Author Topic: How to build a 'Space Hotel'  (Read 21046 times)

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
Re: How to build a 'Space Hotel'
« Reply #60 on: 04/20/2016 01:11 pm »
{snip}
How complex the amenities might be still vexes me. The idea of lotteries from Doug that could easily fund transport and a stay is great for the masses (since going to space isn't a need, but want in that case). I still feel that the people that pay an awful lot will still expect certain things even if they didn't think things through that some hotel amenities just won't work in space, even in low G (like, a swimming pool).

You can have a swimming pool in the rotating part of the spacestation.
In the centre section of the spacestation the 'surface' of the pool will be in the centre of the water. Something that weird may be a tourist attraction in its own right.
Zero G scuba diving may be fun. Use a water tank.

What's a minimum and maximum occupancy level for the first hotels to break-even, if not generate a profit, yet not create a monster structure that might not be paid off for years, I wonder?

This is a variable dependent on price. Try the formula

price$ = (sum of operating costs + capital cost/10 years + interest payments + tax + 10% profit) /  (number of visitors last year)

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #61 on: 04/20/2016 05:34 pm »
{snip}
How complex the amenities might be still vexes me. The idea of lotteries from Doug that could easily fund transport and a stay is great for the masses (since going to space isn't a need, but want in that case). I still feel that the people that pay an awful lot will still expect certain things even if they didn't think things through that some hotel amenities just won't work in space, even in low G (like, a swimming pool).

You can have a swimming pool in the rotating part of the spacestation.
In the centre section of the spacestation the 'surface' of the pool will be in the centre of the water. Something that weird may be a tourist attraction in its own right.
Zero G scuba diving may be fun. Use a water tank.

What's a minimum and maximum occupancy level for the first hotels to break-even, if not generate a profit, yet not create a monster structure that might not be paid off for years, I wonder?

This is a variable dependent on price. Try the formula

price$ = (sum of operating costs + capital cost/10 years + interest payments + tax + 10% profit) /  (number of visitors last year)

Someone left an illustration of that pool concept. I would not want to be the one that has to fill it or clean it. Heaven help matters if the spin stops. I'm not saying its not a novel idea, but public pools can be dicey even on Earth. As for the zero-G SCUBA, that doesn't seem to have as much an appeal when you consider that diving often involves going to look at something. What's going to be different about floating in water in 1G to floating in air or water in zero-G?

I "broke" my rule on speaking of numbers, but inevitably there's a cost factor to consider to keep something like this sustainable. Thanks for that formula.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Online sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #62 on: 04/21/2016 07:12 am »
It may be useful to have a design that can grow/scale over time. The initial hotel will be humble and basic, but eventually more and more will be added to it over time.

Perhaps one module will have a telescope, so that guests can take closer looks at the surface of the Earth, or the Moon, or Mars, or the stars. Perhaps another module will be an exercise gym. Perhaps another module will be a children's play area (if families take children on cruises and other expensive trips, then they may even want to take them to space.)

The bar may have to be kept non-alcoholic for safety purposes - and since nobody wants to deal with floating vomit.

A spinning section for artificial gravity may be nice to have in the long run, because of the health benefits. 1/5 G only needs 50m diameter. Imagine a pair of BA-330 or BA-2100 connected to each other by a 50m tube/corridor, spinning like a baton in space. In time, more spokes with habs on the end could be added.

Offline RobLynn

• Per Molestias Eruditio
  • NZ
  • Liked: 486
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #63 on: 04/29/2016 10:00 am »
A really cool thing about low-g scuba is no bends to contend with, little pressure equalisation required, reduced pressure-gradient means less buoyancy modification to do (probably wouldn't bother at all, as buoyancy forces themselves are proportional to gravity), and much less air tank volume needed.  Snorkelling could work with much longer snorkels.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography