Author Topic: Starlink Internet Connection equipment - Home/Office user  (Read 122600 times)

Offline steriik

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello everyone;

I can' t find any information about the next to be use equipment, antena and receiver for a home user...

Is there any available info about the parabolic size and the receiver device, any photo even about prototypes ?
- or this that still very early to get infos about it ?
Also interested by price cost for Starlink internet connection..

Thanks a lot  ;)
terii
« Last Edit: 06/20/2020 04:14 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Starlink Internet Connection equipment - Home/Office user
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2020 08:52 pm »
There aren't any pictures or pricing info yet.  Elon says it's about the size of a medium pizza.

Offline steriik

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2020 10:13 pm »
Yep, that's the info I also got about the Pizza  :D
maybe the receiver has a glass of wine shape to complete the menu !

Offline 2megs

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2020 12:36 am »
The latest public description was a "UFO on a stick".

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1214548764054216704

Offline garcianc

• washington, dc
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2020 02:30 am »
My son, who is an environmental engineer, thinks it might look like one of the GIS data collection GPS antenna stations they use.

Offline Eka

• Land between two rivers.
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2020 03:32 am »
I expect it to be much thinner. The guts of it are likely two circuit boards. One is the phased array antenna with it's controller chip and the motor control electronics. The other has the network interface, and power supply, The network interface and power supply are dependent on country so they are separate from the antenna. As for the case shape, UFO was the work he used... Knowing Elon Musk, that is a very accurate shape description.
We talk about creating a Star Trek future, but will end up with The Expanse if radical change doesn't happen.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #6 on: 02/09/2020 06:25 am »

This is quite disappointing. First it seems much more fragile, up on a stick, more susceptible to wind. Second, do the motors mean it tracks as the satellite moves across the sky? Motors will eventually wear out if they are constantly moving like that. Third this means the antenna cannot be mounted on a moving vehicle like a car or boat.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #7 on: 02/09/2020 06:32 am »
Ok, so I understand the UFO on a stick (antenna/receiver).  Will it replace the modem?  Will it connect to the modem?  Will it have a modem and router built in?  Lots of questions as to what type equipment we will need or whether it will work with your existing equipment. 

I have a modem and router in my attic now with 4 computers in the house, two cell phones, and an Echo or Alexa in every room, including the bath rooms.  (Wife was a computer programmer, and loves electronic gadgets).  We also have outside cameras around the house and a ring camera doorbell.  A lot of this equipment has to use the internet so we can remote access stuff when we are away from home.  All equipment has battery backup units. 

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #8 on: 02/09/2020 06:38 am »
Ok, so I understand the UFO on a stick (antenna/receiver).  Will it replace the modem?  Will it connect to the modem?  Will it have a modem and router built in?  Lots of questions as to what type equipment we will need or whether it will work with your existing equipment. 

It will most certainly include a modem, either built in or separate. Built in router maybe, but I think unlikely.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #9 on: 02/09/2020 03:19 pm »
This is quite disappointing. First it seems much more fragile, up on a stick, more susceptible to wind. Second, do the motors mean it tracks as the satellite moves across the sky? Motors will eventually wear out if they are constantly moving like that. Third this means the antenna cannot be mounted on a moving vehicle like a car or boat.

It's kinda hard to tell how fragile it is without seeing it.  It does not track the satellite across the sky.  The home antenna is not designed for vehicular use, it's designed for easy setup at a fixed location.  This particular antenna wouldn't really be designed for vehicular use, but why do you think there will only be one antenna?

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226
« Reply #10 on: 02/09/2020 04:31 pm »
Seriously doubt it's fragile.  This terminal appears to be getting the full soup-to-nuts design treatment.  If SpaceX's jobs board is any indication, it will be made from high pressure die casted aluminum (at least on the bottom portion).
« Last Edit: 02/09/2020 04:42 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226
« Reply #11 on: 02/09/2020 04:41 pm »
Backup for the above re aluminum parts on the user terminal.  This appears to be the same process as being used for the first time on the Model Y frame.

https://boards.greenhouse.io/spacex/jobs/4568157002?gh_jid=4568157002

MATERIALS PROCESS ENGINEER - HIGH PRESSURE DIE CASTING
Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.

MATERIALS PROCESS ENGINEER, HIGH PRESSURE DIE CASTING

This role would be on the materials engineering team, supporting high pressure die casting. The materials engineering team supports materials across SpaceX via identification, development, and implementation of advanced materials and processes. You will work closely with our engineering teams in the early phases of high pressure die casting process development and equipment commissioning to drive the development of aluminum die casting at the company, including the future integration and commissioning of a die-casting foundry at SpaceX. Through your work in this role, you will be enabling SpaceX to manufacture a truly unique product line of user terminals to connect people on Earth with Starlink satellite internet.

« Last Edit: 02/09/2020 04:57 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline Mandella

• Liked: 799
  • Likes Given: 2592
« Reply #12 on: 02/09/2020 06:57 pm »
I don't see why it would be any more fragile or susceptible to wind than a regular satellite dish -- much less so considering the different wind resistance from dish to flat disk. The motors are not for constant tracking, AIUI, but for initial setup, and it has never been pitched for car use (although I could well see a later miniaturized generation grabbing that functionality).

Although Musk didn't say it, I would be pretty shocked if it didn't have an Ethernet port, since built in WIFI would hardly be real useful for a device stuck up on the roof, or as in my case likely on a pole in the yard a bit away from the house (too many shady trees overhanging the roof).

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #13 on: 02/09/2020 07:48 pm »
I am worried about trees myself. I have good internet from charter, but if the price is right and I can get /54 ipv6 prefix from starlink, then I will happily jump ship. However I have four large trees surrounding my 2 story house, leaving maybe 50% of the sky obscured. My parents, who have no good alternatives live in a hardwood forest with trees on the order of 120ft tall.

Offline Mandella

• Liked: 799
  • Likes Given: 2592
« Reply #14 on: 02/09/2020 08:08 pm »
I am worried about trees myself. I have good internet from charter, but if the price is right and I can get /54 ipv6 prefix from starlink, then I will happily jump ship. However I have four large trees surrounding my 2 story house, leaving maybe 50% of the sky obscured. My parents, who have no good alternatives live in a hardwood forest with trees on the order of 120ft tall.

We're going to have to wait and see how much of the sky needs to be exposed for good connectivity, and I imagine it will depend somewhat on our latitude.

Your parents are likely out of the running, however, unless they want to mount the UFO up on a treetop! (And not sure how well it will take to swaying...)

;)

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #15 on: 02/10/2020 12:14 am »
One could always build an antenna tower.  Our local trade school once had the welding class building adjustable height TV antenna towers out of angle iron.  This was with old analog TV stations.  The antenna itself could rotate 360 degrees, as well as height adjustment. 

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #16 on: 02/10/2020 02:57 am »
My parents are at 45 degrees N, and have roughly 50 deg of visible sky from their roof. So maybe eventually it could work with fast hand-offs. Maybe 7-8 seconds between satellites?

Offline dondar

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 299
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #17 on: 02/10/2020 05:10 pm »

Array antenna has angular limitations for digital steering of the signal beam (signal "beam forming").

Motors do target tracking ("search" in military lingo)i.e. they position antenna in approximate angle calculated by the tracking software, and array does beam acquisition ("targeting") i.e. it tunes phases of all array elements to form a digital beam, do handshake and perform transmission. Digital part is really fast, so motor needs to be a simple step motor and to have simple sturdy bearing capable to do slow movements of the ~1kg object with sufficient resilience. There are no issues to have such antennas on the planes (and the tests where successful) so no problems of their use on the ground vehicles to be expected.

It is nothing  like sat optical tracking systems one can see today. Mechanical part is significantly simpler.

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #18 on: 02/10/2020 07:23 pm »

Array antenna has angular limitations for digital steering of the signal beam (signal "beam forming").

Motors do target tracking ("search" in military lingo)i.e. they position antenna in approximate angle calculated by the tracking software, and array does beam acquisition ("targeting") i.e. it tunes phases of all array elements to form a digital beam, do handshake and perform transmission. Digital part is really fast, so motor needs to be a simple step motor and to have simple sturdy bearing capable to do slow movements of the ~1kg object with sufficient resilience. There are no issues to have such antennas on the planes (and the tests where successful) so no problems of their use on the ground vehicles to be expected.

It is nothing  like sat optical tracking systems one can see today. Mechanical part is significantly simpler.
So many things wrong with what you just said:

-The limits of beam steering cover most of the sky, and the portions not covered would be near the horizon, which is undesirable for multiple reasons including regulations. See here.
-The statement from Musk is just that motors will adjust to "optimal" angle. That just means auto-leveling, with maybe some intentional tilt if there are local blockages detected. Not that it would continuously move to track satellites.
-The entire idea of any real time mechanical tracking whatsoever, even coarse tracking, is nonsensical. It would be simply incompatible with the ms level handover time required for continuous service. (This is necessary for gaming, which Musk has said the system is intended to handle.)

Planes do not generally fly through canyons, mountain passes, or between skyscrapers. While the additional work needed to allow connections on a plane is clearly doable, it would be nonsensical to waste money including that level of hardware on typical home user installations. I fully expect mobile capable terminals for cars, boats, etc. to eventually be available, but they will have inherent limitations, so this doesn't make much sense as part of an early market, certainly not the "put it on all Teslas" that some have proposed. The tests with planes so far have been for the military, which likely is willing to pay relatively significant amounts to help with the development and integration of such capability.

Offline rakaydos

• Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #19 on: 02/11/2020 06:40 pm »
Use a drone to duck tape the "ufo stick" to the crown of the trees, perhaps?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography