Author Topic: ISS on Google Street View  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Space Pete

ISS on Google Street View
« on: 07/21/2017 04:03 pm »
This is totally cool - the ISS (the real one, not just a ground mock-up) is now on Google Street View!

You can look around the inside of the entire ISS (including the Russian Segment) in its latest configuration, including inside BEAM, Dragon, and Cygnus.

I've been wanting an interactive 360 tour like this for ages. Thanks Google! :)

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5604556,-95.0854808,3a,75y,306.78h,83.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3OFiq36cp0IAAAQvxgbyIg!2e0!7i10000!8i5000
« Last Edit: 07/21/2017 04:06 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: ISS on Google Street View
« Reply #1 on: 07/21/2017 04:24 pm »
Cool! 8)  Easy place to lose direction in... ;D
« Last Edit: 07/21/2017 04:24 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/2017 05:48 pm »
Dubious a bit in that when you switch back to map view it seems to be in Houston. Still cool though
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Aragatz

• France
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 07/22/2017 08:31 am »
Thanks Google! :)
Ans thanks to my compatriot Thomas Pesquet who made almost 1700 photos of ISS for this !!! ;)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #4 on: 07/22/2017 12:23 pm »
Is it me, or.... I can only enter the Rassvett, Zarya and Zvesda modules of the Russian segment...

Would love to see Soyux, Progress and Poisk ass wel from the inside....
Jacques :-)

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #5 on: 07/22/2017 04:56 pm »
Is it me, or.... I can only enter the Rassvett, Zarya and Zvesda modules of the Russian segment...

Would love to see Soyux, Progress and Poisk ass wel from the inside....

Poisk is here: https://www.google.com/streetview/#international-space-station/poisk-mini-research-module-2 and Pirs is at https://www.google.com/streetview/#international-space-station/pirs-docking-compartment-1 (You can tell it and Pirs apart by that the red stripe Orlan suit is in Poisk)

There were multiple ISS video walkthroughs (notably one by Sunita Williams) which did show Soyuz and Progress - not sure why it wasn't included here.  :-\
« Last Edit: 07/22/2017 04:57 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #6 on: 07/22/2017 05:42 pm »
Love how you can clearly see how the crew quarters are placed and get a sense of the true layout.  The level of detail was amazing as I found myself actually counting the number and different types of cameras in the Russian and US segments.  I wonder if this will virtual walk-around will work in Google cardboard?
« Last Edit: 07/22/2017 08:50 pm by JazzFan »

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #7 on: 07/24/2017 05:28 pm »
Dubious a bit in that when you switch back to map view it seems to be in Houston. Still cool though

Understandable, though, given the software platform on which it is based.  It likely has to be anchored somewhere on the map.  It's also pretty clear that the platform was never designed for free movement in three dimensions -- again, completely understandable.

« Reply #8 on: 07/25/2017 01:38 am »
Really nice. Loved the detail.

Offline lando

• Italy
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: 07/26/2017 06:12 pm »
With a VR headset and a VR capable pc, is possible to install and launch "Mission: ISS" ( from Oculus store, but free to install and use ), and move and interact ( with free movement , go slowly if suffering from  motion sickness ) with items inside and outside the station. Probably already installed by every proper space-geek .... Here some videos on YouTube:
 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mission%3A+iss

p.s.
Its really easier to understand the problem of the noise/humming in the station, after trying this program...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography