Author Topic: New Mars mission  (Read 5115 times)

Offline Mark7777777

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 64
New Mars mission
« on: 07/15/2016 10:37 pm »
After reading http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health/mars-2020-rover-announcement/index.html just now, I was was wondering if:

a) NASA would ever take the step of putting a HD video camera on the new rover and taking 5 minutes of video with sound. Maybe a panoramic video sweep or even that while a rover is driving.

I'm guessing people might say the file size would be relatively enormous compared to photos but I think the entertainment value to the masses might be exponentially better than just static photos again.

And by the way, why is it not easy to send large files at high speed? Does distance affect communication speed somehow and if so why?
« Last Edit: 07/15/2016 10:39 pm by Mark7777777 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New Mars mission
« Reply #1 on: 07/15/2016 10:52 pm »
There will be a high resolution camera on Mars 2020. There is one on Curiosity. There will be multiple microphones on Mars 2020.

Bandwidth is a killer. You can try this yourself by taking five minutes of high resolution video, then go get your old telephone modem out of the closet and send that video to somebody.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
Re: New Mars mission
« Reply #2 on: 07/15/2016 11:16 pm »
The following can give you a little bit of information on the bandwidth issues communicating with Mars and the potential for using optical communications in the future:

http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/heo/scan/engineering/technology/txt_opticalcomm_benefits.html

I suggest reading the MRO Example paragraph.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography