Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 287734 times)

Offline Bubbinski

For what it's worth I checked Spaceflightnow.com's launch schedule and it still shows Thaicom as on for the 26th. No recent tweets about it from Elon or SpaceX either. But kennedyspacecenter.com shows the next launch in 17 days and being the D4H, shows only the Osiris Rex as the next one after that.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
Re: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #41 on: 05/18/2016 10:06 am »
Which is the most reliable source most of the time?
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #42 on: 05/18/2016 10:26 am »
Which is the most reliable source most of the time?

I'd say SpaceX's Facebook posting on Monday, saying next launch in about 10 days, is more reliable.

As we know SpaceX launches can slip a small number of days until quite close to the launch but clearly SpaceX think they're pretty much on track. Maybe there's a day or so of slip that prompted the KSC web update, but Chris usually hears about such things and no updates from him yet.

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 758
« Reply #43 on: 05/18/2016 12:57 pm »
KSC visitor center removed the launch from their schedule. I asked them why on tweeter, no reply yet. I am not sure they would be authorized to discuss this publicly even if they knew something. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Here is what KSC Visitor Center replied to my question.

https://twitter.com/explorespaceksc/status/732893554285129728
ExploreSpaceKSC: @tleski @TheFavoritist SpaceX has not confirmed official date. We're waiting to hear.

« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 12:58 pm by tleski »

Offline Toastmastern

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #44 on: 05/18/2016 01:12 pm »
KSC visitor center removed the launch from their schedule. I asked them why on tweeter, no reply yet. I am not sure they would be authorized to discuss this publicly even if they knew something. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Here is what KSC Visitor Center replied to my question.

https://twitter.com/explorespaceksc/status/732893554285129728
ExploreSpaceKSC: @tleski @TheFavoritist SpaceX has not confirmed official date. We're waiting to hear.

Makes sense since we haven't heard anything other then around 10 days from SpaceX and this means that ExploreSpaceKSC hasn't heard anything we haven't which is a good thing in my mind :)

//Toastmastern

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #45 on: 05/18/2016 02:18 pm »
from update thread

Static Fire is May 22 on the last schedule update. Will keep an eye on any changes (as always). We're still at May 26 NET until I'm sent an updated schedule showing a change.

The Range is currently under pre-scheduled maintenance of course. There may be rumors and such in the meantime, but we have the discussion thread for that. A documented change will go in here so that people planning to go to this launch - who usually have this thread on "notification" get to know about it.

So the eastern range is also under maintenance?

Offline Toastmastern

« Reply #46 on: 05/18/2016 02:29 pm »
from update thread

Static Fire is May 22 on the last schedule update. Will keep an eye on any changes (as always). We're still at May 26 NET until I'm sent an updated schedule showing a change.

The Range is currently under pre-scheduled maintenance of course. There may be rumors and such in the meantime, but we have the discussion thread for that. A documented change will go in here so that people planning to go to this launch - who usually have this thread on "notification" get to know about it.

Yea until the 27th officially but I don't think we are 100% sure that they need all that time. If things run smoothly they might be able to open up the range earlier and that might be what SpaceX are waiting for. To see if all the maintance goes as planned.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 03:19 pm by Toastmastern »

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #47 on: 05/18/2016 05:13 pm »
from update thread

Yea until the 27th officially but I don't think we are 100% sure that they need all that time. If things run smoothly they might be able to open up the range earlier and that might be what SpaceX are waiting for. To see if all the maintance goes as planned.
Can they still do the static fire if the range is closed?

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #48 on: 05/18/2016 05:15 pm »
Are range assists needed for a static fire?

edit: ninja'd
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 05:15 pm by Mike_1179 »

Offline Toastmastern

« Reply #49 on: 05/18/2016 05:50 pm »
from update thread

Can they still do the static fire if the range is closed?

I've never heard them scrub a static fire due to range issues

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #50 on: 05/18/2016 06:52 pm »

it isn't a scrub, it is a postponement.  Scrubs only occur once in a countdown.  And yes, static fires require range assets.

Offline Toastmastern

« Reply #51 on: 05/18/2016 07:21 pm »

it isn't a scrub, it is a postponement.  Scrubs only occur once in a countdown.  And yes, static fires require range assets.

Yea I meant as a range scrub during the countdown.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #52 on: 05/18/2016 08:18 pm »

Do they require some but not as many as a launch? All the same assets? It varies by provider because "It depends on the fidelity" of the static fire to the actual mission? Something else?

If less, what kind of assets do they require? Thanks!
« Last Edit: 05/18/2016 08:18 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #53 on: 05/19/2016 11:22 pm »
A static fire is a launch without a launch. Since its a launch, it requires the range assets, as they are an integral part of a launch.

Offline rpapo

This is 21 nmi away from its position for the JCSAT-14 landing.
Closer, or further?  As we saw from JCSAT, even four miles makes a significant difference in how hot the reentry can be.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #55 on: 05/20/2016 10:18 am »
But which ones specifically? Tracking antennas, FTS equipment, patrols to tell people to get their boats out of there?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #56 on: 05/20/2016 10:18 am »
This is 21 nmi away from its position for the JCSAT-14 landing.
Closer, or further?  As we saw from JCSAT, even four miles makes a significant difference in how hot the reentry can be.

Thaicom-8 ASDS position is about 10 nmi farther from the Cape, and 11 nmi from its JCSAT-14 position. Earlier post on Updates thread now edited with corrections.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2016 11:24 am by Kabloona »

Offline alang

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #57 on: 05/20/2016 12:03 pm »
Do we know for a fact to what extent thrust is directly opposite to the direction of travel on reentry? It could be they are experimenting with various angles of thrust to change the path of the stage so it slows down in different density air.
Intuitively it seems to me that the kind of aerodynamic angle of attack that would keep the stage higher is also the kind of angle that would be more suitable for reducing horizontal velocity by the engines, so these two effects could work in difficult combinations.
This must have been discussed at length on this site.

Edit: removed quote.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2016 12:08 pm by alang »

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #58 on: 05/20/2016 10:26 pm »
A static fire is a launch without a launch. Since its a launch, it requires the range assets, as they are an integral part of a launch.
A static fire is not the same as a dress rehearsal or simulation. Clearance is needed for any hazardous operation but I have never heard of the actual range assets required for a launch being also required for a static fire.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #59 on: 05/21/2016 05:25 am »
A static fire is not the same as a dress rehearsal or simulation. Clearance is needed for any hazardous operation but I have never heard of the actual range assets required for a launch being also required for a static fire.

Well, Jim just said otherwise above.  But in addition, there are NTMs posted for the static fires and area clearances.  Plus, I believe you're wrong about it not being a "dress rehearsal".  Part of the reason SpaceX is doing them is to make sure that everything is online and in working order in preparation for the launch attempt.  They may not be actively using the range assets, but I would bet the assets get their check-out done just like they would in the launch countdown.  Plus it gives the personnel an additional opportunity to train for their mission.  Why wouldn't they use it?  Anyways, as an uninvolved observer, I'll leave it to one of the posters with firsthand knowledge to give a definitive answer (I'm taking Jim's as such).
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography