Author Topic: Hazegrayart Master Thread  (Read 27527 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: Hazegrayart Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: 05/15/2023 10:08 am »
Just a quick note to NSF members, for any old or new Hazegrayart videos posted in this thread,  I will also update the initial thread post with a reference link to enable viewers to quickly find videos and to eliminate any possible duplications.

Thanks, everyone.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #21 on: 05/15/2023 09:37 pm »
A Transparent Soyuz Rocket Launch from Baikonur

Jul 28, 2021
The Soyuz rocket, a legendary figure in the history of space travel, is a family of expendable launch systems crafted by Russia's premier space agency, Roscosmos. Since its inception in the swinging 60s, this formidable rocket has undergone numerous improvements and has established itself as one of the most widely used and trusted space launch vehicles in the world.

With its versatility and dependability, the Soyuz has launched missions for a diverse array of organizations and nations, including the Soviet Union, Russia, the European Space Agency, and even NASA. Whether it's carrying crew and cargo to low Earth orbit, or transporting astronauts to the International Space Station, the Soyuz has proven its worth time and time again.

Fueling this rocket's success is its power source: a mixture of liquid oxygen (LOX) and kerosene. The Soyuz's first stage boasts four liquid-fueled engines, while its second stage is powered by a solitary engine. The third and final stage employs a solid-fueled engine. This fuel combination, which has been utilized in many early and contemporary rockets, is known for its high energy output, making it the ideal choice for spacecraft propulsion systems. The efficiency, affordability, and reliability of the LOX and kerosene combination have made it a staple in various space programs, including the Soyuz rocket.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline 12345

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #22 on: 05/16/2023 12:18 pm »
This is one of my all-time favorites and has over 4Million hits.  Way over-the-top concept. Enjoy

Chrysler’s Space Shuttle Proposal: the SSTO SERV and MURP

Jun 3, 2020
Chrysler Aerospace was already contracted for the Saturn 1 and 1B First Stage so in 1971
they proposed an alternate shuttle program, the SERV and MURP

SERV: the Single-stage Earth-orbital Reusable Vehicle had a 53 metric ton payload in a  7m x 18m payload bay 
12 LH2/LOX aerospike engines were arranged around the rim of the base, covered by movable metal shields
Jet Engines, which were fired just prior to touchdown in order to slow the descent

MURP, the Manned Upper-stage Reusable Payload
The MURP was based on the HL-10 lifting body (Six Million Dollar Man test Vehicle) and a Larger Versionone larger (the D-34) could carry up to ten passengers

Love this concept. I would make starship look like this (but without HL-10, LH2, jets and aerospikes).
« Last Edit: 05/16/2023 12:37 pm by 12345 »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #23 on: 05/16/2023 08:49 pm »
Compared to nice, sleak, aerodynamic cylindrical rockets, the fat capsule shape looks dumb… BUT physics doesn’t *always* care if something is elegant or not, and at a large enough scale the aerodynamic drag isn’t a problem in spite of being fat. :)

There is some appeal to it…
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #24 on: 05/17/2023 08:04 am »
Compared to nice, sleak, aerodynamic cylindrical rockets, the fat capsule shape looks dumb… BUT physics doesn’t *always* care if something is elegant or not, and at a large enough scale the aerodynamic drag isn’t a problem in spite of being fat. :)

There will likely be very few "fat" rocket hardware, if any. Just how do you move a "fat" rocket core like for example with a travel cross section of 20 meter wide and 40 meters high around on land? Will need new transport infrastructure with any new "fat" rocket.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #25 on: 05/17/2023 02:26 pm »

There will likely be very few "fat" rocket hardware, if any. Just how do you move a "fat" rocket core like for example with a travel cross section of 20 meter wide and 40 meters high around on land? Will need new transport infrastructure with any new "fat" rocket.
I can think of 2 land based vehicles that would move a 20 meter wide rocket with ease. (they could actually move 2 20m meter rockets side by side with 1 meter to spare)  There's even a parking garage with powered door mechanisms, but you must enjoy Florida.  As such, your point is valid.
Paul

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4316
  • Likes Given: 1757
« Reply #26 on: 05/17/2023 02:37 pm »

If you have wide roadways (e.g. the crawlerways at KSC), you can use SPMTs. You won't move those big items long distance over land, but this is true of a great many different items in this world.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81615
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #27 on: 05/18/2023 03:36 pm »

An-325: The Giant Carrier for Britain's Interim HOTOL Spaceplane

Hazegrayart

18 May 2023

The HOTOL (Horizontal Take-Off and Landing) project aimed to develop a British unmanned re-usable spacecraft similar to the American Space Shuttle and Soviet Buran. It intended to be a single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) craft capable of operating from runways. HOTOL planned to use a unique propulsion system that acted as both an airbreathing jet engine and a rocket engine.

Alan Bond, a rocketry engineer, researched an airbreathing rocket engine concept in 1982. His idea addressed the challenge of carrying propellant onboard SSTO vehicles by using external atmospheric oxygen, combined with liquid hydrogen, for thrust until reaching Mach 5.5. Afterward, it would switch to conventional rocket mode using liquid oxygen.

In 1985, Rolls Royce acquired Bond's engine rights and collaborated with British Aerospace (BAe) on the HOTOL project. However, difficulties arose due to the mismatch between the center of pressure and gravity during flight. The British government withdrew support in 1988, leading to the project's cancellation.

Nonetheless, in 1990, the project experienced a resurgence when BAe approached the Soviet Union with a proposal to launch a derivative of HOTOL by piggybacking aboard the massive Antonov An-225 transport aircraft. This derivative, known as the Interim HOTOL, would forego the complex RB545 engines in favor of conventional rockets supplied by Russia. The Interim HOTOL would be mounted atop the An-225, originally designed to carry the Buran space shuttle, and ascend to an altitude of approximately 29,500 ft (9,000 m). Once released, the Interim HOTOL would ignite its rocket engines and be propelled into orbit while carrying a payload of 4.5 tons.

Antonov also explored the development of an enhanced derivative of the An-225, called the An-325, equipped with two additional engines to accommodate a larger payload and potentially launch a larger version of HOTOL or a Russian vehicle. Unfortunately, the Interim HOTOL fared no better than its predecessor and was discontinued in 1992 due to a lack of interest from both the European Space Agency (ESA) and the UK government.

The HOTOL project showcased ambition and innovation but faced challenges in achieving its goals. Nonetheless, it contributed to subsequent developments such as Skylon, as the quest for efficient and cost-effective space transportation continues.

Online catdlr

« Reply #28 on: 05/18/2023 10:02 pm »
As a follow-up to the HOTOL Hazegrayart video above here is more background information detailing the project and the engine in the following videos:

HOTOL - Spaceplane of the future

Mar 20, 2021
HOTOL was a 1980s British project to build a totally reusable Space Shuttle. The project was cancelled and as it existed in the pre-internet age it's hard to find information about it.

Whilst I was making my Spaceplanes video I came across a HOTOL brochure from 1985. I thought I would go through it and give an overview of this extremely interesting project.

HOTOL - Anatomy of a spaceplane engine

Mar 23, 2022
HOTOL was a 1980s British project to build a totally reusable Space Shuttle. The project was cancelled and as it existed in the pre-internet age it's hard to find information about it.

In this video, with the aid of an original patent, I go back to basics to explain how HOTOL's unique rocket engine would have worked.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2023 10:09 pm by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 05/20/2023 08:24 pm »
Buran, Space Shuttle of the Soviet Union, Energia Rocket

Apr 16, 2018
The only orbital launch of a Buran-class orbiter occurred at 03:00:02 UTC on 15 November 1988 from Baikonur Cosmodrome launch pad 110/37.[3][5] Buran was lifted into space, on an unmanned mission, by the specially designed Energia rocket. The automated launch sequence was performed as specified, and the Energia rocket lifted the vehicle into a temporary orbit before the orbiter separated as programmed. After boosting itself to a higher orbit and completing two orbits around the Earth, the ODU  engines fired automatically to begin the descent into the atmosphere, return to the launch site, and horizontal landing on a runway.

Online catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 06/02/2023 11:52 pm »
Project Super Orion Nuclear Pulse Propulsion Interstellar Ark

Full Version: Feb 3, 2021, Shorten Version June 2, 2023
Project Orion was a study of a starship intended to be directly propelled by a series of explosions of atomic bombs behind the craft (nuclear pulse propulsion)

The project was eventually abandoned for multiple reasons such as the Partial Test Ban Treaty which banned nuclear explosions in space as well as concerns over nuclear fallout.

The biggest design was the "Super" Orion design; at 8 million tons, 7250000000 Kilograms it could easily be a city.

One design proposed by Freeman Dyson for the "Super Orion" called for the pusher plate to be composed primarily of uranium or a transuranic element so that upon reaching a nearby star system the plate could be converted to nuclear fuel.

« Last Edit: 06/02/2023 11:57 pm by catdlr »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81615
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #31 on: 06/04/2023 06:35 am »

Soviet Union's other Moon Rocket: UR-700A

4 Jun 2023

The regular UR-700 had a payload capacity of 151 tons to Earth orbit, surpassing both the N1 (97 tons) and the American Saturn-5 (127 tons). Additionally, Chelomei's engineers developed a larger follow-on version called Skhema "A" (Configuration "A"), which incorporated nuclear engines. This configuration featured a solid-core nuclear reactor and increased the payload capacity to as much as 250 tons into Earth orbit.

The first two stages of the UR-700 with the "A" variant propulsion were similar to the regular UR-700. The six boosters in the first stage fed their own engines and simultaneously refueled the three boosters of the second stage. This ensured that the second stage had full tanks when it took over the powered ascent after the separation of the first stage.

The "atomic" version of the UR-700 included third and fourth stages developed from scratch, equipped with RO-31 nuclear engines (also known as RD-0411). These engines burned cryogenic liquid hydrogen or liquid methane and produced a thrust of 40 tons. The third stage featured seven RO-31 engines, while the fourth stage had three. The third stage could be responsible for sending a spacecraft on an escape trajectory from Earth orbit, while the fourth stage could perform a braking maneuver near the Moon or Mars.

Online catdlr

« Reply #32 on: 06/05/2023 07:05 am »

Dec 2, 2022
The LK  was a lunar module (lunar lander designed for human spaceflight) developed in the 1960s as a part of several Soviet crewed lunar programs. Its role was analogous to the American Apollo Lunar Module (LM). Three LK modules, of the T2K variant, were flown without crew in Earth orbit, but no LK ever reached the Moon. The development of the N1 launch vehicle required for the lunar flight suffered setbacks (including several launch failures), and the first Moon landings were achieved by US astronauts on Apollo 11. As a result, having lost the Space Race, both the N1 and the LK programs were cancelled without any further development.

Sergei Korolev, the lead Soviet rocket engineer and spacecraft designer during the 1950s and 1960s, planned to adopt the same lunar orbit rendezvous concept as seen in the Apollo program. The lunar expedition spacecraft L3 was to consist of a Soyuz 7K-L3 Command Ship (a variant of the Soyuz) and an LK Lander. L3 would carry a two-man crew atop a single three-stage superheavy N-1 booster. A fourth stage, the Blok G, would push the L3 (LOK+LK) toward the Moon, with the Blok D as a fifth stage.

LK compared to the Apollo Lunar Module

Because the payload capacity of the N1 rocket was only 95 tons to LEO, versus the Saturn V's 140 tons to LEO, the LK was created to be less bulky than the Apollo Lunar Module (LM):

It had a different landing profile

It was lighter at only one-third the mass of the LM

Initially, the LK was to have carried a single cosmonaut. A later variant would have a two-man crew; the LM took two

It had no docking tunnel like the LM's; the cosmonaut would spacewalk from the LOK (Soyuz 7K-L3) to the LK and back
LK Lunar Lander,
Soyuz-Lok,
N1 Rocket service tower,
3rd Stage n1 Models from Sketchfab user "Soviet Model Magic"

Online catdlr

« Reply #33 on: 06/05/2023 07:06 am »

Jul 7, 2020
Before the Stratolaunch was ever conceived, the Tupolev Bureau proposed a fully reusable replacement for the Buran Space Shuttle
The "OOS" Which stood for Odnostupenchati Orbitalni Samolyot, (one-stage orbital plane)

Like the Stratolaunch system, The shuttle would ride under the  Aerospace Transport System (AKS) A Dual fuselage version of the Antonov An-225 with between 24 and 40 Jet Engines
The OSS would have a weight of 675 tons and the AKS would have a weight of 1000 tons for a total of around 1600 tons.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #34 on: 06/06/2023 07:40 pm »
needz moar engines!

Online catdlr

« Reply #35 on: 06/19/2023 02:54 am »

Jun 16, 2023
The Atlas V rocket is a launch vehicle developed and manufactured by United Launch Alliance (ULA), a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin. It is designed to deliver payloads into space for both government and commercial customers. The Atlas V has been in service since 2002 and has a strong track record of successful launches.

Here are some key features and capabilities of the Atlas V rocket:

Configurations: The Atlas V is available in several different configurations, which vary based on the number of solid rocket boosters (SRBs) and the type of Centaur upper stage used. The most common configurations include the Atlas V 401, 411, 421, and 551.

Two-Stage Rocket: The Atlas V is a two-stage rocket, meaning it has two distinct stages stacked on top of each other. The first stage is powered by a Russian-built RD-180 engine, which burns a highly efficient combination of kerosene (RP-1) and liquid oxygen (LOX). The second stage is powered by the RL10 engine, which uses liquid hydrogen (LH2) and liquid oxygen (LOX) as propellants.

Payload Fairing: The rocket's payload is encapsulated in a protective fairing, which shields the payload during the ascent through the atmosphere. The fairing comes in two different diameters: 4 meters (13.1 feet) and 5.4 meters (17.7 feet), depending on the payload requirements.

Flexibility: The Atlas V is known for its versatility and can deliver a wide range of payloads to various orbits, including low Earth orbit (LEO), geostationary transfer orbit (GTO), and beyond. It has been used to launch satellites for communications, weather monitoring, scientific research, national security, and more.

Reliability: The Atlas V has established a strong reputation for reliability and has achieved a high success rate throughout its operational history. It has been used for numerous critical missions, including launching spacecraft to Mars, delivering satellites to orbit, and supporting national security missions.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2023 02:54 am by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #36 on: 06/22/2023 04:47 am »
Mach 6 Nuclear Powered 600 Seat Jetliner

Full length version

Short Portrait version:

Jun 21, 2023
Fireflash is an advanced supersonic airliner with impressive specifications.

Speed: Fireflash is capable of reaching Mach 6 supersonic speeds, allowing for faster-than-sound travel.

Passenger Capacity: Nuclear Powered 600 Seat Jetliner

Range: The range of Fireflash is portrayed as a long-haul aircraft capable of traveling significant distances.

Defensive Systems: Fireflash is equipped with defensive systems to counter threats, including anti-missile countermeasures and a reinforced hull.

Advanced Avionics: The aircraft features advanced avionics and navigation systems to ensure safe and efficient travel.

Online catdlr

« Reply #37 on: 06/24/2023 01:00 am »
What Will Our Moon Look Like in the Future

Aug 22, 2022
Our moon makes Earth a more livable planet by moderating our home planet's wobble on its axis, leading to a relatively stable climate, and creating a tidal rhythm that has guided humans for thousands of years. The moon was likely formed after a Mars-sized body collided with Earth and the debris formed into the most prominent feature in our night sky. It is the only celestial a body beyond Earth that has been visited by human beings.

Earth's Moon is the fifth largest of the 200+ moons orbiting planets in our solar system.

Distance from the Earth: About 239,000 miles.

"Year" (time to orbit the Earth): About 27 Earth days.

Day: About 27 Earth days.

Minimum temperature: -387 degrees Fahrenheit.

Maximum temperature: 253 degrees Fahrenheit.

Earth's only natural satellite is simply called "the Moon" because people didn't know other moons existed until Galileo Galilei discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter in 1610.

Alternate Portrait versions;

« Last Edit: 06/24/2023 01:04 am by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #38 on: 07/04/2023 08:39 pm »
SpaceX Starship Hot Staging Cinematic

Jul 4, 2023
SpaceX Starship, a remarkable creation from the visionary private space exploration company founded by Elon Musk, is an extraordinary feat of engineering that embodies the limitless potential of human ingenuity. The Starship represents a pioneering concept in space travel, providing an advanced, fully reusable transportation system designed to propel both crew and cargo beyond the frontiers of Earth's orbit and enable unparalleled point-to-point travel on our planet.

This awe-inspiring spacecraft comprises two distinct but interdependent components: the powerful Super Heavy booster and the sleek, futuristic Starship spacecraft. The Super Heavy booster serves as the initial thrust mechanism that catapults the Starship spacecraft into orbit, while the Starship spacecraft itself is responsible for carrying both crew and cargo to their intended extraterrestrial destinations.

Fashioned out of the ultra-durable stainless steel, the Starship spacecraft is a masterful creation of technological sophistication that can carry up to 100 people and accommodate a staggering payload capacity of up to 150 metric tons. The spacecraft boasts a bevy of cutting-edge features, including robust engines and state-of-the-art avionics systems that guarantee the utmost safety and precision in the spacecraft's landings on various extraterrestrial surfaces.

SpaceX's relentless commitment to innovation and progress is evident in their extensive testing of the Starship prototype at their launch facility in South Texas. The company envisions a future where the Starship spacecraft serves as a vital tool for humanity's exploration of the Moon and Mars, as well as facilitating commercial point-to-point travel on our planet. With the Starship, SpaceX hopes to expand the horizons of space travel, making it more accessible and affordable for everyone and ushering in a new era of human achievement and exploration.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #39 on: 07/05/2023 04:06 am »
What Will Our Moon Look Like in the Future

Aug 22, 2022
Our moon makes Earth a more livable planet by moderating our home planet's wobble on its axis, leading to a relatively stable climate, and creating a tidal rhythm that has guided humans for thousands of years. The moon was likely formed after a Mars-sized body collided with Earth and the debris formed into the most prominent feature in our night sky. It is the only celestial a body beyond Earth that has been visited by human beings.

Earth's Moon is the fifth largest of the 200+ moons orbiting planets in our solar system.

Distance from the Earth: About 239,000 miles.

"Year" (time to orbit the Earth): About 27 Earth days.

Day: About 27 Earth days.

Minimum temperature: -387 degrees Fahrenheit.

Maximum temperature: 253 degrees Fahrenheit.

Earth's only natural satellite is simply called "the Moon" because people didn't know other moons existed until Galileo Galilei discovered four moons orbiting Jupiter in 1610.

Think the lit up areas of the Moon in the future will be much dimmer than in Hazegrayart's video. The sensible thing to do is go underground for radiation protection and thermal stability. So Lunar top side infrastructure will likely be minimal. ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography