Author Topic: Bigelow Aerospace Update and Discussion Thread (3)  (Read 661125 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Last Edit: 04/22/2014 06:16 pm by Lar »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 272
Re: Bigelow Aerospace Update Thread (3)
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/2013 02:19 am »
Interesting. But how would it go from inside the HTV to outside the station?

It also raises another question: why not make it an expendable inflated trash can to be taken down with Dragon?
1- Dragon carries one empty BEAM in the trunk
2- The inflatable module is moved to a docking port
3- It stays there for as long as required, being loaded with high volume, low weight garbage
4- Another Dragon visiting the station would take it on its trunk to be disposed

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
« Reply #2 on: 01/13/2013 04:12 pm »
It also raises another question: why not make it an expendable inflated trash can to be taken down with Dragon?
1- Dragon carries one empty BEAM in the trunk
2- The inflatable module is moved to a docking port
3- It stays there for as long as required, being loaded with high volume, low weight garbage
4- Another Dragon visiting the station would take it on its trunk to be disposed

Once it's full of garbage how do you plan to stuff it back into the Dragon trunk?
I was thinking of putting an adapter on the end of the trunk and BEAM is kept outside the boundaries of the trunk. But that would affect cog and would be in the way of the de-orbit burn.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2013 04:13 pm by IRobot »

Offline Orbital Debris

• Glad to be out of Vegas
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: 01/14/2013 02:18 am »
Quote from: Prober on December 27, 2012, 13:11:04
gaming revenue doesn't = profit.

lol. Yes, less overhead and expenses. I just had a laugh imagining the poor sop who must repair an on orbit keno (30+ years), Madagaskar sweeping below, swearing to himself they weren't paying him enough.   

There were a couple of questions in the old thread that I had been meaning to address.  Kind of falls under update, so without too much discussion:

The projectors were checked out successfully on orbit.  See Attached image.

Space Bingo kind of worked, but required much cajoling, and the results were not all that spectacular.  Therefore no pictures were released.

Not quite as bad, but it wasn't very much fun trying to get Space Bingo to work through a ground link either. 

« Last Edit: 01/28/2016 07:31 pm by NSF Webmaster »

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #4 on: 01/14/2013 02:27 am »
I'm not sure which thread to put this on either:

End of life plan (BEAM) is similar to the disposal of the Early Ammonia Servicer.  Using the arm to release the BEAM in such a manner as to cause deorbit.  All portions would be expected to disintegrate on reentry. 
Have there been plans or serious thoughts toward using bigelow technology as something that could intentionally survive entry into Earth or Mars atmosphere (through materials choice or in-space coatings perhaps)?  Inflatable, strong, relatively light-weight multi-use structures also lend themselves to ballutes for example (conventional, doughnut, or sausage)...
« Last Edit: 01/14/2013 02:28 am by go4mars »
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #5 on: 01/14/2013 12:55 pm »
Quote from: Prober on December 27, 2012, 13:11:04
gaming revenue doesn't = profit.

lol. Yes, less overhead and expenses. I just had a laugh imagining the poor sop who must repair an on orbit keno (30+ years), Madagaskar sweeping below, swearing to himself they weren't paying him enough.   

There were a couple of questions in the old thread that I had been meaning to address.  Kind of falls under update, so without too much discussion:

The projectors were checked out successfully on orbit.  See Attached image.

Space Bingo kind of worked, but required much cajoling, and the results were not all that spectacular.  Therefore no pictures were released.

Not quite as bad, but it wasn't very much fun trying to get Space Bingo to work through a ground link either. 

this is wild ! thx for the pics.

Not sure If you remember but the big push for the last couple of years has been to establish interent Poker etc from Nevada and other states.  Can see this as an offshoot of this. 

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #6 on: 01/14/2013 02:00 pm »
Just to be mischievous:

As I understand it, the content of an internet site is regulated by the country that its server is based in.  What if you were to launch a Bigelow just as a floating data centre? Literally a part of the Internet that is not governed by any terrestrial law.  Have it regularly visited for maintenance (maybe a second BA-330 as the engineer's workshop and spares store).  I'm sure that there are some debatbly-ethical web-based businesses who would welcome such a facility and be willing to pay handsomely for the freedom it offers them to send an infinite amount of SPAM.

I'm sure that it would only last for a while before someone comes up with a way to regulate it, which is all the more reason to book your space on the drives now before the loophole closes!  ;D
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #7 on: 01/14/2013 02:09 pm »
Just to be mischievous:

As I understand it, the content of an internet site is regulated by the country that its server is based in.  What if you were to launch a Bigelow just as a floating data centre? Literally a part of the Internet that is not governed by any terrestrial law.  Have it regularly visited for maintenance (maybe a second BA-330 as the engineer's workshop and spares store).  I'm sure that there are some debatbly-ethical web-based businesses who would welcome such a facility and be willing to pay handsomely for the freedom it offers them to send an infinite amount of SPAM.

I'm sure that it would only last for a while before someone comes up with a way to regulate it, which is all the more reason to book your space on the drives now before the loophole closes!  ;D

1) Unless you send it to GSO, are you aware of the bandwidth cost of LEO relay networks?
2) A satellite has to have an owner. Among other things, it's about ultimate responsibility as space debris and in case it hits something when falling. If it has ITAR components, it's going to have some US jurisdiction. But for the particular case of Bigelow, it has to launch under US jurisdiction.
It's much cheaper to have a boat registered to a game friendly country. And then you can use whatever connection you want (and can afford).

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #8 on: 01/14/2013 02:42 pm »

End of life plan (BEAM) is similar to the disposal of the Early Ammonia Servicer.  Using the arm to release the BEAM in such a manner as to cause deorbit.  All portions would be expected to disintegrate on reentry. 
Have there been plans or serious thoughts toward using bigelow technology as something that could intentionally survive entry into Earth or Mars atmosphere (through materials choice or in-space coatings perhaps)?  Inflatable, strong, relatively light-weight multi-use structures also lend themselves to ballutes for example (conventional, doughnut, or sausage)...

Yes.

There may be some value in using inflatable structures to land on Mars.

Offline luksol

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: 01/15/2013 08:54 am »

Yes.

It could be used on Earth as well.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 01/15/2013 04:57 pm »

Yes.

It could be used on Earth as well.

Yep. Lavochkin has some interesting designs in this regard. However, the Qualified Customer (NASA) is probably more interested in landing large structures on Mars rather than this planet.

I would imagine that some Super SkyCrane and an inflatable habitat would make a useful system for supporting humans on Mars.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 01/15/2013 04:59 pm »

Can the station arm reach BEAM if BEAM is installed on a hypothetical Node 4? If so, do the kinematics allow the arm to actually manipulate BEAM in he manner described above?

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
« Reply #12 on: 01/15/2013 07:11 pm »
Just to be mischievous:

Do you see datacenters in North Korea? The physical location is not all that matters. An individual or company can be sued even if the servers are in other countries. No need for new laws.
Also you can simply ban the ip/dns name.

Offline StephenB

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #13 on: 01/15/2013 07:28 pm »
Space.com: Inflatable Private Space Stations: Bigelow's Big Dream
Both Genesis habitats are 14.4 feet long by 8.3 feet wide (4.4 by 2.5 meters), with about 406 cubic feet (11.5 cubic m) of pressurized volume. The BEAM module that will be attached to the International Space Station in two years or so will likely be of similar size.
Is this part new info?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #14 on: 01/16/2013 11:20 am »
Space.com: Inflatable Private Space Stations: Bigelow's Big Dream
Both Genesis habitats are 14.4 feet long by 8.3 feet wide (4.4 by 2.5 meters), with about 406 cubic feet (11.5 cubic m) of pressurized volume. The BEAM module that will be attached to the International Space Station in two years or so will likely be of similar size.

Is this part new info?

Not really.  Every graphic I've seen of BEAM to date is a fairly small object, either spherical or a donut shape, that is only about the diameter of a Spacelab module at its widest point and is much shorter than even the MPLMs.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Occupymars

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #15 on: 01/16/2013 01:05 pm »
"The first inflatable product designed to support crew will be launched in late 2015 aboard a Falcon 9 rocket made by SpaceX. The module, known as the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, will travel in the cargo hold of a Dragon spacecraft, also made by SpaceX, according to Bigelow" this was posted by businessweek in their article about the BEAM >http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-01-16/nasa-goes-ikea-to-test-inflatable-annex-for-space-station
« Last Edit: 01/16/2013 01:07 pm by Occupymars »
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline GBpatsfan

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #16 on: 01/16/2013 01:29 pm »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #17 on: 01/16/2013 02:05 pm »
"The first inflatable product designed to support crew will be launched in late 2015 aboard a Falcon 9 rocket made by SpaceX. The module, known as the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, will travel in the cargo hold of a Dragon spacecraft, also made by SpaceX, according to Bigelow" this was posted by businessweek in their article about the BEAM >http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-01-16/nasa-goes-ikea-to-test-inflatable-annex-for-space-station

Confirmation. This is by far the cheapest way to do it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #18 on: 01/16/2013 02:08 pm »
Interesting that it can be transported in a Dragon Trunk.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #19 on: 01/16/2013 03:13 pm »
Did you guys fail to read Chris and Pete's article? This has all been reported already.

Check out the news site, it'll help you.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography