Author Topic: Ideas for my spare time  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Risick

• Virginia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Ideas for my spare time
« on: 10/12/2016 05:56 pm »
So I graduated with an undergrad degree in information systems and operation management almost a year ago and currently work as a test engineer for a cable company. I really want to get into anything to do with space, and am able to learn most things fairly quickly. I have a lot of free time and hate spending it playing games or even reading, so I am looking for some kind of project that could both keep my attention and help me beef up my resume. I know a little java, self taught in python and ruby, I know unix/linux at a minimal level (would love to increase this skill), and know a little about networks and databases.

I honestly wish I could tell you a specific job title I would enjoy but honestly I find most things interesting, especially when being involved in space.  Any ideas are appreciated, and the more the better! :)

Thank you

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
Re: Ideas for my spare time
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/2016 06:11 pm »
Interesting discussion on this thread, most of the math is way above my pay grade. Several computer simulations are being run and many willing participants are able to provide guidance. Might be worth a look.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40959.msg1598145;boardseen#new
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline Risick

• Virginia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2016 07:36 pm »
Thanks D_Dom! That does look interesting, and I will spend some more time looking into that!

Also, after thinking a little more, I would like to add that I do really like the idea of GNC (Guidance, Navigation, Control) engineer, so anything that could potentially help me gain an upper hand in any of these positions would be awesome!

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2016 08:50 pm »
Can't spend the time searching but I have seen a thread detailing SpaceX software engineering practices. It contains excellent detail.
 For a sample of aerospace testing see this link,( found a few pages deep in the SpaceX general thread);
https://www.aiaa.org/uploadedFiles/Events/Conferences/2012_Conferences/2012-Complex-Aerospace-Systems-Exchange-Event/Detailed_Program/CASE2012_2-4_Muratore_presentation.pdf

Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography