Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-14 - Launch Viewing Thread  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

As requested. It's going to be similar to other SLC-40 launch viewing threads, but also provides a thread for people to upload their photos and such....

...so here it is.

And as with the party threads, we'll work this into becoming a general SLC-40 viewing thread after this launch, in order to keep the clutter down. Was thinking about doing that to the CRS-8 thread, but getting all the main info into the first page on this thread (unlike the CRS-8 Thread) would be a good idea.

So go for that initially, folk.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Paul_G

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-14 - Launch Viewing Thread
« Reply #1 on: 04/19/2016 04:07 pm »
Perhaps we could come up with a NSF 'recommended places to watch from' list of locations - and known 'gotchas' - cant park here, no public access there, KSC Visitors Center closed at night.... I have a vested interest as I'm going to be around KSC around the launch window, so am looking for suggestions :)

Paul

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #2 on: 04/19/2016 04:16 pm »
If you can get a slot at the LC39 Gantry, tickets for which cost $50 in addition to KSC Visitor Center admission, that'll definitely be the place to be. I tried twice there for the first two scrubs of SES-9, and I would have kept buying tickets for every scrub until the launch if I hadn't been flying home that Sunday, and been happy for it. It's the closest publicly-accessible viewing location.

As it turned out, my first live viewing ever was from OSB-II for CRS-8, which is about 4.5 miles away, as opposed to the Gantry which is 3.5 miles.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Paul_G

« Reply #3 on: 04/19/2016 04:22 pm »
If you can get a slot at the LC39 Gantry, tickets for which cost $50 in addition to KSC Visitor Center admission, that'll definitely be the place to be.

Will the gantry be open for a 01:30 am launch window?

will investigate.

Paul

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #4 on: 04/19/2016 04:35 pm »
Perhaps we could come up with a NSF 'recommended places to watch from' list of locations - and known 'gotchas' - cant park here, no public access there, KSC Visitors Center closed at night.... I have a vested interest as I'm going to be around KSC around the launch window, so am looking for suggestions :)

Paul

there is an existing thread

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #5 on: 05/02/2016 05:35 pm »
SpaceX YouTube Webcast Links:
- JCSAT-14 Technical Webcast:
Scheduled for May 4, 2016: This is the technical webcast and will only include shots of the pad, rocket and our countdown net audio.
- JCSAT-14 Hosted Webcast:
Scheduled for May 4, 2016: This is the full hosted webcast explaining the JCSAT-14 mission, shots of the rocket and some countdown net audio.
Other Links:
- SpaceX Website Broadcast: http://www.spacex.com/webcast
- SpaceX Livestream link is now been created for this launch: http://livestream.com/spacex/jcsat14

Launch and webcast info
SpaceX is targeting launch of JCSAT-14 from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida on May 5 (1:21am ET, 10:21pm PT, 5:21am UTC). SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket will deliver JCSAT-14, a commercial communications satellite for SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation, to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO). SKY Perfect JSAT is a leading satellite operator in the Asia-Pacific region and provides high-quality satellite communications to its customers using its fleet of 15 satellites. Following stage separation, the first stage of Falcon 9 will attempt an experimental landing on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship. Given this mission’s GTO destination, the first-stage will be subject to extreme velocities and re-entry heating, making a successful landing unlikely.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2016 05:48 pm by russianhalo117 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography