Author Topic: NASA Update - July 21  (Read 19749 times)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
Re: NASA Update - July 21
« Reply #80 on: 07/21/2009 08:57 pm »
Current update on Bill Harwood's site has an interview with Bolden and Garver:
http://www.cbsnews.com/network/news/space/current.html

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #81 on: 07/21/2009 09:15 pm »
I respect Mr. Bolden for his career accomplishments.
I wish him all the best in the new job.
I have never seen anything like that (cry and hug a lot) but I hope it augurs well for NASA.
I miss Dr.Griffin's gravitas.

« Last Edit: 07/21/2009 09:22 pm by renclod »

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #82 on: 07/21/2009 09:16 pm »
I think Bolden and Garver both gave excellent responses in their hearings.   But I'm going to wait and let their actions speak for them before forming my opinions about them.

When Griffin came in, I remember being all excited and happy about his appointment.   But that was a horrible mistake.   I really don't want this to go a similar way.

At this stage, I'm simply going to say that I hope they are both "good hands" for the agency and that from the brief views I have seen so far, they have impressed me.   But they sure have one heckuva clean up job ahead of them!

I hope they can do it right.   I wish them both luck.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2009 09:18 pm by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #83 on: 07/21/2009 09:58 pm »
For the first time in a long time, I'm strategically optimistic and I think the current is starting to flow to the spark igniter of my excitement.  "I don't do feelings" has been replaced by "I'm a crier / I'm a hugger."  Not that I'm looking for that, it just nicely juxtaposes the potentially massive difference from the last 4 years.  If the tone he set today diffuses out to the whole Agency it could change things quite a bit.  I don't think anyone in NASA is 1960s-excited about Constellation.

I really hope people listen to his comment about not being excited every day and needing to find something else to do if that's the case.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 822
« Reply #84 on: 07/22/2009 01:46 am »
Bolden also mentioned that his former boss General James Jones, now the National Security Advisor, is running a review of all space programs, both military and civilian in order to come up with a national space policy. The other day there was also a recommendation from the National Academy of Sciences (I think) about NASA's science program in which General Lester Lyles, who is of course also a member of the Augustine commission, played a role. It looks as if space is quite important to the Obama administration and I wonder if it is significant that some of the key people involved are high-ranking military men.
Pro-tip: you don't have to be a jerk if someone doesn't agree with your theories

Offline seawolfe

• South of Seattle and east of Tacoma
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 4484
« Reply #85 on: 07/22/2009 02:10 am »
I once heard from a former Marine that there are no "ex-marines".  Former Marines or retired Marines maybe, but they are still Marines to the core.  Charlie fits that persona too.

This is VERY true!  I was in the Core in the '70's and still remember it as yesterday!  There are NO ex-Marines... it's sort of a brotherhood you never leave.   ;D

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #86 on: 07/22/2009 03:53 am »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2009/07/21/national/a120046D63.DTL

NASA boss: Astronauts on Mars in his lifetime

Bolden said in an interview that his main job over the next few months will be to champion an "agreed-upon compromise strategy to get first to Mars and then beyond. And we don't have that yet."

"I did grow up watching Buck Rogers, and Buck Rogers didn't stop at Mars," Bolden said in an interview with The Associated Press. "In my lifetime, I will be incredibly disappointed if we have not at least reached Mars."
« Last Edit: 07/22/2009 03:54 am by marsavian »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #87 on: 07/22/2009 04:01 am »
Wasn't there something about Charlie's meeting with Obama where the Pres said no or no comment on Mars? Seems like I read that somewhere, NW IIRC.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Star-Drive

• TX/USA
  • Liked: 1031
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #88 on: 07/22/2009 04:17 am »
You also have to note Bolden's comment today during his first NASA TV talk that the agency could NOT continue down the current path it was going down.  And he said that several times in his summation at the end of his talk with Lori Garver.  Things are going to be changing at NASA come next fiscal year, hopefully for the better...
Star-Drive

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #89 on: 07/22/2009 04:45 pm »
I once heard from a former Marine that there are no "ex-marines".  Former Marines or retired Marines maybe, but they are still Marines to the core.  Charlie fits that persona too.

This is VERY true!  I was in the Core in the '70's and still remember it as yesterday!  There are NO ex-Marines... it's sort of a brotherhood you never leave.   ;D

Just a reminder, just because he is a hugger/crier doesn't mean that he will hesitate for a second before kicking butt. He is a Marine, he has dealt with life and death decisions and mealy mouthed, butt covering, space filling, time wasters are going to get their heads handed to them. Something that is long over due at NASA IMO.
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography