Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2965042 times)

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #400 on: 01/03/2015 04:53 am »
Apologies if this has been brought up already, Surely parking a rocket next to a cruise ship would require zoning? I have been trying to find something/anything on possible legislature or zoning laws so we can better get an idea of the scope. Can anyone use their googlefu to find something? My googlefu is not working today, best I found was http://www.spaceflorida.gov/docs/spaceport-ops/florida-spaceport-systems-plan-2013_final.pdf?sfvrsn=2 but does not mention Jacksonville in regards to SpaceX.

I found this also -

http://www.jacksonvilleor.us/CityDocs/Planning/20+-+Title+17+Zoning.pdf

Also this..

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2014-11-13/story/barge-port-planned-former-paper-mill-site-st-marys

This last one has me wondering though..

John C

What would be worse than zoning would be the HOA.  Woe to them if they violate the neighborhood color scheme!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline PhilW

Strange. Appears the Carnaval Fascination web cams are no longer available on line.

Offline Grandpa to Two

I suggested nest but gauntlet makes more sense. Elon released his falcon which flew, eventually returning to his gauntlet. Later Elon arranged for the bird to be returned to his mews.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them" Galileo Galilei

Online Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #403 on: 01/03/2015 09:03 am »
Strange. Appears the Carnaval Fascination web cams are no longer available on line.

Looks that way to me, too.  And not just the front one, but neither are available, now.  Shame.

Both tugs still in Jacksonville port, and Fascination now heading for the mouth of the river for docking this morning.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline PhilW

Strange. Appears the Carnival Fascination web cams are no longer available on line.

Looks that way to me, too.  And not just the front one, but neither are available, now.  Shame.

Both tugs still in Jacksonville port, and Fascination now heading for the mouth of the river for docking this morning.
Found another Carnival Fascination web cam feed:
http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-fascination/cameras
Fascination is entering the river. Soon to dock beside GauntletX.

Offline Joel

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #405 on: 01/03/2015 09:37 am »

Because SpX engineers know about the Inversion issue, their grid fin flight control software should be able to compensate for it and still maintain the desired F9 attitude control capability.
  Huh?  I thought that there was no control inversion issue with grid fins (non-linear behavior yes, but still “forward”) unless there was a secondary reason, such as when the wake of the grid fins acts on another surface of the vehicle.?.  I’m definitely not authoritative enough to say that for fact but I want to swing that out there as bait to see if we can get someone with a solid background to put this to bed (or not).

I didn't follow the above discussion in detail but I can imagine that modelling the physics becomes more challenging if you want to allow flow reversal. Numerical stability requires you to use an upwind scheme, cf. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upwind_scheme. This is relevant both for a high fidelity model for simulation/validation and for a simplified model used by a controller and/or state estimator. Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #406 on: 01/03/2015 09:52 am »
I was all set recording the feed woke up to find its gone THANKS for new link PhilW. And  I think we need 'Name the Barge thread"  ;D

EDIT: Updating every minute. If you open image in separate tab and 'refresh' it updates every refresh. So this way is faster than previous 30sec or 1 min refresh rate :D
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 03:33 pm by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline PhilW

I was all set recording the feed wake to find its gone THANKS for new link PhilW. And  I think we need 'Name the Barge thread"  ;D

EDIT: Updating every minute. If you open image in separate tab and 'refresh' it updates every refresh. So this way is faster than previous 30sec or 1 min refresh rate :D
Nice find.

Online cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 10427
« Reply #408 on: 01/03/2015 10:37 am »
It's there!!! webcam updates every ~7 sec
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 10:39 am by cartman »

Offline PhilW

Nice.
Best luck the web cam is still there when GauntletX returns with F9 secured to the deck / glove. ;)
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 10:53 am by PhilW »

Online cartman

• Greece
« Reply #410 on: 01/03/2015 11:11 am »
Here is a video from the arrival of Carnival Fascination

Offline Misha Vargas

There's at least 5–6 people hangin' out, scurrying on and around the barge.

Online cartman

• Greece
« Reply #412 on: 01/03/2015 12:32 pm »
I can see people moving about the other ships as well, so I believe they are preparing to leave port.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #413 on: 01/03/2015 03:45 pm »
Nice.
Best luck the web cam is still there when GauntletX returns with F9 secured to the deck / glove. ;)
There will also be a bridge view, I hope people will be there with cameras.

From the ship cam, we might see the crane work though!
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 03:45 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline PhilW

Container doors are open. Prep for departure? Go Quest will need 2 move 1st, so ElsBeth III can attach to GauntletX.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #415 on: 01/03/2015 04:16 pm »

Thanks, cartman.

Does anyone have the programs and ability to keep a screen capture program running to capture every frame (whether 30 s or 7s) so that we might later be able to see and analyze a departure video for ASDS, GoQuest and Elsbeth III?  Watching the prep, no. of people visible on board, etc.
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #416 on: 01/03/2015 04:20 pm »

Thanks, cartman.

Does anyone have the programs and ability to keep a screen capture program running to capture every frame (whether 30 s or 7s) so that we might later be able to see and analyze a departure video for ASDS, GoQuest and Elsbeth III?  Watching the prep, no. of people visible on board, etc.

I have been using a python script to capture every 7 seconds. And reddit user 'doersino' is recording and  releases mp4 and jpegs.

http://tmp.hejnoah.com/webcam_dl/carnival_fascination/

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #417 on: 01/03/2015 04:28 pm »

Nice.

Stop making up your own names for things. Just stop it.

Offline PhilW

Thrusters are being tested / run up.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #419 on: 01/03/2015 05:15 pm »
All I have seen so far is lot of activity in/out/top of containers and deck cleaning...and random huddles over deck...I don't think they did anything to thrusters so far :P
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 05:16 pm by Ohsin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography