Author Topic: Bruce Willis heading to KSC  (Read 11144 times)

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 44
Bruce Willis heading to KSC
« on: 07/17/2007 08:40 pm »
In my inbox:

On Location presents The Bruce Willis Blues Band at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on Thursday, August 2nd in the spectacular Rocket Garden.

The concert is free and will be followed by a free outdoor screening of Armageddon, the best NASA inspired movie of all time.

TIME:
Thursday, August 2, 2007

7:00 pm The Bruce Willis Blues Band performance

9:00 pm Armageddon outdoor screening

Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
Rocket Garden

Offline Marcus

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bruce Willis heading to KSC
« Reply #1 on: 07/17/2007 11:13 pm »
Dunno about best movie of all time, but it's really cool to see NASA hosting this kind of free community event! Props to whomever thought up/organized this!
OPS!
One Percent for SPACE!

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
  • Liked: 0
RE: Bruce Willis heading to KSC
« Reply #2 on: 07/17/2007 11:19 pm »
Armageddon is the best NASA inspired movie of all time?  It was a totally ficitonal impossible piece of testosternoic crap!  What about Apollo 13 or The Right Stuff?!

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 07/17/2007 11:38 pm »
AstroRJY - 17/7/2007  6:19 PM

Armageddon is the best NASA inspired movie of all time?  It was a totally ficitonal impossible piece of testosternoic crap!  What about Apollo 13 or The Right Stuff?!

To the average American who knows nothing of NASA or the Space Center , it was a VERY good movie in that it made NASA look very good .

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #4 on: 07/18/2007 12:06 am »
The average American then, needs to expand their horizons and read a few more books and see more things with their own eyes by going places, not wasting money on crappy movies.

Offline CFE

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 07/18/2007 12:07 am »
How many physics teachers will be required to undo all the damage that this Bruckheimer-Bay crapfest has done on the minds of our children?
"Black Zones" never stopped NASA from flying the shuttle.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #6 on: 07/18/2007 12:13 am »
AstroRJY - 17/7/2007  6:19 PM

I place "Armageddon" in the same class as "I Dream of Jeannie".   Total fantasy nonsense, but still could be fun to watch.

Then again, they had a Barbara Eden exhibit at the Cape Canaveral U.S. Air Force Museum the last time I was there....

Of course "Jeannie" had a longer run (five years, 139 episodes) than the original "Star Trek", which at least played loosely on some actual physics concepts.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: 07/18/2007 12:14 am »
Realism != Entertaining.

Offline SpaceCat

• Florida
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: 07/18/2007 01:55 am »
A decade or so ago, KSC invited selected graphic (paint, pastel, pen & ink, pencil sketch, etc.) artists on base- to tour around and capture various scenes in their medium.  This resulted in lots of cool artwork which was (and may still be) exhibited in the hallways of the IMAX building at the Visitor Center.

I've always thought some interesting things might happen if the same invitation were extended to musicians..... from established locals to big name talents.

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 07/18/2007 02:18 am »
AstroRJY - 17/7/2007  7:06 PM

The average American then, needs to expand their horizons and read a few more books and see more things with their own eyes by going places, not wasting money on crappy movies.

At $3.00 a gallon for fuel , Americans are not going too many places :)

Reading books and such yes but most don't have time . A two hour movie that entertains them is alot easier . Shame but it is what it is .

Since the Apollo missions , NASA has become bland as entertainment goes . They are doing exciting things to a core group of people like us but for the general public , installing solar panels on a space station is as exciting as watching paint dry .

Now , let the shuttle get in trouble with a rescue mission  and the public would be very interested agin . That's bad but in the fantasy world of Hollywood they can do all kinds of things that make NASA look good without any bad image . Heck , they killed most of a shuttle crew in this movie and NASA still looked good . Most of it untrue and nonsense but since most americans like being entertained rather than informed ..............

Offline Celeritas

« Reply #10 on: 07/18/2007 01:55 pm »
Aren't they launching Phoenix the next morning?  It's gotta be bad luck or bad karma launching a real space mission within twenty four hours of a public showing of Armageddon.   ;)

Either that or this is secretly part of the filming of Die Hard 5.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #11 on: 07/18/2007 02:24 pm »
AstroRJY - 17/7/2007  7:19 PM

Albeit in different ways, "The Right Stuff" was just as bad. The scene where the original seven (in their silver pressure suits) stand around the Mercury spacecraft, hanging from a hook in an empty hanger, kicking it and nudging it and debating with the white-coated German scientists about a window and wether it is a "spacecraft" or a "kepsul" makes me gag.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #12 on: 07/18/2007 02:58 pm »
MechTech - 17/7/2007  9:18 PM

AstroRJY - 17/7/2007  7:06 PM

At $3.00 a gallon for fuel , Americans are not going too many places :)

I wish I could buy gas for $3 a gallon!  It's $3.40 in my neck of the woods.  But that hasn't seemed to put much of a crimp in travel.  The roads are more congested than ever.

Since the Apollo missions , NASA has become bland as entertainment goes . They are doing exciting things to a core group of people like us but for the general public , installing solar panels on a space station is as exciting as watching paint dry .

I think that a wider audience would find this interesting if it were presented in an interesting way.  After all, millions of people watch what are often pretty bland presentations on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel, etc.  You know - shows about bridges, trucks, airplanes, the history of soap, etc.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 07/18/2007 03:05 pm »
Armageddon is a complete nightmare with the faults, but it is a "cool" movie by way of what a lot of my friends thought of it and certainly got them asking about questions relating to Shuttle and NASA.

Sure, I bet we all felt like standing up in the cinema and shouting "Stop the film, that's simply not right!" ;) But the box office numbers speak for themselves.

And it's well over $10 a gallon here.

Armageddon thread: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=629&start=1
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #14 on: 07/18/2007 03:06 pm »
elmarko - 17/7/2007  8:14 PM

Realism != Entertaining.

Speak for yourself dude.  I can't watch Armageddon without gagging.  I can watch Apollo 13 over and over.  If they're going to ignore realism they might as well ignore realism all together and go the full fantasy route like Star Wars.

Edit:  Per Chris's post above.  I didn't think of that.  If it gets people asking questions about NASA than I guess it's okay.

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: 07/18/2007 03:21 pm »
edkyle99 - 18/7/2007  4:58 PM

I wish I could buy gas for $3 a gallon!  It's $3.40 in my neck of the woods.  But that hasn't seemed to put much of a crimp in travel.  The roads are more congested than ever.

- Ed Kyle

In Norway it's about 2.5 dollars per liter. And the politicians have got a brilliant idea of rising it to around 4 dollars per liter. THey think people will stop driving if they put the prices high enough.

But anyway, I don't know why NASA would agree to show that movie given its faults and flaws. It isn't that great entertainment either. I remember liking it when I was 10 though.

Offline JMS

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #16 on: 07/18/2007 03:38 pm »
The book "The Right Stuff" is an excellent and insightful interpretation of history.

The movie, frustratingly inaccurate and down right libelous at times.

Yeager getting the X-1 assignment in Pancho's bar and jumping in it the next day for the record breaking flight... humbug. Once turned over to the military, X-1 testing was actually a highly structured, incremental test program involving months of engineering familiarization and multiple test flights leading up to flying past Mach 1.

In another Yeager scene... he certainly did NOT take the highly valuable NF-104 out that day on an unscheduled whim just to "wring her out". Once again it was a scheduled official test flight with ground support and chase pilots.
All these scenes did was reinforce the public perception that test pilots were/are reckless daredevils.

The scene mentioned above, with the "seven" fighting the Germans for a window and pilot control... humbug. The Germans were booster people. The astronauts worked with McDonald Douglas on spacecraft refinements. In fact, the von Braun character, all through the movie, was unfairly portrayed as an obstinate bafoon.

The treatment of Grissom's character and personality, absolutely scandalous and fictitious.
Yes, the hatch blowing was questioned, but ultimately, if Chris Kraft and his charges had actually believed that Gus "screwed the pooch", he would have never flown again. (Much less been asigned the Gemini and Apollo first flights.) Just ask Scott Carpenter.

The blubbering idiot they turned Gus into was the biggest shame of the movie in my opinion.

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: 07/18/2007 11:10 pm »
This thread makes me think of that fat comic store owner on this Simpsons.  Those who watch the Simpsons know what I'm getting at.

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #18 on: 07/18/2007 11:12 pm »
MySDCUserID - 18/7/2007  7:10 PM

This thread makes me think of that fat comic store owner on this Simpsons.  Those who watch the Simpsons know what I'm getting at.

Worst.  Episode.  Ever.

or even better...

Worst.  NASA movie.  Ever.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #19 on: 07/19/2007 12:54 am »
hyper_snyper - 18/7/2007  6:12 PM

MySDCUserID - 18/7/2007  7:10 PM

Worst.  Episode.  Ever.

Ah, The Simpsons, which once gave us the absolute BEST NASA satire episode.  Ever.  Complete with guest appearance by Buzz Aldrin.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Homer

- Ed Kyle

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography