Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201525 times)

Offline bilbo

• Ground control to Major tom...
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1840 on: 07/12/2014 04:31 am »
I heard that Elon was asking when you guys will be done with the restoration of the CRS-3 first stage landing video in High Definition. And the audio wasn't yet up to Dolby surround sound quality, but it was close.  ;)

Chris - You may want to let SpaceX know that their link to the restoration video is pointing to a private video (just see static).

Take a look at the following URL: http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/04/29/first-stage-landing-video

This is the URL they are using for the restoration video on the above page: 

BAH, Oh well...  I think we all have seen it enough times to get the picture.
if any of us really wanna see it, link to landing restorations final video.

Very proud of all of you for restoring video. Would Have loved to help, but never knew how to restore video, or deal with computers or code so I lost that battle.

P.S. Great job, really jealous of you guys!

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1841 on: 07/13/2014 02:33 pm »
Just thought I'd share what I've been working on recently.  GLCM texture analysis.  By calculating the grey comatrix and properties of each 8x8 pixel subblock, you can see the abnormalities caused by faulty DCT texture values.  A picture's worth more than a thousand technical terms, I've attached examples of i frame 3 and 10, and texture data from frame 3 before thresholding. 

Unsolved problems:  The highlighted blocks on frames 3 and 10 are thresholded at 60% and 80% respectively, and yet it still picks up valid features in frame 10; waves, legs, edge of the rocket body, and fails to highlight a number of obvious texture errors.  Comparing to a local average should get better results.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #1843 on: 07/17/2014 02:45 pm »
The video is still not on wiki here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Falcon_9_booster_post-mission,_controlled-descent,_test_program

SpaceX would need to license the original with terms compatible with Wikipedia. Chris asked them but I don't think it went anywhere.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #1844 on: 07/17/2014 03:12 pm »
The video is still not on wiki here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Falcon_9_booster_post-mission,_controlled-descent,_test_program

SpaceX would need to license the original with terms compatible with Wikipedia. Chris asked them but I don't think it went anywhere.

I work for Wikipedia.  I'd be interested in helping this discussion progress, if there's anything I can do.

Note that images uploaded to English wikipedia must fall under one of four categories:
Own work: You own all rights to the image, usually meaning that you created it entirely yourself.
Freely licensed: You can prove that the copyright holder has released the image under an acceptable free license. Note that images that are licensed for use only on Wikipedia, or only for non-commercial or educational use, or under a license that doesn't allow for the creation of modified/derived works, are unsuitable.
Public domain: You can prove that the image is in the public domain, i.e. free of all copyrights.
Fair use: You believe that the image meets the special conditions for non-free content, which exceptionally allow the use of unlicensed material, and you can provide an explicit non-free use rationale explaining why and how you intend to use it.

Although I'd love to see SpaceX release the material into the public domain or under a free license (since they did post it on youtube, etc), we may be able to proceed under fair use as well.  The [Wikipedia content policy](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NFC#Policy_2) appears to permit this; in particular the "previous publication" policy appears to hold.

Wikipedia in general prefers Ogg Theora and WebM formats for video, and limits uploads to 100M.  Considering the fact that the original MPEG encoding is actually significant to the context of the file, there might be an exception here.

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #1845 on: 07/17/2014 04:00 pm »
Wikipedia in general prefers Ogg Theora and WebM formats for video, and limits uploads to 100M.  Considering the fact that the original MPEG encoding is actually significant to the context of the file, there might be an exception here.

I don't think there is a problem changing the output video format, since the repaired video was generated from a stack of images and not directly from the original stream.

I converted it into WebM (VP8 codec) and OGG (Theora codec) containers (attached zip). Somehow my VLC player cuts the first 2 seconds of the OGG movie, I don't know why (it plays correctly on firefox though). WebM version is playing correctly and looks good. Source file is here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1218099#msg1218099
« Last Edit: 07/17/2014 04:08 pm by SwissCheese »

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #1846 on: 07/17/2014 08:44 pm »

In the meantime perhaps just an external link to the YouTube page containing the final release?

"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Chris Bergin

There's your 400,000 views. That's another 8,000-10,000 views since the last post, showing a lot of people are still catching up or re-reading this amazing thread.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1848 on: 07/28/2014 11:32 am »
The repaired video is used in this YouTube mashup on the OG2 mission, very nicely done video.

Offline Chris Bergin

Funny how the restored video is still the best of the two, so that was a good idea to mix the footage for a full profile.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #1850 on: 07/29/2014 09:53 pm »
The repaired video is used in this YouTube mashup on the OG2 mission, very nicely done video.

Great job by Greg Alexander, the fellow who did the edit and placed this mashup on YouTube!

If someone familiar with YouTube media knowledge knows how to contact the guy, we ought to invite him to join NSF.  His kind of work would be appreciated over here.
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Great job by Greg Alexander, the fellow who did the edit and placed this mashup on YouTube!

If someone familiar with YouTube media knowledge knows how to contact the guy, we ought to invite him to join NSF.  His kind of work would be appreciated over here.

Done

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #1852 on: 07/29/2014 10:12 pm »
we ought to invite him to join NSF.  His kind of work would be appreciated over here.

I guess it's kind of late for that. He's the one that originally posted it to NSF

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35243.msg1235074#msg1235074

Offline GregA

• Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #1854 on: 07/29/2014 11:54 pm »

Thanks Llian. As others said above, I posted it here first actually. I just didn't want to cross post to multiple threads. :)

(Iain, I didn't receive any message via Youtube, did you send one? It's my first uploaded vid so might be missing something)

I started with a video using the animation launch merged to the orbcomm descent, with side by side of the shorter CRS repaired video...  and then got carried away. Combining footage can really improve the narrative of a video, though obviously all credit has to go to SpaceX who made all these great sources/videos in the first place... plus you all at NSF for the repair which is beyond my skill set!

I did some small visual clean ups too, mainly
* dropped the loud crackle of the Orbcomm launch,
* removed the transmission glitch in the middle of the internal cam of stage1 separation - there actually hadn't been any lost frames, just a pause with the error message, which surprised me
* slight zoom towards the attitude jets (?) on stage 2 to draw attention to the first manoeuvring of the returning stage
* cropped out the bottom of the repaired and iced videos. This made them 16:9, but also since the restored video's colouring changes slightly at each I-frame, the larger rocket body's colouring drew the viewers eyes away from the more interesting aspects (water and legs) which were the objective of this version.

BTW I agree the repaired video done by everyone here is clearer than the perfectly transmitted icey video!

edit: changed restore/repair naming
« Last Edit: 07/29/2014 11:55 pm by GregA »

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #1855 on: 07/30/2014 12:34 am »
Is it still on YouTube? I can't find it with a search and the links here are broken. Something about "WMG content."
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 888
« Reply #1856 on: 07/30/2014 12:59 am »
Is it still on YouTube? I can't find it with a search and the links here are broken. Something about "WMG content."
I was going to share the link on facebook, and youtube warns "This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing." so perhaps Greg needs to change a setting??
David

Offline GregA

« Reply #1857 on: 07/30/2014 01:07 am »
I got a note on the Youtube saying the audio was unlicensed. The Youtube information said the owner might just put ads on, and then I noticed ads on it so figured it was fine.

Hmmm.. and it's still working for me. Might be removed in US. I'll make one without the audio...

Offline GregA

« Reply #1858 on: 07/30/2014 01:14 am »
"This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing." so perhaps Greg needs to change a setting??
Ahh I just listed it that way. It's a choice of Public, Private, or Unlisted - and I was just doing something for interest here :)

Will still make one without the audio... and if it's been removed in the US then I do need to. Can anyone else confirm (since it works in Australia).

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #1859 on: 07/30/2014 01:59 am »
Ok, I just tried it and it works via the embedded screen in the forum on my Linux box, but wasn't working on my iPhone through Tapatalk - I thought that something else was going on since I couldn't find it with a search either. Sorry for the false alarm.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography