Author Topic: Standardization on Mars ("Mars ISO")  (Read 5589 times)

Offline ChrML

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Standardization on Mars ("Mars ISO")
« Reply #20 on: 08/14/2018 04:09 am »
Mars will be built around a great need to save resources and be able to relocate stuff from place to place. Atleast in the first decades. Therefore there will probably be one door size, one type of door handle etc..

About units it would obviously be metric and probably follow the SI standard. There is no reason and an unnecessary risk to deviate from that and create new standards.

Power will most likely standardize on the voltage and type that is most convenient to produce and consume at the time of arrival. Maybe DC.

Seconds can't really change because of all dependencies on a second being a second. Mixing up that would be just as bad as distances. Easiest solution is most likely to add 37 min to every day, like clock ends at 24.36.59.999 instead of 23.59.59.999. There will probably be no need for analog watches as that would work a little strange. There is a need for the local time to match the Martian day/night cycle, or it would be very confusing for the martians. Converting to earth time is a matter of converting the timezone like we would today between GMT to UTC+3.
« Last Edit: 08/14/2018 04:11 am by ChrML »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #21 on: 08/14/2018 04:15 am »
Mars is a clean slate.  A chance to stop having so much confusion about units.  We can finally standardize on inches, feet, and miles and not have to worry about all this metric stuff that makes life more confusing.

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul Turkey and Santa Fe TEXAS USA
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 2095
« Reply #22 on: 08/14/2018 04:26 am »
Mars will be built around a great need to save resources and be able to relocate stuff from place to place. Atleast in the first decades. Therefore there will probably be one door size, one type of door handle etc..

About units it would obviously be metric and probably follow the SI standard. There is no reason and an unnecessary risk to deviate from that and create new standards.

Power will most likely standardize on the voltage and type that is most convenient to produce and consume at the time of arrival. Maybe DC.

Seconds can't really change because of all dependencies on a second being a second. Mixing up that would be just as bad as distances. Easiest solution is most likely to add 37 min to every day, like clock ends at 24.36.59.999 instead of 23.59.59.999. There will probably be no need for analog watches as that would work a little strange. There is a need for the local time to match the Martian day/night cycle, or it would be very confusing for the martians. Converting to earth time is a matter of converting the timezone like we would today between GMT to UTC+3.

many years/decades ago in Ad Astra Zubrin came up with a Mars time thing that unified the dates with the planets position ie fall stayed fall for a certain sky appearance of the stars and sun...it did require changing the second as he went to a 24 hour clock.  his argument was that any other civilization in the solar system probably has a unique "second" or "Uberton" as well.

when I wrote my Mars satellite and moon tracking program I "thought" about doing that but never did...

when I lived in the mideast..knowing the H day was important...so other calenders would not be "that" hard...

My "guess" would be that likely something would evolve that gives Mars a "complete day" with hour cycles...but who knows..
« Last Edit: 08/14/2018 05:57 am by TripleSeven »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #23 on: 08/14/2018 04:35 am »

many years/decades ago in Ad Astra Zubrin came up with a Mars time thing that unified the dates with the planets position ie fall stayed fall for a certain sky appearance of the stars and sun...it did require changing the second as he went to a 24 hour clock.  his argument was that any other civilization in the solar system probably has a unique "second" or "Uberton" as well.

when I wrote my Mars satellite and Moon tracking program I "thought" about doing that but never did...

when I lived in the mideast..knowing the H day was important...so other calenders would not be "that" hard...

My "guess" would be that likely something would evolve that gives Mars a "complete day" with hour cycles...but who knows..

Please take all discussions of timekeeping on Mars to this thread:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41556.0

Also, maybe read that thread before posting.  There is a lot of discussion of many issues related to timekeeping on Mars there.

Thanks.

Offline ChrML

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: 08/14/2018 04:51 am »
Mars is a clean slate.  A chance to stop having so much confusion about units.  We can finally standardize on inches, feet, and miles and not have to worry about all this metric stuff that makes life more confusing.
Trying not to start a war here. But there is not really any good argument to use imperial over metric. Imperial units are familiar to many because they grew up with it, but they are not practical. Clean state and all one kind of leaves the familiar just for old time sake behind when moving to Mars.

Gov organizations in America like NASA also has decides to go to metric, which makes pretty much the entire world uniform about it. For that reason I believe will most likely be the outcome.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #25 on: 08/14/2018 05:30 am »
Trying not to start a war here. But there is not really any good argument to use imperial over metric. Imperial units are familiar to many because they grew up with it, but they are not practical. Clean state and all one kind of leaves the familiar just for old time sake behind when moving to Mars.

Gov organizations in America like NASA also has decides to go to metric, which makes pretty much the entire world uniform about it. For that reason I believe will most likely be the outcome.

Imperial?  Who said anything about Imperial Units?  Those are madness.

I'm talking about nice, friendly U.S. customary units.  So much more character than metric.  Metric is a dull, monotonous system.  10, 10, 10, 10.  Always ten.  Never anything else.  Like block after block of soviet-era concrete apartment buildings in East Germany (where they always used the metric system).  Machines love metric.  Do we want our lives to be dictated by machines?  Always 10, with no room for any variety?

Life's just so much more interesting when you have 3's, 12's, and the occasional 5280 in your unit system, don't you think?

I'm not saying Earth has to use them.  But on Mars, they would liven things up.

Other planets and moons could use other systems.  I think cubits would be wonderful for Venus.

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul Turkey and Santa Fe TEXAS USA
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 2095
« Reply #26 on: 08/14/2018 05:59 am »
which one of the probes was it that the smart folks drove into the atmosphere because they used the wrong units?

Everyone year on Mars someone could be presented with an award named after that probe for "using the wrong units" :)

Offline jbenton

• Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 702
« Reply #27 on: 08/14/2018 07:59 am »
I think it was the Mars Climate Orbiter, part of the Mars Surveyor '98 program

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography