Author Topic: Mobile version of NSF  (Read 113094 times)

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
Re: Mobile version of NSF
« Reply #100 on: 05/01/2018 11:43 pm »
:-X That's up there with "get rid of the Shuttle forum section! ;)

It's very popular and there would be riots of we got rid of it. People need help finding the forum section that shows where the discussions on that subject take place.

Looks great in desktop. :P

#DesktopTillIDie
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Maybe we could move it to the bottom of the article, so that it pops up at the end of the article on mobile?
« Last Edit: 05/02/2018 07:00 pm by Michael Baylor »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #101 on: 05/02/2018 04:47 am »

I've noticed that issue as well. My solution would be to scrap the "See Also" bar. I don't think it's needed.

Edit: Well, maybe it is useful. Not sure if people use it or not. Is there a way to measure the clicks from it?  :P

:-X That's up there with "get rid of the Shuttle forum section! ;)

It's very popular and there would be riots of we got rid of it. People need help finding the forum section that shows where the discussions on that subject take place.

Looks great in desktop. :P

#DesktopTillIDie
Just rename the Shuttle forum section the NASA Historical section and add Mercury Gemini, Apollo et cetera to flesh out the section and rename the current historical thread to general historical.

Online Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #102 on: 09/23/2018 08:54 pm »
Question about the mobile website handling of unread topics.

Do you use a cookie on the mobile browser to track last message read for a topic, or is the message number tracked on the server associated with my logged in id?

I often switch back and forth between my iPhone Safari browser and my Windows 10 desktop Chrome browser.  I have NO confidence in the mobile browser ability to position me at the next unread message for a topic, whether last visited via mobile or desktop browser.

This is something I think the <cast your favorite aspersion> Tapatalk application did, but I've been trying to switch off of that and use the mobile website.

Suggestions?  Chrome on iPhone maybe?  Or is there a setting in my profile I've not found ...
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Online Eer

« Reply #103 on: 12/30/2018 02:31 pm »

Do you use a cookie on the mobile browser to track last message read for a topic, or is the message number tracked on the server associated with my logged in id?

I often switch back and forth between my iPhone Safari browser and my Windows 10 desktop Chrome browser.  I have NO confidence in the mobile browser ability to position me at the next unread message for a topic, whether last visited via mobile or desktop browser.

This is something I think the <cast your favorite aspersion> Tapatalk application did, but I've been trying to switch off of that and use the mobile website.

Suggestions?  Chrome on iPhone maybe?  Or is there a setting in my profile I've not found ...

So, taking Chris' suggestion that this is the right place to provide my feedback ...

The mobile site doesn't seem to offer something equivalent to the "New" button that the main desktop site offers.

The "Unread Topics" on the desktop site includes a "New" icon that causes a URL like "https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46644.msg1128440;topicseen#new" to be offered, with the tag ";topic seen#new" in the URL.

The mobile site doesn't seem to offer that, though I'd expect that is what the right arrow would give me on the "Recent Unread Topics" page would give me.  What I generally get there is a url of the sort https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47004.msg1894247;topicseen#msg1894247 which isn't the same thing.

Help?

From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Online Eer

« Reply #104 on: 12/30/2018 02:34 pm »

So, taking Chris' suggestion that this is the right place to provide my feedback ...

The mobile site doesn't seem to offer something equivalent to the "New" button that the main desktop site offers.

The "Unread Topics" on the desktop site includes a "New" icon that causes a URL like "https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46644.msg1128440;topicseen#new" to be offered, with the tag ";topic seen#new" in the URL.

The mobile site doesn't seem to offer that, though I'd expect that is what the right arrow would give me on the "Recent Unread Topics" page would give me.  What I generally get there is a url of the sort https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47004.msg1894247;topicseen#msg1894247 which isn't the same thing.

Help?
And, here's my browser info from my desktop browser visiting the mobile site: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #105 on: 12/31/2018 09:47 pm »

Help?
And, here's my browser info from my desktop browser visiting the mobile site: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36

I'm getting the same link on the full site under the 'new' button and the mobile site under the right arrow. (and the same result, they are both taking me to the first new post in the thread).

The different url's you are seeing come from two different places, the first one is on a section page, while the 2nd one is on the 'unread' page. In both cases the link is consistent between the full site and the mobile site, as far as I can tell.

But since we are here, I'll mention that if there are no 'new' posts, there doesn't seem to be a way to go the last page of a thread on the mobile site.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #106 on: 02/07/2019 09:18 pm »
Something's going on with the mobile version since the last hour. Mark's been informed.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #107 on: 02/07/2019 09:25 pm »
Something's going on with the mobile version since the last hour. Mark's been informed.

There might have been a reset (my bad) to your mobile preferences which leads to you getting another "privacy" and/or "cookie" and/or "registration" page. After switching to the mobile theme (bottom of page) everything should be back to normal.

Mark

[edit]  I just found another issue which is resolved now.. should work again
« Last Edit: 02/07/2019 09:33 pm by NSF Webmaster »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #108 on: 02/07/2019 09:34 pm »

There might have been a reset (my bad) to your mobile preferences which leads to you getting another "privacy" and/or "cookie" and/or "registration" page. After switching to the mobile theme (bottom of page) everything should be back to normal.

Mark
Thanks for getting back to me.

Now I'm getting mobile mode on the front page, but not the  forums. Tried refreshing/click-mobile and using a new Chrome tab/click-mobile
DM

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #109 on: 02/07/2019 09:35 pm »

Mark

[edit]  I just found another issue which is resolved now.. should work again
BINGO!!

Thanks!!
DM

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #110 on: 02/07/2019 09:36 pm »
BINGO!!

Thanks!!

Great, thanks for reporting back!

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #111 on: 02/21/2019 11:13 pm »
This is a strange issue I came across on one thread. Anyone else ever had this issue and if so what was your solution?
« Last Edit: 02/22/2019 12:05 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #112 on: 02/22/2019 12:08 am »
That's the strangest issue I've ever seen with mobile NSF. *Seems* to be just RH, but yeah - before Mark tries to work it out, I've never heard anyone else note such an issue, so it could be specific to this member. Still want to get to the bottom of it.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Eer

« Reply #113 on: 02/22/2019 02:26 pm »

Help?

I'm getting the same link on the full site under the 'new' button and the mobile site under the right arrow. (and the same result, they are both taking me to the first new post in the thread).

The different url's you are seeing come from two different places, the first one is on a section page, while the 2nd one is on the 'unread' page. In both cases the link is consistent between the full site and the mobile site, as far as I can tell.

But since we are here, I'll mention that if there are no 'new' posts, there doesn't seem to be a way to go the last page of a thread on the mobile site.
So, checking from my desktop, Chrome browser at the mobile site - the right arrow URL on the Recent Unread Topics page shows:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45440.msg1914048;topicseen#msg1914048

But on the Full Site page, the NEW button is

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45440.msg1905893;topicseen#new

And the icon in the last post column is

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45440.msg1914048;topicseen#msg1914048

Which is what I experience on my iPhone native browser.

So - if you are getting the #new on the right arrow on topics on the Recent Unread Topics page, perhaps there is a setting difference on your account from whatever setting I have set on mine.  Or maybe it's somewhere I'm not looking.

I'd like to figure out what the setting is for what parameter and how to set it on mine, because to be clear ...

Right now, on my account, in mobile mode, on the Recent Unread Topics page, the right arrow down the right hand side of the screen gets me a URL to the last message posted in the topic thread, and I would like it to instead give me a url to the first unread message (e.g., #new) of the topic thread. 

How to I make it do that?

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Online mn

• United States
« Reply #114 on: 02/22/2019 03:03 pm »

Help?

So, checking from my desktop, Chrome browser at the mobile site - the right arrow URL on the Recent Unread Topics page shows:

But on the Full Site page, the NEW button is

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45440.msg1905893;topicseen#new

And the icon in the last post column is

Which is what I experience on my iPhone native browser.

So - if you are getting the #new on the right arrow on topics on the Recent Unread Topics page, perhaps there is a setting difference on your account from whatever setting I have set on mine.  Or maybe it's somewhere I'm not looking.

I'd like to figure out what the setting is for what parameter and how to set it on mine, because to be clear ...

Right now, on my account, in mobile mode, on the Recent Unread Topics page, the right arrow down the right hand side of the screen gets me a URL to the last message posted in the topic thread, and I would like it to instead give me a url to the first unread message (e.g., #new) of the topic thread. 

How to I make it do that?

Thanks for your help.

Ed

You are correct, I am indeed getting a different link, I didn't notice it, and it is taking me to the last page.

Offline Keldor

• Colorado
  • Liked: 896
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #115 on: 02/26/2019 11:34 pm »
I'm having some severe usability issues with the mobile version of the forum.

1.  Creating a new account on mobile does not work.  It fails with an error message about not agreeing to terms and conditions.  However, terms and conditions are not on the account information form where you create your username and password and so forth.  It shows them in a previous window, and I checked the boxes, but apparently the hook is broken.

2.  When posting a message, the form layout is recalculated after every letter, or indeed any time the cursor is moved.  This results in the browser reseting the view to the top of the page, rendering posting messages longer than what fit the screen effectively impossible.

3.  Website does not respect the "desktop site" option in the mobile browser.  For obvious reasons, I want to use the desktop version of the site, but the server insists on sending the mobile layout regardless.

I'm using Chrome on an Android tablet.  Both the OS and the browser should be the most recent versions.  Android 8.1.0 and Chrome 72.0.3626.105

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #116 on: 02/27/2019 02:05 am »
3.  Website does not respect the "desktop site" option in the mobile browser.  For obvious reasons, I want to use the desktop version of the site, but the server insists on sending the mobile layout regardless.

I use the desktop version of the site in Chrome on my Android phone (Galaxy S7) and it works fine for reading and posting.

edit: I use the "Full Site" button on the page to get to the desktop version
« Last Edit: 02/27/2019 02:29 am by gongora »

Online mn

• United States
« Reply #117 on: 02/27/2019 02:22 am »
I'm having some severe usability issues with the mobile version of the forum.
2.  When posting a message, the form layout is recalculated after every letter, or indeed any time the cursor is moved.  This results in the browser reseting the view to the top of the page, rendering posting messages longer than what fit the screen effectively impossible.

Definitely a huge pain but it is possible, I'm doing it that right now, I just type blindly and then scroll back to back to fix.

It doesn't respect the 'desktop site' browser menu option, but there is a button on the bottom right that says 'full site' and that works. (and if you want to go back to mobile, in the full site there is a link to mobile site at the very bottom of the page)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #118 on: 02/27/2019 06:42 am »
That's the strangest issue I've ever seen with mobile NSF. *Seems* to be just RH, but yeah - before Mark tries to work it out, I've never heard anyone else note such an issue, so it could be specific to this member. Still want to get to the bottom of it.

I have seen this issue once or twice - IIRC some URL links' special characters might have caused this issue.
Maybe someone might help to check that?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #119 on: 02/27/2019 07:15 am »

You are correct, I am indeed getting a different link, I didn't notice it, and it is taking me to the last page.

Yep. It's been this way for a long time and makes the mobile version quite a pain to use if you've not viewed unread for a while. For as long as I can stand it, I go to the last post with that button then scroll backwards to find where I think I left off. Really not ideal. The desktop site is far too small on my phone so that's not a solution.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography