blast radius- have some neat safety systems beyond the usual stuff.
But there is no real need to do it. Either the stage stands the landing or not.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #38 on: 10/12/2018 04:41 pm »
The NASA term Is "crewed" ...

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677