Author Topic: Apollo-Soyuz cockpit video during launch  (Read 13632 times)

Offline heng44

• Regular
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 1
Apollo-Soyuz cockpit video during launch
« on: 01/31/2007 08:57 am »
Here are some frames from the video I have of the ASTP launch. This was the first time that pictures of a US crew during launch were broadcast live. The first view shows the crew during the initial stages of the launch. Vance Brand is in the foreground, with commander Tom Stafford in the background. Deke Slayton was out of frame to the left. Because the boost protective cover is still in place the cabin is rather dark.

Offline heng44

• Regular
RE: Apollo-Soyuz cockpit video during launch
« Reply #1 on: 01/31/2007 08:59 am »
The second view was taken after the boost protective cover was jettisoned. You can see the light coming in through Stafford's side window.

Offline heng44

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: 01/31/2007 09:02 am »
The third view is not of the launch, but shows the crew during transposition and docking in orbit. The camera view is the same, but the crew have removed their helmets and gloves. They did not know the camera was running and Stafford's language was rather colorful as he was having problems during docking to the Docking Module. He was being blinded by the sun and had trouble lining up with the docking target.

Offline GLS

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Apollo-Soyuz cockpit video during launch
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/2007 10:46 am »
I've seen that video (just a bit) in a documentary before! Really cool! Thanks!!!! Can't you post the video?
GLS is go for main engine start!

Offline heng44

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/2007 10:59 am »
GLS - 31/1/2007  5:46 AM

Can't you post the video?

Sorry, but I wouldn't know how...

Offline heng44

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/2007 11:38 am »
Here is an article I wrote some time ago for SPACEFLIGHT magazine about what happened during the transposition and docking:

APOLLO-SOYUZ CANDID CAMERA
by Ed Hengeveld

An interesting few minutes of television were aired in Europe on the evening of 16 July 1975, showing the ASTP crew inside their spacecraft during the transposition and docking maneuver. This maneuver was initiated about an hour after launch on 15 July to extract the docking module from its housing inside the spacecraft/launch vehicle adapter (SLA) on top of the spent S-IVB second stage. It was the same location where the LM was stored for launch during lunar missions.

Apollo carried four TV-cameras and an onboard videotape recorder on this flight, which permitted delayed relay to the ground of up to 30 minutes of TV. As the transposition and docking occured partially out of radio contact with mission control, it was videotaped and transmitted to earth later via the ATS-6 communications satellite. Apparently the astronauts thought they were videotaping the view out the window. However, what was actually recorded showed some tense moments inside the spacecraft, as seen by the same TV-camera that had transmitted live views of the crew during launch.

What made the pictures unusual was the unrestrained language that the astronauts used. The episode was reminiscent of Apollo-10, when during a particularly hairy moment in lunar orbit LM-pilot Gene Cernan had yelled “Son of a bitch!”. This was broadcast live to millions of listeners around the world and had caused quite a flap after the flight. Many people objected to astronauts using “language you see written on a restroom wall”, as one critic called it. The fact that these astronauts were a quarter of a million miles from home and in serious danger seemed to make no difference. Cernan was forced to apologise.

The Apollo-Soyuz crew was a lot closer to home and the problems they encountered during the transposition and docking were not nearly as critical as those on Apollo-10, but the frustration in their voices was evident. In the video they were still wearing their spacesuits, but had removed their helmets and gloves. Commander Tom Stafford could be seen in the background in his left-hand couch, looking out through the rendezvous window in front of him. His hand was on the hand-controller, maneuvering the Apollo CSM by short bursts of the reaction control jets. In the foreground occupying the center couch was command module pilot Vance Brand, who was watching the instrument panel and holding a Hasselblad 70mm camera. He couldn’t see the S-IVB out his hatch window, because it pointed in the wrong direction. Docking module pilot Deke Slayton was off-camera to the left.

After the CSM was separated from the S-IVB stage at 21:04, it moved away from the adapter which housed the docking module. Then the four panels of the SLA were explosively jettisoned. Stafford then turned the spacecraft around to face the exposed docking module, looking through the crew optical alignment sight mounted in his window, like the viewfinder on a camera. When he looked through his COAS at the S-IVB and docking module, he discovered to his horror that all he could see was the glare from the sunlit earth behind it.

“I can’t… goddamn…” he muttered. “How did we ever get… I can’t see my COAS! I can’t see the… It’s so bright I can’t see the COAS. Son of a bitch!”

It was impossible to line the two vehicles up for docking this way and Stafford reported the problem to CapCom Dick Truly in mission control: “Dick, we got a problem. It’s so bright in that background, I can’t see my COAS”. He knew that he would just have to wait until the two craft had drifted to a different position. He was worried about it and said: “Oh, we’re really blowing this. COAS! Oh, shit!”

Stafford moved the CSM toward the S-IVB and docking module until only about 10 meters separated them. Watching the T-shaped docking target on the DM-truss in the S-IVB stage, the Apollo then assumed a stationkeeping status. Slowly the target vehicle appeared to drift upwards toward the earth’s horizon. With the black of space behind the S-IVB, Stafford could at last clearly see the docking target. Finally he was able to line the CSM up for docking and slowly moved in.

Then, as Truly reported that Houston was about to lose signal, Stafford reported: “And I finally got the COAS back in. Finally!” When Brand asked him if he wanted the Hasselblad camera, Stafford replied: “No, I’m too busy. Oh, that scared the hell out of me.”

As Stafford approached his target, Brand was floating up to try and see it out the hatch window, but he couldn’t. Slayton was trying to capture the scene outside with a second TV-camera, apparently not aware that the other camera was videotaping the scene inside the spacecraft. Through his window he could see the S-IVB, but not the docking target because that was over on Stafford’s side. He said: “All I’m gonna do is keep the TV pointed at him [the S-IVB], so if you need me to do anything else, holler.”

As the lighting conditions slowly improved, Stafford said: “Aha, now we’re going to get it.”
Brand: “Okay, good.”
Stafford: “So much better in the simulator.”
Brand: “Yeah.”
Slayton: “I’ll tell you, this TV is just as lousy to handle up here as…”
Stafford: “Okay, stand by. Let me just concentrate on this mother.”

By the time Stafford had lined up his target, Apollo had passed out of radio contact with the ground. Stafford worked the hand-controller to thrust forward and said: “We should be right about there.”

At that moment the spacecraft made contact with the docking module as the docking probe mounted on the top of the CM slid into the drogue on the DM. The mild jolt caused Brand to float up from his seat. Three capture latches on the docking probe now held the two modules together.
Stafford: “Contact!”
Brand: “Capture. CMC [command module computer] free.”
Slayton: “Super, super.”
Brand: “CMC free.”
Stafford: “CMC free.”
Brand: “Okay, good.”
Stafford: “Whooo. Stand by to retract it.”
Brand” “Give her ten seconds.”
Stafford: “Roll looks beautiful, roll was right on.”
Slayton: “Looks super.”
Brand: “Okay, when you’re ready, I’ll retract.”
Stafford: “Okay, retract her.”
Brand: “Retract. Do you see him coming in?”
Stafford: “Yeah, he’s coming in.”

Brand activated the probe retraction device, a nitrogen pressure system located in the probe, which pulled the CM and DM together. When the probe was completely retracted, a loud banging noise could be heard as the twelve docking latches snapped shut, forming a pressure-tight seal between the two modules.
Slayton: “Crunch!”
Stafford: “And we got a hard dock!”
Brand: “Oh man!”
Stafford: “Good deal!”
Slayton (laughing): “That is hard alright: crunch!”
Brand: “Okay, we got talkbacks grey. It’s beautiful.”
Stafford: “Man, this thing is zero. Right on!”

Hard dock occured at 21:28. As Brand read the checklist, a visibly relieved Stafford turned off the equipment that was used for the docking.
Brand: “We’re going great. Man, am I glad we passed this!”
Stafford: “Son of a bitch!”

This last comment caused the astronauts to laugh like naughty little boys and Brand said: “Ssshhh!”

As Brand handed Stafford the Hasselblad camera to shoot some pictures of the docking module, Slayton said: “Little nervous there, right?” Stafford explained what his problem had been: “It was slowly pitching up and there the sun was right behind us and the earth and I couldn’t see the COAS. It completely wiped it out. Shades of Gemini-9.”

Stafford’s reference was to his second spaceflight in June 1966, during which he was unable to dock his spacecraft to the Augmented Target Docking Adapter (ATDA) because the shroud covering that vehicle’s docking system had not been jettisoned.

Despite the problems on ASTP, Stafford’s docking was perfect. He had aligned the two spacecraft to within a hundreth of a degree, the best alignment ever achieved with the Apollo docking system. When Apollo re-established communications over Rosman, North Carolina, Stafford told CapCom Truly that they had achieved a hard docking with the DM. At 22:24 the bolts that held the docking module attached to the S-IVB were severed and Apollo pulled it away from the spent rocket stage. The chase for Soyuz could begin.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: 01/31/2007 12:55 pm »
Ask Chris how to post the video- I'm sure he or one of the other editors can help you. We'd all like to see it here since all we've seen before this have been snips of it.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 01/31/2007 12:57 pm »
heng44 - 31/1/2007  11:59 AM

GLS - 31/1/2007  5:46 AM

Can't you post the video?

Sorry, but I wouldn't know how...

Mail me at [email protected] and we'll arrange something.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #8 on: 01/31/2007 01:07 pm »
I have that video too ( on DVD and video), realy cool video to watch, it also shows the Russian crew getting suited up and stepping inside the Soyuz :-)
Jacques :-)

Offline heng44

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: 01/31/2007 01:27 pm »
Jacques, maybe you can help. I can't post the video because I only have it on tape and I do not have the equipment to transfer it to my computer. If you have it on DVD it could be easier to post it.

Ed

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 01/31/2007 01:40 pm »
I think I can make it a mpeg file and then post it, let me try it and if it worked I will post it...

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #11 on: 01/31/2007 08:11 pm »
Thanks, Ed (and all) for posting the stills.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 02/03/2007 03:58 pm »