Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169752 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #160 on: 10/18/2018 07:59 pm »
Sorry Chris, that was the forum, I'm guessing under a minute.

Copy that! We'll check out what caused it. Thanks!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #161 on: 10/18/2018 08:42 pm »
Possible feature suggestion: WEBM embeds/upload. WEBMs are similar to Gifs, but can contain sound. They are popular on a wide variety of forums.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #162 on: 10/19/2018 10:00 pm »
The adverts I see on this website are way to inappropriate. I do not need an arab or thai friend. How do I stop this distressing nonsense?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #163 on: 10/19/2018 10:14 pm »
The adverts I see on this website are way to inappropriate. I do not need an arab or thai friend. How do I stop this distressing nonsense?

You should be able to close them with the X, but I would suggest you use adblocker in your browser as you're a L2 member and you shouldn't have to see any ads.

That one ad placement (the rest are set ads - and obviously not the ones you're talking about) is Adwords. It's supposed to be based on your location and your browser (per cookies and such every site leaves in your browser). A bit like how Amazon knows to display PC hardware ads if you've been recently shopping for PC stuff.

I have told Mark about some clearly pointless ads (and in your case, totally inappropriate ads) getting through per other people mentioning it (most will never see them I'm guessing or there would be a riot), but I would say Adwords' way of targetting the right ads is completely broken and I want adwords replaced with something else on the site, make no mistake about it - as it's literally like placing s--t on the page. Trust me, I'm angry about this as this started months (if not years) ago. It should be replaced with a better provider.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2018 10:22 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #164 on: 10/24/2018 01:23 pm »
We're aware the forum is being a bit slow right now. Doesn't go down, but sometimes you have to wait a few seconds for the next page you click on to load. Mark is working on it.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #165 on: 10/24/2018 01:39 pm »
Should be back to full speed again. A lot of you wouldn't have noticed it unless - like me - you run around the forum like a crazy man, but was worth noting. Please post on this thread if you notice it return.....making sure it's the forum and not you going under a tunnel or something! :)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #166 on: 11/14/2018 05:02 am »
I figure I should finally make a topic about this. The search function on this forum that uses date ranges is broken. If you try to change it from the default post age range you get:
An Error Has Occurred!
Unable to access the search daemon

I remember this happening since at least a year ago, maybe longer.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7403
  • Likes Given: 72477
« Reply #167 on: 11/23/2018 02:33 am »
Re: ads in the "footer"
Something has changed for the better; no longer seeing ads for overseas dating services, etc.

Thanks to Mark and Chris, and whomever else is responsible!
« Last Edit: 11/23/2018 02:35 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #168 on: 11/23/2018 02:28 pm »
Re: ads in the "footer"
Something has changed for the better; no longer seeing ads for overseas dating services, etc.

Thanks to Mark and Chris, and whomever else is responsible!

Great. Mark did some work on that to heavily filter to much tighter parameters. Glad it's working!

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #169 on: 11/23/2018 05:01 pm »
Hi Chris and Mark
It would be nice if you can add another button to the "Like" button - one that says "Don't Like".
For example if someone shares some unexpected or disturbing news, a major schedule slippage for example, there would be a way to say "I am not happy about this".
Chuck
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #170 on: 11/23/2018 05:14 pm »
Hi Chris and Mark
It would be nice if you can add another button to the "Like" button - one that says "Don't Like".
For example if someone shares some unexpected or disturbing news, a major schedule slippage for example, there would be a way to say "I am not happy about this".
Chuck

We tried that with the "Karma" system and it was pretty much a bad idea as you'd get X fans downvoting Y posts that never deserved to be downvoted and could be seen as not downvoting bad news, but downvoting the person passing it on.

So nope :)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #171 on: 11/23/2018 06:31 pm »
Hi Chris and Mark
Chuck

I use the "Like" button to thank people for posting useful news, regardless of whether the news is good or not.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #172 on: 11/26/2018 12:59 am »
It seems that when a thread is trimmed my current position in that thread (last read post) is pushed backwards, far into the territory of previously-read posts. Does anyone else experience this?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #173 on: 11/26/2018 01:23 am »
It seems that when a thread is trimmed my current position in that thread (last read post) is pushed backwards, far into the territory of previously-read posts. Does anyone else experience this?

Yes.  I think it has always worked that way.  (I assume it gets confused because your database entry for that thread is pointing to a post that doesn't exist anymore.)

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #174 on: 11/26/2018 05:39 pm »

Yes.  I think it has always worked that way.  (I assume it gets confused because your database entry for that thread is pointing to a post that doesn't exist anymore.)

That is precisely why one should not reply to an off topic post, especially by using the "Quote" button. When that post gets trimmed, that will change your post count. Instead the best thing to do is to report the post to the Moderators and let them handle it. Don't go down the rabbit hole with the OT poster.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #175 on: 11/27/2018 12:41 am »
I figure I should finally make a topic about this. The search function on this forum that uses date ranges is broken. If you try to change it from the default post age range you get:
An Error Has Occurred!
Unable to access the search daemon

I remember this happening since at least a year ago, maybe longer.

My topic was apparently deleted and the post moved here but got no responses. Is this going to be fixed?
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #176 on: 11/27/2018 06:06 pm »

Understood, thank you. My request, then, is that this be fixed if possible. In the interest of that allow me to share the behavior I have witnessed.

Example: I catch up fully on an update thread, reading it through to the very end. After a day or two I return to said thread and find my position has regressed by many posts – well into territory I had previously read. Following the already-read material I see a post from Chris noting the trim and admonishing us all to post reactions and replies in the appropriate discussion thread.

The relevant bit is this: before returning I had not read any of the trimmed posts. The discussion went awry and the trim occurred following the time of my last visit.

Were I to guess, the 'read position' is tracked based upon post number, and trims simply reduce that count by the number of posts removed. Again, a guess.

If there's any interest in addressing this behavior, I would be happy to assist.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #177 on: 11/29/2018 06:02 am »
Should the "Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover Section" section be renamed to something like "Mars Landers, Rovers and Orbital Missions"

The current section title seems over specific.

--- Tony

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #178 on: 11/29/2018 07:05 pm »
Should the "Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover Section" section be renamed to something like "Mars Landers, Rovers and Orbital Missions"

The current section title seems over specific.

--- Tony

Was just thinking about that! :)

I'll sort it out tonight.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #179 on: 12/05/2018 11:56 am »
The 'Novatech Measurements Load Cells' advert does not show. I just get a blank box, but it does click through.
Ref: https://www.novatechloadcells.co.uk

I am using Firefox 63.0.3 (64 bit)  on Windows 10 to view.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography