Author Topic: Proposed Orbital ATK Solid Rocket  (Read 109970 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: Proposed Orbital ATK Solid Rocket
« Reply #220 on: 04/03/2017 08:28 pm »
Aren't ICBM's and Trident missiles fairly large solids?  I know the Shuttle solids were 12' in diameter or about 3.7m.  I also know some were 10' in diameter or a little over 3m in diameter from the Titan days.  I shouldn't have just said to keep the military production working.  I wasn't thinking about the SLS solids having some of the same components thus economy of scale to keep costs down.   
Missile motors in the US are limited around 92 inches maximum in diameter.

Offline Rummy

• CA
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #221 on: 04/03/2017 11:26 pm »
Aren't ICBM's and Trident missiles fairly large solids?  I know the Shuttle solids were 12' in diameter or about 3.7m.  I also know some were 10' in diameter or a little over 3m in diameter from the Titan days.  I shouldn't have just said to keep the military production working.  I wasn't thinking about the SLS solids having some of the same components thus economy of scale to keep costs down.   

But wouldn't they both come out of the same facility?  Use similar techniques?  Use similar raw materials?  Sharing overhead and making more economical purchases can add up.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #222 on: 04/03/2017 11:55 pm »

"The company has also refurbished a 60,000-square-foot production building, including installation of automated tooling, cranes and other equipment to enable the manufacture of large-diameter composite-case rocket motors. Recently, the company completed the manufacturing of prototype motor test articles to be used in verification activities this summer."

- Ed Kyle

And a picture to go with this part of the release...

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #223 on: 04/04/2017 12:00 am »

But wouldn't they both come out of the same facility?  Use similar techniques?  Use similar raw materials?  Sharing overhead and making more economical purchases can add up.

Learn one thing, just one tiny thing about space - everything is special one does.

And once its special ... things aren't similar. That's the only "simple" there is ... about space.  :o

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13846
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #224 on: 04/04/2017 01:20 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island