Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 421 - MMS - March 12/13, 2015 (02:44 UTC/10:44 pm Eastern)  (Read 119152 times)

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Atlas V 421 - MMS (4x) - March 13, 2015
« Reply #20 on: 02/16/2015 02:18 am »
4 Sats dispenser?

This is an interesting mission to watch.

no dispenser, just four satellites connected together

Basically very similar to how RBSP did it I'm guessing. Except four of them. 

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #21 on: 02/16/2015 04:48 pm »
4 Sats dispenser?

I thought the Radiation Belt Storm Probes (RBSP) were now the Van Allen Probes (VAP).
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #22 on: 02/16/2015 05:07 pm »
Can someone remind me of how to get a pass to view the launch?

I am planning to be in Florida for Spring Training in the middle of March.

« Last Edit: 02/16/2015 05:07 pm by Danderman »

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #23 on: 02/16/2015 05:31 pm »
4 Sats dispenser?

I thought the Radiation Belt Storm Probes (RBSP) were now the Van Allen Probes (VAP).

I'm sure you're right about the naming. I honestly haven't followed them since launch  :-[

I just remember them being stacked on top of each other and having multiple separations, similar to MMS (and maybe the Boeing 702SP??)

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: 02/17/2015 02:38 pm »

The orbits:  "MMS will have two different orbits around Earth for two different mission phases. The first phase of the mission has an orbit that comes to 1,600 miles (2,550 km) altitude at its closest approach to Earth and at its farthest, extends out to 43,500 miles (70080 km).

My understanding is that the inclination will be near equatorial.  I'm wondering if this will be a three-burn Centaur mission.

- Ed Kyle
If it's a three burn mission, it might be a really long one, assuming the normal sequence:  (1) get to parking orbit, (2) after arriving at equator, burn to hit apogee, (3) at apogee, raise perigee and reduce inclination.

But since even the initial apogee is higher than GTO, it takes longer to get there.  Back of the envelope says 12 hours between burns (2) and (3), as opposed to the 6 hours of dropping a satellite off in GEO.

Or maybe the Centaur does the usual, and the satellite does the rest.  I have no idea....

Centaur first burn will be in the neighborhood of 9 min. The second burn will be close to 6 min. There is no third burn.

edit: Inclination is 28.75*
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 02:46 pm by Kim Keller »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7400
  • Likes Given: 72464
« Reply #25 on: 02/17/2015 07:05 pm »
The ULA hyperlink to the mission booklet is working (again)!
http://www.ulalaunch.com/uploads/docs/Mission_Booklets/AV/av_mms_mob.pdf
Interesting content as always!

One note from the booklet:  The satellite releases will take place near the completion of the first orbit, as they traverse near and over the continental USA.  (However, tracking and data relay of spacecraft(s) separations will be via TDRSS?)

Zubenelgenubi
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 07:06 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #26 on: 02/17/2015 07:26 pm »
Centaur first burn will be in the neighborhood of 9 min. The second burn will be close to 6 min. There is no third burn.

edit: Inclination is 28.75*
OK, so the satellites do the rest.  The fine details of those maneuvers must be interesting, since the satellites are supposed to fly in formation somehow.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 07:27 pm by edkyle99 »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8790
  • Likes Given: 7818
« Reply #27 on: 02/19/2015 05:42 pm »
NASA | MMS Mission Overview

Published on Feb 19, 2015
Senior Project Scientist Tom Moore outlines the three instrument suites onboard the four MMS spacecraft.

On March 12, 2015, NASA plans to launch the Magnetospheric Multiscale, or MMS, mission. MMS consists of four identical spacecraft that will orbit around Earth through the dynamic magnetic system surrounding our planet to study a little-understood phenomenon called magnetic reconnection.

Watch NASA's new movie to learn more about MMS and the phenomenon of magnetic reconnection, which occurs near Earth, on the sun, in other stars and in the vicinity of black holes and neutron stars.

The Magnetiospheric Multiscale, or MMS, mission will provide unprecedented detail on a phenomenon called magnetic reconnection, which happens throughout the universe and can accelerate particles up to nearly the speed of light.

Learn more about MMS at http://www.nasa.gov/MMS

This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?10204

Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/iTunes/f...

Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NASA.GSFC

Or find us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/NASAGoddard

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8790
  • Likes Given: 7818
« Reply #28 on: 02/19/2015 05:44 pm »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #29 on: 02/19/2015 08:51 pm »
Magnetospheric Multiscale Observatories Processed for Launch

http://www.nasa.gov/content/magnetospheric-multiscale-observatories-processed-for-launch/#.VOYu2vnF-kG

Jim is that a semi custom "draping', shown on the left shroud?   Does that keep vibration down for this mission or other?  It's different from other designs.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #30 on: 02/19/2015 09:46 pm »

Jim is that a semi custom "draping', shown on the left shroud?   Does that keep vibration down for this mission or other?  It's different from other designs.

It is acoustic blankets and it is standard for this type of fairing

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #31 on: 02/19/2015 09:47 pm »
Magnetospheric Multiscale Observatories Processed for Launch

http://www.nasa.gov/content/magnetospheric-multiscale-observatories-processed-for-launch/#.VOYu2vnF-kG

Unfortunately, the spacecraft still has covers on the solar arrays and instruments

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 02/24/2015 04:07 am »
MEDIA ADVISORY M15-030
NASA Hosts Media Briefing on Mission to Study Dynamic Magnetic System Around Earth

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/february/nasa-hosts-media-briefing-on-mission-to-study-dynamic-magnetic-system-around/

NASA will hold a media briefing at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 25, to discuss an upcoming mission to study magnetic reconnection around Earth, a fundamental process throughout the universe where magnetic fields connect and disconnect explosively releasing energy.

The briefing, held at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St. SW in Washington, will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website.

Called the Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission, the project will help scientists understand the process of magnetic reconnection, which can accelerate particles up to nearly the speed of light.  By studying reconnection near Earth, MMS will help scientists understand reconnection in the atmosphere of the sun and other stars, in the vicinity of black holes and neutron stars, and at the boundary between our solar system’s heliosphere and interstellar space.

The mission consists of four identical spacecraft that will provide the first three-dimensional view of magnetic reconnection. Launch is scheduled for 10:44 p.m. March 12, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

The briefing participants are:

•Jeff Newmark, interim director, Heliophysics Division, NASA Headquarters in Washington
•Jim Burch, principal investigator, MMS Instrument Suite, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio
•Craig Tooley, MMS Project Manager, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland
•Paul Cassak, associate professor, West Virginia University, Morgantown     

Media who want to participate by phone must send an email providing their name, affiliation and telephone number to [email protected] by noon Wednesday.

Media and the public also may ask questions during the briefing on Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.

For more information about the MMS mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mms

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and updated scheduling information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

-end-
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #33 on: 02/25/2015 07:38 am »
February 24, 2015

UPDATE -- NASA Reschedules MMS Briefing to 3 p.m. EST Feb. 25

NASA has rescheduled to 3 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 25, a briefing on an upcoming mission to study magnetic reconnection around the Earth, a fundamental process that occurs throughout the universe where magnetic fields connect and disconnect explosively releasing energy.
Jacques :-)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: 02/25/2015 07:08 pm »
MMS media briefing has begun!

(I missed Jeff Newmark's opening remarks.)

The briefing participants are reading their prepared statements.

Particular mention was made by Jim Burch about probing the diffusion region of the Earth's magnetic field for the initiation of field reconnection--for the first time.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2015 07:42 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: 02/25/2015 07:24 pm »
Craig Tooley speaks to the launch, followed by deployment of the various booms and the quartet formation flying, using video.

Paul Cassak uses another CGI video to demonstrate magnetic field reconnection.  Solar field lines break and reconnect when encountering the Earth's magnetosphere on the sunward side of Earth's field.  Field lines break and reconnect in the Earth's magnetotail trailing away from the Sun.

Previous spatial resolution 600 km separation (this was ESA's Cluster?).  MMS spatial resolution is 10 km (with separation maintained within 100 m).

Time resolution is 100x better than any previous mission's.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #36 on: 02/25/2015 07:26 pm »
Since this appears to be a night launch, what is the best option to get closest to the launch pad?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: 02/25/2015 07:29 pm »
Q&A
One question about the length of the mission, but confusing satellites with "shuttles."

Another question asking about MMS connection to recently-launched SMAP (there really isn't).

Question about how the formation of 4 MMS craft will be maintained--by GPS measurements, even though the MMS orbits are (mostly? all the time?) above GPS satellite altitude.  They will get enough signal from GPS satellite side-lobe transmission.

MMS nominal mission?--2 years.  Extended mission could be possible.  Also questioning the radiation environment MMS will be orbiting in.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 02/25/2015 07:40 pm »
Question about other planets with magnetic fields--Mercury, Jupiter, and Saturn mentioned in reply.

Another question--mention given to Cluster and THEMIS.

Instrument measurements are not necessarily tied to the spin rate of MMS craft.  They will be spinning slower than (most? all?) previous magnetic measurement satellites.

Question and answer about using Earth's magnetic field to understand black holes' magnetic fields.

What about using MMS data to understand space weather?  Data will be use to improve modeling of space weather.  These new observations are expected to prove or disprove current theories, because magnetic reconnection is currently understood relatively poorly.  An analogy is used--sea-faring drove the betterment of weather forecasting; thus space-faring is driving the improvement of space weather forecasting.

There are the brief closing statements, and it's over!

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #39 on: 02/25/2015 08:06 pm »
Since this appears to be a night launch, what is the best option to get closest to the launch pad?

+1. I'm going to the KSC to watch this launch (first one for me & family). Any recommendations will be welcomed!
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography